Register now to get rid of these ads!

After 40 years I decided to loan my 33 out

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by exStreamliner, Apr 30, 2013.

1. exStreamliner

exStreamliner

If it is collecting more dust than miles and your undecided on what to do with a rod you built and owned for forty years... good options are hard to come by... I loaned it to my son who kept it for a year and really did't drive it enough to warrant the garage space... so, I had an offer to loan the car out and it seemed like a great idea... today it was loaded up and going to the Gilmore Car Museum as part of a two year display of Rods & Customs... this way it can represent our hobby and be enjoyed.

2. exStreamliner

exStreamliner

3. hippy killer

hippy killer

4. 3blapcam

3blapcam

5. indyjps

indyjps

Sounds like you have garage space for a new project and a 2 year deadline

6. Kirk Hanning

Kirk Hanning

Excellent! I'll be sure to look for it on my next visit to the Gilmore Museum! I firmly believe that the Gilmore is one of the best automotive museums that not many people know about. With the addition of the 33' it'll make it even better!

7. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

Very good idea.

8. exStreamliner

exStreamliner

"You should attach a picture" ..... I thought of that right after I posted

[​IMG]

I still can't believe I've had it so long... it was a ground up build cause when I was a teenager and all I could afford was parts... body... then a frame... but, the only thing that has been changed since it was finished is the tires (and most folks wouldn't have noticed)...

9. zjerry

zjerry

10. exStreamliner

exStreamliner

I plan on finishing this one (27 is a lot further along but it is the latest one I had of them together)

[​IMG]

11. Redlighting

Redlighting
    from Tn

12. LesIsMore

LesIsMore
    from Ohio

Saw this one at Glenmoor (Canton, Ohio) a couple years ago (pic from above) nice.

13. I'd like to put my name on the 'loaner' list if I may. Will gladly remind you when two years is up at Gilmore. Oh, and is it a two year cycle each time it goes out? Promise I'd drive the wheels off it:)

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

14. farmer12

farmer12

Awesome, great idea.

15. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

Don't know how you cannot drive a car you built. I only have two, but I drive each one every week, if nothing more than driving along the beach or going for coffee.

16. mustangmike6996

mustangmike6996
    from the D

nice. i guess you have a place to keep it warm and clean for now

17. Cool, I finally get to see this thing when at the Relix Riot this fall.

I too would have a very hard time not driving this thing anytime the sun was out.

Good on you for letting the car be seen rather than tucked away in a garage.

18. Very cool, sounds like a nice reason to hit the Relix Riot in AUGUST......fall.....Dave we have only had 3 days of spring...do not let that word leave your mouth again....for at lease 5 months

19. greazy john

greazy john

nice car..send it south i'll be happy to take care of it for a while, have a nice clean spot for it,and we cruise every weekend..........

20. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

Agreed, sad story. Some cars become so precious to the owner, they never get driven for fear of damage. I have a buddy with a 57 hardtop that never gets driven.:(

21. bubba67

bubba67
    from NJ

It's a great idea, now everyone can enjoy it !

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

22. The37Kid

The37Kid

Looks great! That is one Museum I hope to visit some day. Bob

23. Good idea. Let others enjoy it. I have an O/T MG that I've owned since I was 16, loaned it out to a friends kid for a prom date, don't know how good of an idea that was. lol

24. exStreamliner

exStreamliner

The 33 is no show car... Far from it... It was a rust free, tweaked from racing, crudely channel hot rod, 55 gallon drum bob- shells... They filled the door tops and threw away the top... The framed was so tweaked that it only sat on three jack stands...

I located a good frame center members and Bills Rod & Custom built the chassis with repro rails... ther wasn't repro subrails or floor so we built a share tube sub-floor (12 ga flat stock on top and louver 18 ga bottom with insulation in between...

I couldn't afford repro top irons so we found a Tudor for 50 bucks and took the top for the Cabriolet... Duffy formed it into the removable hardtop using 57 Bird latches...

25. exStreamliner

exStreamliner

Sometimes life gets in the way... Last couple of years I've worked 6-7 days a week during the summer and any free time has been spent on the 27 and 57 projects... the 33 has always been a good driver but hasn't seen much use lately... The Gilmore Museum didn't seem to mind the chips in the paint or burnt paint on the bob-shells because it is what it is - an old hot rod... Not every car can be driven regularly... and several times a year locally don't seem right and how do you justify selling your first hot rod that you have had for forty years when you just keep hoping one of my three sons will at some point want Dads car

26. Haven't you heard tiki? Spring has officially been cancelled this year.

Summer begins now and runs though July. August will be fall. Ya gotta love Michigan weather! LOL.

Either way, the Relix Riot is a can't miss show. Good times for sure.

27. millersgarage

millersgarage

The display at The Gilmore is shaping up to be fantastic!

I can't wait to see it.

28. exStreamliner

exStreamliner

from what I understand the Gilmore display will focus on 50's & 60's cars... but, when I had the 27 at Detroit Autorama this year I found out my 1946 Cromwell helmet is a somewhat rare survivor... so, I asked them if they had a spot for it too...

[​IMG]

By the mid fifties Bell helmets left Cromwell's for kids to play with or kept for memories... the gentleman that bought this helmet in 46 and waited for it come back across the pond said he raced land speed on sand & salt but was mostly active in the dirt track circuits - he went by "Bugs"

The bomber jacket was my sons when he was six and was shared by his brothers when he grew out of it...

29. exStreamliner

exStreamliner

30. grazy

grazy

If you need to loan out the track roadster I want first dibs !