Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Advice for straightening small bend on F-100 frame

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by schuyler, Mar 12, 2018.

1. schuyler

schuyler
    from Tennessee

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. schuyler

schuyler
    from Tennessee

Hi - my 1956 F-100 frame has a bulge in it where the top and bottom of the C Channel collapsed in and the side bulged out a bit. It’s right over the axle bumpstop on the drivers side. I’m guessing it was hit sometime in the past. I have tried to ignore it as I’ve build my truck, but I can’t look past it anymore. I know the frame is only 1/8” thick and was wondering if anyone has any advise on how to get it close to flat again. The frame is not out of square, it seems like the damage is really localized to that spot. See pics and thank you. (I don’t have an oxy acetylene torch or anything - but will buy something if I have to).

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  3. ...I'd heat/bend those flanges, then the side of the framerail best I could, then box the inside maybe 8-10",
    if it wasn't a running truck, I'd cut that section out and replace it then box it, maybe the other side also even it it's not bent.....good luck with the fix, it could get worse if you don't do something...

Last edited: Mar 17, 2018
  4. shadetreerodder

shadetreerodder

Looks like the rail is pulled out. Sure the rear of the frame is square?

Sent from my SM-G955U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

5. shadetreerodder

shadetreerodder

Sorry front of frame.

Sent from my SM-G955U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

6. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

That damage may be physically small in area, but it is significant damage. I would NOT cut out that section....It can be straightened. Given your lack of equipment, I suggest you take the truck to a frame shop, one that works on trucks, since most cars don’t have that type of frame much anymore.

Port-o-power, heavy hammers, pieces of heavy channel or bar stock, clamps, etc., would all be useful in restoring the shape of that frame rail. It looks like it has ‘been worked’ already. Buying a few hours labor from a competent frame man would be a worthwhile investment.

Ray

Last edited: Mar 12, 2018
    palosfv3 likes this.
  7. I agree with this^^^