Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Aero-Engined Vintage Racers

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SteveLines, Nov 11, 2007.

1. Rolfzoller

Rolfzoller

Curtiss Krit Strip down and Engine Update

2. foolthrottle

foolthrottle

looks tickety-boo ?

3. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from so cal

Love watching this car come together.

4. Chaps - I'm looking at fitting a modest powered vintage aero engine into a vintage frame. OX5, 80hp @1400 rpm giving circa 300 ft-lb, 330NM torque at the flywheel. Same engine as many in this thread. Does anyone have a steer on what sort of the driveline is commonly used flywheel/clutch/gearbox. It's likely I'll only need the clutch for first gear/starting/reverse. Gearbox output feeds into a differential rather than chain drive. Any suggestions welcome?

5. The37Kid

The37Kid

Welcome to the HAMB Chris, looks like you have a fine stable of cars, nice to see a Bug in something other than blue. Bob

6. Thanks for the reply, full disclosure - Bug's not real, as in, not original. It's a few original parts, dimensionally accuarate BUT a pal of mine helped me make it from scratch. Call me a philistine or perhaps a cheapscate. That's the one I wanted to fit the aero engine in to, will have to stretch the chassis a bit. We sometimes just do things just because we can. The Christmas elf on my knee in the photo is my youngest son, I indoctronated him at an early age!

7. The37Kid

The37Kid

Chris, I'd like to see some closeup photos of the Bug, sure looks close to right in that photo. Bob

9. Hope this helps. I aged the paint a bit to make it look right.

Attached Files:

• Bug.jpg
      Bug.jpg
      File size:
      177.2 KB
      Views:
    motoklas likes this.
  10. Rolfzoller

Rolfzoller

FAEBCA7B-96F4-461D-92EA-3F9EFE6958FB.jpeg BA4A05CA-AC92-4182-B636-25BF1C934D91.jpeg
    First time on the road

gnichols, Ziggster, KiWinUS and 4 others like this.
  11. motoklas

motoklas
    from Bern, CH

Hello, Rolf!
    Does it seem that you made the best from this Coronavirus times?

You finished your magnificent creation of low-flying automobile! It is beautiful and for the sure, it is a mechanical masterpiece. Did I see registration plates on it? Is it road-legal as original oldtimer in Swiss? Could it be accepted by VSCC in GB?

Would it ever be ready for joy-rides for old and crazy enthusiasts, from Bern? (the Spring of 2021?)

All the best for you and your family in so difficult and dangerous times...

Zoran & Olga

Rolfzoller likes this.
  12. Rolfzoller

Rolfzoller

Lean back and enjoy !

13. foolthrottle

foolthrottle

Wow, clutch and brakes outside the cockpit, no seat belt, reach over and pump your fuel pressure up

Ned Ludd likes this.
  14. Rolfzoller

Rolfzoller

12636A35-773A-43B8-A815-D25B4DAF94CC.jpeg E40A5E79-5B81-4AC1-BF7B-4D2A5C62232D.jpeg
    I just fixed the Brooklands aero screens combinated with the rear mirror

Kume, j hansen, gnichols and 3 others like this.
  15. motoklas

motoklas
    from Bern, CH

Hello, Rolf!
    A long but wonderful adventure with your project - with a magnificent result!
    Enjoy in driving it, if possible at the first nice Spring days...

Regards, Zoran

Ziggster likes this.
  16. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

There used to be a turbine powered 32 Ford from the Tacoma, Washington area; I believe the turbine came from a helicopter. I saw it at a nostalgia event at Bremerton Raceway one year, mentioned it here, and someone posted a photo of it. Maybe they could again if they're still around? I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

17. Ziggster

Ziggster

18. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

This one?
    [​IMG]
    https://www.oldcarsweekly.com/news/boeing-turbine-engine-lands-in-hot-rod

It would be surprising if there weren't other turbine-powered Deuces out there, as 250Cs get stuffed into lots of things, for example:
    [​IMG]

19. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

^^^If it is, it has undergone quite a transition over the years^^^. I want to say orange paint and aftermarket wheels. I imagine it's the same car, just been through different owners, and all have done something different to it. I mean, how many 32 ford roadsters, powered by a turbine engine, can there be in Washington State? I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

20. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

The Len Williams car, (ex Preston Tucker son's car) is still in the Lemay Marymount collection. Len was a good friend of mine and I rode in the car a several times. It only had 210 hp but maximum torque was at stall so it really got with it off the line.

31Apickup likes this.
  21. Rolfzoller

Rolfzoller