Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Aftermarket Non-Adjustable Flathead Lifters?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by patmanta, Jan 7, 2016.

1. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

I couldn't find much discussion of solid lifter options here on the HAMB so I figured I'd ask. I'm somewhat interested in these because I'm considering running a stock Ford EAB or Merc 1CM cam in my 8BA flathead build-up. I believe my block has the 8BA-6500-A lifters currently, so I'm not sure what if any gains there would be replacing them if they're in good enough shape to be reinstalled. Aren't the 8BA lifters what they used on the 8N tractors? Are they slugs as compared to the slotted style lifters?

These seem to be a Mac's replacement for the Ford 18-6500 lifters.
    Valve Tappet - Non-Adjustable With Slotted Sides - Ford Flathead V8 Except 60 HP

64-12047.jpg

C&G has a similar lifter (cheaper too), listed as 91A-6500.

[​IMG]

VanPelt seems to have their own flavor of these as well, (91A-6500 Tappet - Hollow) that looks different from the CG listing.

[​IMG]
    I've seen some that look like the 8BA-6500A's but with really big holes too.

Anyone care to educate me on fixed lifters?

2. Ole don

Ole don

You are correct about the lifters being the same for the tractor. If I were planning to use these, I would look for the lightest. If cost is high, check on two sets for the tractor. I currently have two sets of 172 industrial engine lifters in my streetable Y block.

3. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

I wonder what the weight is on them. All I've managed to find is a page on Reds-Headers that states:
    Flathead V-8 lifters may be adjustable or fixed. Some of the weights I've seen are
    45-52 grams. Hollow stock non-adjustable lifter. There are at least three types of these.
    83 grams. Production hollow adjustable lifter.
    103 grams. Modern Johnston adjustable, solid, with oblong lots on the sides.
    118 grams. TRW made adjustable lifters for Ford.
    143 grams. So far the heaviest I've found; a 1953 part number solid lifter.

4. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I had some new solid, non-adjustable lifters, reportedly Ford tractor lifters, and I decided NOT to use them in the Merc flathead I built a few years ago. They were very heavy, as borne out by the weights you posted above. It seems to me, one would want the lightest, good quality, lifters for an engine build.
    Granted, the adjustables are a bit heavier than non-adj, and that is what I used, believing the small gain in weight was worth the convenience of adjustment.

Ray

patmanta likes this.

5. Gene Boul

Gene Boul

I believe my block has the 8BA-6500-A lifters currently, so I'm not sure what if any gains there would be replacing them if they're in good enough shape to be reinstalled.
    The answer is there is no advantage only disadvantages. I can't think of any currently produced flattie knock-off that is better than the original Henry. Maybe tires and batteries excluded.