Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Affordable header options on a 390fe in a 64 galaxie

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tommyk74, Nov 1, 2016.

1. Tommyk74

Tommyk74
    from Nashville

I need some help tracking down affordable header options for my car
    First off my car is a 1964 galaxie with a 390fe with cast heads one day they will be upgraded to aluminum so I would like to use them on either but it's not a deal breaker. I have power steering, automatic trans, and the giant starter and generator. My galaxie is lowered with 3 inch blocks in the back and 1 1/2 coils cut on the front so ground clearance another problem.

Any options would be great long tubes, shorties, mid-lengths, block huggers and or cast iron options all and all I'm looking for some advice form some of you guys that own galaxies or have owned

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. RmK57

RmK57

I would rule out long tubes if your car is lowered. The affordable long tubes have the front two tubes pass under the lower control arms, even with normal ride height they still drag on speed bumps. I would be looking at shorties and they may
    have to be modified to clear your steering box , crossmember, ...........

3. rjones35

rjones35

4. Tommyk74

Tommyk74
    from Nashville

I was thinking 400 or less. I have been looking for header a long time Now and I know that number is going to be difficult or Impossible to get that cheep. I was just hopping Someone on here knew something I didn't.

5. mikhett

mikhett
    from jackson nj

I have FPA LONG tubes on my 62 XL but its not lowered.I guess 700.00 in 2007 might not be AFFORDABLE, though.

6. Tommyk74

Tommyk74
    from Nashville

7. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I bought a set of their headers for a Cad 500 in a Chevelle/camaro the other day and they got here in record time and look pretty decent. Haven't tried them on yet. The welds are a bit sloppy in a spot or two and I might have to have my son touch those up but the price was great.
    They show a set for a FE in your car.
    https://racinginnovationandsupply.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=ford+390+exhaust+headers
    Also says the 65 and later is different than the 64 and earlier

8. Rex_A_Lott

Rex_A_Lott

Buy your own tubing, make your own headers. After a while one of two things will happen:
    Either you will have a fine set of headers you can be proud of, or the price starts looking better and better for the others. Good Luck

falcongeorge and X38 like this.
  9. Hot Rod Cowboy

Hot Rod Cowboy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

http://maddogheaders.net/products/ford

Scroll down a good ways. Part #9201 for '60-'64 Galaxies w/FE.
    $450 and made in the US.

I don't have any first hand experience but I know some 4x4 guys that had good things to say about their headers.

10. Tommyk74

Tommyk74
    from Nashville

These look pretty nice lots of different headers depending on your cars options

11. FritzTownFord

FritzTownFord

First off, you're running an FE - nothing is cheap about building them. You want cheap, dump the FE and drop in a nice 5.0L and problem solved. Now, if you really want to keep the FE, your next problem is no matter which brand you buy they will be a Royal Bitch to install in that Galaxie. Soooo...
    Just do it once and do it best with the FPA headers. They are built like a NASCAR project - don't leak at the heads or the flange, and they will last longer than your engine. (use studs and nuts). I know this because I've used two sets - one on my F-250 Camper (10 years with no leaks), and on my Hot Rod - three years and scraped over curbs with no damage.

12. Tommyk74

Tommyk74
    from Nashville

Trust me I know the exhaust manifold drama, and manifold bolts drama. I just installed fresh heads with studs and nuts I also installed an old street master intake . I only broke 3 blots in process. I put my cast manifolds back on shamefully.

13. RmK57

RmK57

The Crites / Maddog headers are good value, ( I have a set on my 57) but there sure not going to work on a lowered Galaxie. Buy a cheap set of shorties and cut'em up to fit if you have to, who knows you may get lucky and not have to cut anything.

14. Tommyk74

Tommyk74
    from Nashville

I feel way better about cutting up a set of 150 dollar headers then a 400 to 600 dollar set

15. 57Custom300

57Custom300
    from Arizona

X2. Had a 63 Galaxie 4sp car way back when with a set of Hooker long tube headers. You would think a big car like that would be easy to install those headers. You had to put the zbar and the header in at the same time with the engine jacked up against the body. Starter side was no easier. Car wasn't lowered either. If you had the heads off they would go right in though.