Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Advice or opinions on modernizing vintage tach?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Paul, Nov 6, 2021.

1. Paul

Paul
    Editor

In my current project I have a mechanical tach as a place holder in the dash. I have a couple electronic tachs I'd like to run, first one then the other when I complete the set, still need a speedometer. Both are Stewart Warner and both require transmitters, which I do not have. My first thought was to buy a transmitter that could work for either, but also was considering converting the tachs to modern self contained units.
    'did a little on line research and watched a couple videos on the conversion, looks simple enough but thought it would be good to hear what others that have done it have to say.

Picture of mechanical in dash and the alternate electronics..

PXL_20211106_172342774.jpg PXL_20211106_172320790.jpg

2. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Paul, this is what you need. Early solid state sender. They show up on eBay occasionally and sometimes come with a tach like this one I got at a swap meet and when I took the cup off there it was

889D2F35-9B7F-44CC-A1F6-00DB45E9DB72.jpeg

3. Paul

Paul
    Editor

Excellent, I must say I am hesitant to modify an original tach, I will begin the search.

loudbang and Moriarity like this.
  4. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Try contacting E-Bay seller's navy32 or sixty 7 gt-500. They deal in high quality SW vintage gauge's. They're kind of pricey but it's usually NOS stuff in the box. Hope this helps.

5. bchctybob

bchctybob

My buddy sent an ancient tach to a guy up your way to have it updated and cleaned up. It came back quickly looking fabulous. We haven't tried it yet - I have his engine here in my shop. I can get the info from him if you like.
    Honestly, I wouldn't worry for a minute about modifying an old tach as long as it looks the same and you can put it into use in a car. They are pretty useless not working and just collecting dust on a shelf in the shop. Gotta get 'em out there where folks can admire the timeless style of the old gauges.

ClarkH, loudbang and 427 sleeper like this.
  6. loudbang

loudbang

Some member I THINK @tubman makes transmitters that can be used on either. :)

bchctybob and 427 sleeper like this.
  7. I'm watching this thread with interest because I have a similar issue. I have a 5" Stewart-Warner Vac-Tach I'd like to convert too but it is a very different design with a electric motor drive controlled by a module that fits inside a 1950's model distributor. That won't work for me because I want to eliminate the motor drive because its too long and bulky to fit in my roadster dash the way I want and the old distributor modules are unobtainable anyway. Any suggestions or leads on somebody that could convert it to modern guts?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

427 sleeper, bchctybob and rod1 like this.
  8. ClarkH

ClarkH
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm guessing that was Seattle Speedometer. They do great work. Moved from Seattle to Ellensberg a few years ago.

427 sleeper, loudbang and bchctybob like this.
  9. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

427 sleeper, loudbang and bchctybob like this.