Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects After a long long search I have purchased a 1932 three window Ford coupe

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by indianapolisracer, Jan 13, 2021.

1. deuceman32

deuceman32

Indy, I like your plan. Go for it.

2. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

I think I would have to find out what the cars true value might be before I decided what to do. You could always put it in an auction with an extremely high reserve and see what it might be worth. You never know with these things. While a 32 three window is my favorite car of all time, I'd at least be sure before I started cutting............

3. 31Apickup

31Apickup

If you sell it because it is sacrilegious to modify, what keeps the next guy from cutting it up. Just do what you want with it, myself would do a hot flathead, but it’s your car.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang likes this.
  4. Todd553

Todd553

Man, nice car. You posted this thread at 8:59 yesterday. I would have had it chopped by now!

5. For a second there, I thought I was on the Ford Barn forum..... HOT ROD!

joel, kidcampbell71, loudbang and 5 others like this.
  6. HRTRK

HRTRK
    from WI.

Not to be Harsh ....... But do what ever ,"You" want to do to it ...... I would'nt even ask for opinions...... Your building it for you! ...... Who cares what someone else thinks, " IT'S YOUR CAR NOW "........ Enjoy the build.......

loudbang, Blues4U and 31hotrodguy like this.
  7. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

Just a thought and everyone has their reasons but if it had meant a lot to the previous owner he would have hung onto it or kept it in the family. Stick to your plan, be kind to anything you remove and hotrod it! If you are truly going to loose sleep over modifying it then sell it, buy something with a title and start building what you have always wanted.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang, Todd553 and Budget36 like this.
  8. I remember seeing a '32 three window leaving a show once, years ago. Black, no chop, full fenders, full hood ... man did it look good.

That is one sweet looking car :)

Edit: I should probably clarify that is was not a stocker. Can't remember the wheels but it sat right and just looked killer.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2021
    loudbang likes this.
  9. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

I like this plan, I say go for it!

Nostrebor, loudbang and 31hotrodguy like this.
  10. aerocolor

aerocolor
    from dayton

I faced the same decision a few years ago.
    Pristine 5W from a museum. I drove it for a month stock. Not what I wanted. Just keep it tasteful please. BillCline1a.jpg 20181019_132950.jpg

11. indianapolisracer

indianapolisracer

I like that

kidcampbell71 and 31hotrodguy like this.
  12. alchemy

alchemy

Goodguys-29th-Heartland-Nationals-8-of-119.jpg

My sedan was a nice stocker when we turned it into a hotrod 15 years ago. I only drilled 13 new holes in it, and trimmed the front crossmember a little for pulley clearance. No other cutting. All the original parts are sitting in the barn for a resto some day. ;)

13. indianapolisracer

indianapolisracer

Good one

31hotrodguy likes this.
  14. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Me?
    I wouldn’t have bought that one if ...
    I already had a Hotrod 32 and I had to tear an original apart.
    I would have passed it right by looking for a rough one to save and make my own.
    You asked.

15. 55blacktie

55blacktie

When my wife and I were married in 1980, we rode in the rumble seat of a three-window Deuce/w an SBC and Torque Thrust wheels. Our photo appeared in the paper/w the caption, "Couple Rides in Style." For me, it probably is the most memorable moment of the wedding. If you read this, Thank you, Ken and Shirley.

By the way, I prefer 3-windows, but easier to see out of a 5-window.

Beaty and 31hotrodguy like this.
  16. Easy, go to a swap meet and buy a butchered firewall and rework it. Do all the engine mounting with bolts, no welding or torching. Save all the stocker stuff for later if necessary. Hang the Olds in there and go have fun.

loudbang likes this.
  17. Budget36

Budget36

I think it was @Tman in another post about the “pussification” of the HAMB.

So all you fellas that say “make sure it can be returned to stock like it was”...when you sell something, even that old dresser in the corner, and the buyer says I’m going to paint it and not stain it, would you turn down the price you agreed upon? Would you lose sleep about it?
    If I sold a “xxx” and you give me what makes the price right, you can take it home and do with it what you want.

We see many post here about “ I want to do this, and make it look original “.
    Then go to that vehicle forum and figure it out.
    Heck, doesn’t anyone recall @Flop post about chopping the top off a perfect Model A? Didn’t see any “No, don’t do that”

His car, plain and simple.

Tman, kidcampbell71 and loudbang like this.
  18. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

And it still has a flathead.

19. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

I’m pretty sure that olds ain’t gonna just bolt right in with a little help from an adapter kit, I think your going to have to move the radiator forward or push the firewall and trans back

since when are Flathead 32s not hotrods?

20. indyjps

indyjps

Swap it, go take the old owner for a ride, mention you got it tuned up.

Both cars are very nice. Stance on the 5 window is perfect.

loudbang likes this.
  21. Norris McCarty

Norris McCarty
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I like your plan....hot rod it....or move to the Ford Barn :)

loudbang likes this.
  22. 1ton

1ton

Keep in mind that we are talking about a 1932 3 window in near mint condition. The holy grail for a lot of people.

aerocolor, Beaty and Budget36 like this.
  23. Budget36

Budget36

So?

Then double the OPs money and save it for.....whoever

Nostrebor, slug and loudbang like this.
  24. Norris McCarty

Norris McCarty
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I’d seriously pay more for an extremely well done 50s to early 60s ‘32 3 window hot rod than a mint stocker......as would most

loudbang and saltracer219 like this.
  25. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

From 1953 Hop Up. Scan0535.jpg
    IMG_20201124_0004.jpg

Todd553 and Moondog13 like this.
  26. slug

slug

People act like you are cutting the whole car up. Like another said you can save the firewall and use a UPI and cut if needed. If it works out like a SBC in the same situation the trans bolts in the original spot and radiator stays in the original spot with no cutting to the firewall just need front motor mounts and maybe a trim on the front crossmember. All could be reversed if needed down the road. Whats the chances of that ever happening. Make it your Hot Rod. All others buy your own stocker and have fun in the parades. Just my 2 cents. Not worth that probably!

loudbang, Dick Stevens and Algoma56 like this.
  27. I could just see a guy buying all of the stock stuff as one lot saying
    " One day I'm going to find a slightly hot rodded car to use all this stuff on to restore it to it's stock glory "
    Ha ha ha

Tman, slug, kidcampbell71 and 2 others like this.
  28. Bullit68

Bullit68
    from Verona, PA

I spent years looking for a 1962 Rambler. Wanted to find the nicest one to build my dream hot rod out of, collected parts for years and now I have it! Have a built engine and five speed trans, 9” rear end. Why start with a rusted car, just saved to buy the best starting point I could. Now, replace 1962 Rambler with 1932 Ford and read again... does that help any?

slug and loudbang like this.
  29. indianapolisracer

indianapolisracer

I agree buy the best you can , I always have and its worked for me !

slug and loudbang like this.
  30. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Back to a question asked earlier. How would the 87 year old guy feel. So he is, lets say a member of the Ford barn. So a guy who belongs to the HAMB buys it and puts an Olds motor in it. He sells it and the new owner puts an electric motor in it. When does it end. When is it wrong. It`s your car, do what you want.

slug, Norris McCarty and Dick Stevens like this.