Register now to get rid of these ads!

Advice on price for door panels?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by alwayzarat, Nov 15, 2010.

1. alwayzarat

alwayzarat

I'm getting a couple simple door panels made for my 27 T and I just wondered if anyone could throw out some numbers as to what a fair price would be for having them made. I'm getting 2 very simple square panels out of black vinyl with about a 4 inch horizontal stripe of silver metal flake vinyl about 3/4 of the way up the panel. There is a guy here locally that does really awesome work, and he is going to come by my house and make the templates. Then he will make the panels and swing back by and put them on for me. Just wondered what you guys thought would be a fair price for this level of service?
    Thanks!

2. alwayzarat

alwayzarat

I was guessing about $200 bucks???

3. alwayzarat

alwayzarat

I figured someone would have an opinion on this? How much have you guys paid in the past to have a door panel made???

4. Gman0046

Gman0046

The $200 sounds like a fair price to me.

5. brad chevy

brad chevy

Get the price before he does them but $200 sounds about right for easy straight door panels.

6. alwayzarat

alwayzarat

I didn't mention anything about the price, and that is what he came up with, $200 bucks. I thought that was pretty fair, especially considering he drove to my house to took the measurements and he is going to deliver/install them this friday. He usually has a HUGE backlog of business, but I think with the economy the way it is he needs the job. He does awesome work, did some motorcycle seats for me over the years that were tits! The only thing I don't like is that he is one of those guys that when you tell him what you want, he says, "No I think you should do it like this." Don't get me wrong, he has a hell of a lot more experience with how things look when they are finished v/s me and he hasn't steered me wrong yet. It just makes me nervous when someone has free reign even on something as simple as a door panel, lol!

7. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

In the end did you agree that it would look better per his suggestion or did he hard sway you?

8. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

sounds fair..
    hard to say without seeing them.

Times are a bit tuff, deals come along

9. KrisKustomPaint

KrisKustomPaint

Sounds reasonable to me, depends on a lot of factors though, exactly how much material is used, cost per yd of material, what type of board for the door panel itself, masonite, single side door panel board double side door panel board, wire clips or plastic ones, or trim screws stainless or nickle plated, yada yada yada.

A lot more going on there than you though, but most of those things don't really effect the over all price a whole lot but it all makes a difference. The biggest issue effecting price is the complexity of the panel (i.e. pleats, armrest, door pull, multi-color, ect.)

10. If they come out looking like you want AND he's doing door-to-door service, that seems more than fair.

If the fit isn't right, he should make it right and since he's installing them, it's on him if it's wrong.

I'd pay that price for that type of service. If they look better than I thought they would, I'd probably give him a tip too.

11. alwayzarat

alwayzarat

That's probably pretty good advice!

12. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

I would say about $129 to $150 a piece ? There is nothing cheap when it comes to the interior !

Retro Jim

13. alwayzarat

alwayzarat

He's pretty cut & dry. I was just going to do a real simple black panel with a horizontal stripe about 3" wide near the top of the panel. He didn't think that would look the greatest, so he wants to do a design more in the center of the panel running top to bottom. He was kinda vague, but I know he knows what will look the best in terms of the end product. I feel better knowing that he saw the car too and what will sort of match up. I will try to attach a pic of what he suggested. Not too late to change designs though, becasue he won't start until tomorrow.

14. alwayzarat

alwayzarat

I think this is kind of what he has in mind, it's growing on me.

Attached Files: