Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Aero-Engined Vintage Racers

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SteveLines, Nov 11, 2007.

1. Parts48

Parts48
    from Tucson, Az
    1. Hot Rod Veterans

[​IMG]
    Higham Special or Babs 27-litre Liberty aero-engined racer as raced by Parry Thomas, who was killed driving this car whilst atempting land speed record.
    <NOSCRIPT></NOSCRIPT><!-- ############## COMMENTS -->

chriseakin likes this.
  2. Parts48

Parts48
    from Tucson, Az
    1. Hot Rod Veterans

[​IMG]
    1922 Leylat

chriseakin likes this.
  3. Parts48

Parts48
    from Tucson, Az
    1. Hot Rod Veterans

[​IMG]
    Imagine seeing this in your mirrors...:eek:

Or hearing 16 TWO stroke cylinders screaming at full song. Went 155MPH at Monaco..but handling was an issue

brEad and chriseakin like this.
  4. 1952henry

1952henry

Among other things, the copper manifolds are eye candy!

5. And a hand crank. :eek:
    Imagine trying to turn that over.

6. Cris

Cris
    from Vermont

Ian, what is the car next to the Pic Pic?

Thanks for all the photos.

Cris

7. Dirtynails

Dirtynails
    from garage

How about a Aero engined motorcycle?
    Lucky Kiezer built this years ago from two cylinders cut from the end of a Rolls Royce merlin. I watched lucky trying to run the engine on the salt in a stramliner back in 1998 but it wouldn't run right. It worked better in the bike frame,5000 CC'S!!!!
    [​IMG]

chriseakin likes this.
  8. Dirtynails

Dirtynails
    from garage

[​IMG]
    Heres the engine,yes it was blown,at one point it had TWO 1000 CFM carbs! ,then nitrous.:eek::eek:
    It was advertised for sale a few years back. i don't know if it were sold or not,i haven't seen lucky for a few years.
    Engine: The two end cylinders off a Rolls Royce Merlin 24litre V12 aero engine. Originally fitted to a Mosquito bomber. Making a special new crank for it took 300 hours.
    Gearbox: 3 speed Holden car gearbox and engine speed clutch. Air operated.
    Rear drive: Big Chain.
    Frame: One off construction using engine as stressed member.
    Wheels:Front: Suzuki GS1100G.
    Back: Big drag slick.
    Electrics: Unknown.
    Starting: DC3Aero starter operated by assistant.

chriseakin likes this.
  9. ehdubya

ehdubya

Synonymous with the Gypsy Major powered Stanton Special, they're probably both running today at the Skope Classic at Ruapuna.

[​IMG]

New Zealand National Speed Records (as at May 1964)
    Flying Start Kilometre Sprint
    Class B 5,000 to 8,000 c.c. M. F. Stanton (Stanton Special)
    12·87 sec. 173·8 m.p.h.

Standing Start Kilometre Sprint
    23·13 sec. 96·7 m.p.h.

Standing Start Quarter-mile Sprint
    12·42 sec. 72·46 m.p.h.

How about aussie Wizard Smith's car that made a LSR attempt at Ninety Mile Beach NZ in 1932, not sure if it was a Rolls or Napier powered or both.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 5, 2009
  10. The37Kid

The37Kid

[​IMG] I believe there were 4 Blitzen Benz race cars built, if you scroll back up to the photo of Babs the transaxle in that car came from one of the parted out Blitzen Benz.

11. Bobby Green

Bobby Green

This is one of my all time favorite threads.

12. rick finch

rick finch

You got that shit right Bobby! Wow, some really cool stuff, thanks.:cool:

13. that car is a repro, a recreation...just so it doesn't accidently get passed of as "original"

There were 4 Benz aero engined racers, of which there are no intact survivors...though there is a repro? in the Mercedes Museum, then there is a gentleman in Oregon who has spent a great number of years collecting Pre-WW1 race cars, who has what appears to be one of the cars that was rebodied with a touring, which was run at Brooklands in said guise. The car in the pictures was "created" in San Diego out parts acquired from the Mercedes factory.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2009
  14. Kiwi Tinbender

Kiwi Tinbender

Thanks for the Stanton pics.....saw that at the Beach Races in Nelson when I was a kid....Charlie Benseman drove it, and I seem to remember he took the Gypsy Moth out and put a Smallblock Chevy in it.....It is in the Beach Race Book by Mike Stephens, if any of you Kiwiis have this, it is a cool book, brought back lots of memories for me. I think my first Beach Racing experience must have been 62 or 63....

15. Kiwi Tinbender

Kiwi Tinbender

I happened to see the Mercedes that the Gentleman from Oregon has when it was in a friends Shop to be re-bodied....The double Chain drive transmission was hand built and a work of Art.....Should have been as the price tag for it was reputed to be $70k...

16. Here's a Rolls Royce powered Rolls Royce we saw at Pebbel Beach last year.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

chriseakin likes this.
  17. The37Kid

The37Kid

He had the car at Hershey 2-3 years ago, looked like a great road car. Really nice guy with some truely great cars that everyone looks forward to seeing every October.

18. speedtool

speedtool
    BANNED

Has anyone mentioned the "Mormon Meteor lll" that Ab Jenkins ran out on the salt setting record after record? It had a Liberty aircraft engine.

http://www.pricemuseumofspeed.org/ - watch the video.

19. ehdubya

ehdubya

I found some Wizard Smith Enterprise pics and seem to remember reading something like the backer got the Australian defence minister to lean on the brits for a schneider cup napier and there was some disagreement with designer Don Harkness over the change from the Rolls, whatever it gained an awkward nose appendage.

Wizard' Smith's 'Enterprise', Sydney, 4 August 1931 : mit der svelt snoz

http://acms.sl.nsw.gov.au/item/itemDetailPaged.aspx?itemID=52363

Fred H Stewart Enterprise 90 mile beach

http://timeframes.natlib.govt.nz/lo...&num_result=66&Object_Layout=viewimage_object

Norman Smith 1932

http://timeframes.natlib.govt.nz/lo...&num_result=83&Object_Layout=viewimage_object

Norman 'Wizard' Smith and Don Harkness in the car Anzac, Ninety Mile Beach.[ca 22 Jan 1930]

http://timeframes.natlib.govt.nz/lo...num_result=331&Object_Layout=viewimage_object

Racing car Enterprise; Norman 'Wizard' Smith; Ninety Mile Beach.[ca 1932]

http://timeframes.natlib.govt.nz/lo...num_result=446&Object_Layout=viewimage_object

Ralph Watson's Lycoming Spl LeMans start Ardmore 9 Jan 1960

http://timeframes.natlib.govt.nz/lo...num_result=242&Object_Layout=viewimage_object

I couldn't imagine what this was when I heard it coming up the drive and saw this Curtis appear at the window with it's smoking headers. It's a DeDion with a packard transaxle my brother was delivering to a race meet down south, he said it was a bit of a handful at the 100kph speed limit.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 6, 2009
  20. leon renaud

leon renaud
    from N.E. Ct.

I don't want to argue this point but my dad drove sprints and midgets right after WWII up to late in the 53 season.I asked him about seat belts and in the early days he said most drivers preffered NOT to be belted in!When he first used a belt it was up around his chest !He said that it helped him with steering the car this was before roll bars.Almost all the early drivers he knew felt that being thrown clear of the car was an advantage in a crash.Like I said this isn't my thoughts on it but lots of old drivers.

21. George Wingards "Blitzen Benz"

[​IMG]

As it is today:

[​IMG]

22. something with a really, really long engine...

[​IMG]

23. Silly Italians and thier slow speed motors...FIAT S91

[​IMG]

24. Not Aero engined, but still bloody large, FIAT S74:

[​IMG]

25. Dirtynails

Dirtynails
    from garage

Norman Wizard Smith actually had more than one attempt on New Zealand's Ninety Mile beach. I own a property there and several relatives ( long dead now ) had stories of the attempt. Steve Simpson,A neighbour who had been a Journo with Oz's 'Wheels' magazine spoke to as many of these people as he could and published the only full account of his exploits back in the 70's .. It also helped that steve knew Don Harkness and had briefly met Wizard Smith,One of OZ's true motoring pioneers.
    You can buy a copy on the bay here..
    http://cgi.ebay.com/The-Real-Story-Wizard-Smith-Simpson-Steve_W0QQitemZ140295372840QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_Non_Fiction_Books_2?_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116