Register now to get rid of these ads!

AFB leaky primary shaft

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rodshop, Aug 10, 2005.

1. Rodshop

Rodshop

What do people know about remedies for a leaky shaft in an AFB? I have a nicely matched set of AFB's for a dual carb set up, but after the rebuild the only problem is one primary shaft is leaking. Any remedies?
    Rodshop

2. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

You should be able to pull the offending shaft out of the carb body by removing the throdel plates, the screws that hold the blades to the shaft are staked, you will have to file/grind off the staked part to remove the screws. Don't get carried away grinding, you will need to restake them and then remove the end screw. Once the shaft is out you can replace the shaft bushing (if your carbs have the removable bushings) or drill out the throdle plate with the correct drill for the new bushings and install new bushings. Bushings used to be available at parts houses like NAPA, but you may be able to get them at Eldbrock since they bought out Carter also.

Been a few years (lots of years?) since I've done this, would want to find the replacement bushings before you get too carried away. Gene

3. Rodshop

Rodshop

I didn't know if bushings were availible. I will check into that. I don't beleive that Mine has bushings since I did have the shaft out when I rebuilt the carbs. I will check further on that. Thanks. Rodshop