Register now to get rid of these ads!

After a very long slumber, the 41 convertible runs!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chris, Aug 5, 2011.

1. I bought this car a couple weeks ago. I would guess this car got parked in the 60's. The engine turned over by hand when I bought it, but as I looked through the spark plug holes I could see a couple stuck valves. So I pulled one head and the intake. It was very clean inside and I got the valves free. Put it all back together and tried to fire it but it had very low compression. I poured some Marvels Mystery oil in the cylinders and messed with it for a couple days. Finally I hooked the starter to 12V and the ignition to 6V to get it spinning faster. That did the trick as she popped right off. I had it run for a good 20-30 minutes to get nice and warm. Even warm it had oil pressure...any pressure is good when idleing and hot for a flathead :D It ran very well, smoked light crazy! I'm sure all that MMO and penetrating oil I put it in is not helping. Hopefully with an oil change it will fie down a bit!!! I gotta do the brakes and some wiring, get a gas tank and she should be on the road!!! My goal is to drive this thing on the Flathead run to Vantage, WA Sept 17th.

Lenny was woring on his 39 convertible sedan, it looked like "black convertible with a white top" night at my place :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. el shad

el shad

Those pics are too cool! Congrats. You made me envious!

3. el shad

el shad

Those pics are too cool! Congrats. You made me envious!

4. BJR

BJR

Are you sure the oil pressure gage goes up high enough for that engine? It only goes to 150 lbs. Bet after you run it awhile the rings will get unstuck and it will smoke a lot less. Wish it were mine.

5. el shad

el shad

I only posted once. The second one must be Ryans trickery and shenanigans!

6. el shad

el shad

I only posted once. The second one must be Ryans trickery and shenanigans!

7. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

It looks good to me. don't get discouraged before you take it for a few trips. My sleeping Studebaker took a few trips up and down the road before the smoke stopped. Just getting it up to operating temps a few times sitting in a garage wouldn't do it. I did put a qt of MMO in the oil too. I don't believe in an overhaul in a can but this stuff freed up my rings and the smoking is all gone now. I was worried for a week or so.

I love the look of your convertible.

8. I love getting shit running again after sitting for long periods of time,it makes you feel good!!

9. chaddilac

chaddilac

That's awesome!! really dig the last pic!!!!

10. hotrd32

hotrd32
    from WA

Excellent stuff...Chris.........."Thee Inland Old Convertible-ors".........

11. Forgot to mention that the generator is also working. I have the ignition bypassed to run it, but the lights came on when it fired...they were running off the generator!

12. I like that!

Last night she fired up again, and like before smoked like house fire! I got her nice and warm and drained the oil, man it was gross!!! Letting it drip all last night and today and will re-fill and try it again. I do know there is a ton of MMO in the exhaust (it is dripping out a rust hole in the muffler) so it's gonna smoke until I get new exhaust on it I suspect.

13. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Love that car! Lippy

[​IMG]

14. hotrod-40

hotrod-40

Can you believe it! Where is your 29 roadster?

15. Nice pics! It's fun to get what was dead, back to life. Working on doing the same with my '47 Hudson, off the road since 1965.

16. Ken Carvalho

Ken Carvalho

Did you 'ole man help Lenny with his stuck valve??? We (actually he did, I was just pestering him) pulled the plugs and found a stuck Intake I think, Haven't been back over there since, but seems like he's at your place fixing it now???

17. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Awesome to hear Chris!!! That thing is definitely another keeper!!! Pretty soon all of your cars are going to be so rad that you won't have anything to sell!!!

18. Yeah, Lenny actually pulled the head, got the valve free, cleaned eveything and put it all back together! We just went over and helped him torque the head and intake. Put the coolant back in it, hit the key and it fired right up and purred!!! I was pretty stoked for him, he fixed it himeself!

19. There is nothing quite as rewarding as "waking the dead"!!!:D

It's my favorite part of any build.

20. HeyyCharger

HeyyCharger

Wow what a cool buy Chris!!

You should get some tests done and check if you've got any traces of Henry Ford in you....

Now this picture gives me a tingle down my spine! This could be a very, very period image!!

[​IMG]

21. brady1929

brady1929

22. Thanks guys, heres a small update. I had a leaky water pump so put some new Bob Drake pumps on I had for another project. Both of em leaked...took them off and filed the mounting surface to find that they were not flat. Spent some time filing both and now they dont leak but what a pain in the ass.
    Also got a new gas tank from Tanks, need to install it. The clutch linkage was shot and it ground going into gear so I took it all out, welded and redrilled the hobbled out holes and now if seems to shift fine. Now I just gotta do the brakes, install the tank and a little wirng and it should be a driver!

23. kisam

kisam

Wow, that was quick! Congrats Chris!

24. Hot Rod Elvis

Hot Rod Elvis

If that was black and white, I'd believe it was a garage scene from the mid 40's:eek:

That is so cool, I wish I coulda been there when it fired up for the first time! I just love 41's.

-Cody

25. The37Kid

The37Kid

WOW! You guys just have a nack for finding great cars, have fun with it! Bob

26. Toner283

Toner283

Like this??

[​IMG]

Or how about this?

[​IMG]

Cool cars!

27. 60widewhitez

60widewhitez

Man that is a very kool picture.. Keep updating...

28. COOL! Too bad my shop is so modern!

29. Another small update:

I got the new gas tank from "Tanks" in today. It fit like a glove and with all new fuel lines now runs off it's own tank. I pulled the brakes apart to go through them. I have everything for the hydraulic end, and the shoes/drums look good so will probably just put the new lines/wheel cylinders and MC on and call her good for now. I have the wheels out getting painted and got some new (but dirty :D) 6.00 16 Firestone tires from Couverkid. Thanks again Steve!!! My Dad gave me a bitchin old clamp mirror that fits the car very well, so that will solve my mirror dilemma! Lots of other little odds and ends got done too. Hope to be driving it in the next couple weeks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

30. Dave K

Dave K

Holy crap that car is cool!!!!!!