Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Advice for new guys, the guide to help you stay on track and not end up with a half finished project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Roothawg, Feb 12, 2021.

1. I think this whole post is to try to get people to be driving sooner and not have a 10 year old project that is forgotten about.

2. I take pics as I go along so I have record of progress. There are times when your project will look as though it is stalled even though you have been working diligently and making progress. Looking back over your pics reminds you of how far you have come and keeps you motivated when the ‘unwashed critics’ are harping at you for not having it running and driving yet.

3. Mimilan

Mimilan

Unless you are restoring a historic racing car from an "oil slick on the track" , never do the "dismantle of death"
    Do things one area at a time eg: engine and engine bay. then reassemble, then harness etc etc
    Try and be no more the 1-2 weeks away from reassembling it!
    so if you get tired of it ,it is still usable and sometimes revitalizes enthusiasm.

Boneyard51, Thor1, rod1 and 5 others like this.
  4. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Last edited: Feb 12, 2021
  5. AHotRod

AHotRod

Passion

I believe that one must have passion for the project most of all.
    Without passion, a project will quickly turn into just work with no end ... in my opinion.
    I always tell folks, don't spend a dime or a day on something your not passionate about as in time you will regret it.

Real Hot Rods Rule !

cktasto, Thor1, joel and 5 others like this.
  6. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

One thing I haven't seen mentioned, is things change. I gathered all the parts I needed to make the swap to Ford power from Chevy before I pulled it apart. Got it together, and the trans that I had kept stored in the dry several years turned out to be no good. Then, my business took a hit when my truck laid down, there went the money saved to have the trans rebuilt had to be spent on the truck instead, throwing me behind on the car. And it didn't happen just once, I had two major breakdowns in a short period of time that took even more money----the truck has to be my first priority as it makes my living. No matter how well you have planned, the unexpected can jump up at any time. I could have gotten discouraged and sold everything, don't think I didn't think about it a time or two, but I didn't. I've held on.

Another thing is the time factor. Unless you are retired and have a heated shop, us still working folks have to balance work time with family time. And if you work area is partially or completely outside, weather can play a huge factor. Good weather goes into that delicate balance, sure the weather is fine, but you have other things that eat up your shop time, and before you know it, it's bad weather season again and you haven't made near the progress you think you should have. I never set a time limit on stuff anymore, stuff gets done when I can do it. It saves frustration. It's a marathon, not a sprint, take time to do it right and enjoy doing it.

7. The most important one for me is don’t get hung up on perfection and above all else it should be fun.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Thor1, Ziggster and Roothawg like this.
  8. clem

clem

and transfer those photos to a back up computer for when your phone suddenly dies......

great thread, and good advice......

Thor1, Ziggster and Roothawg like this.
  9. When I was getting the '40 panel on the road, Meeker and I would work on it on Fridays and Saturdays. By doing a "build thread" here on the HAMB, it kinda helped me think through the projects for next week, document my progress for the current weekend, and the guys following the thread provided a ton of encouragement.

Thor1, joel, ClarkH and 4 others like this.
  10. southcross2631

southcross2631

I start with an idea. Then I do some self evaluation to see if I can make that idea come to life.
    I find a suitable project then I take my white board and break it down into sections. Chassis , Engine , Electrical etc.
    When I finish up a section of a section I put a red line through that part of the project. It invigorates me to finish another part of the project. When I see everything is marked off I hit the key or the switch and drive it out of the garage.
    This has worked for me for many years.

Thor1 and Roothawg like this.
  11. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

I think its important to not settle too far from your goal. If your dream car is a 32 Ford coupe but there is no way you can afford one, a Model A or 32 Chevy coupe might be close enough to keep you happy. But buying a 38 Dodge 4 dr just because it was cheap will be a sure fire way to loose interest and burn up any money you could be saving for that dream car.

Tman, Thor1, Dan Hay and 3 others like this.
  12. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have absolutely no frigging idea on this one. I've probably had A D D all my life truth be known. I often have to concentrate on what I am doing to the point I shut everything else out so I can get it done right .
    The suggestions of chalk boards, white boards or a list on paper are probably the best ones. I know I could get a lot more done if I wrote out the plan for the day and stuck to the plan just as I wrote out a course syllabus for my classes when I was teaching and then a lesson plan for each class for each day. Having that list up where you can mark the items off and actually have a "this is what I intend to do today" is probably the best for finishing a project in a decent time frame.

13. Lil32

Lil32

good advice
    I had restored cars but could not build a hotrod that would pass our tough registration laws
    so this is what I did
    had a photo of coupe in my mind and then wrote down from front to rear parts needed
    then rang parts suppliers in Aussie and USA for prices
    took all this information to a 60's hotrodder and told him I wanted this built (he later trimmed coupe)
    he directed me to a builder who liked the project (who told me coupe had to be painted RED) ha ha
    told me to order all parts, chassis and body (glass) arrived ,with other parts etc
    five months from that day coupe was finished and registered. we later changed wheels from 5 spokes
    coupe is now 20 years old and we enjoy daily if weather is good to us
    lil32_0003.jpg

MJW, Thor1, rod1 and 1 other person like this.
  14. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great point here. I've had too many guys who wanted to do an old car come up to me and say that they found this (insert odd ball four door with no aftermarket parts) that they are thinking of buying to restore. A lot of the time it is intended as a father-son project. I told a number of them to buy a first Gen Mustang instead and restore it. Simply because they probably have the biggest supply of aftermarket parts and support as far as books and now internet and if they loose interest the car will be far easier to sell. You look at just about any Craigslist or FB market place in the country and there is at lest one orphan car project for sale that is half finished and more money spent on it than it is worth that has been for sale for a long time.

Tman and Roothawg like this.
  15. primed34

primed34

The best way to have a nice car is to start with a nice car. If all you can afford is a rust bucket wait until you can afford something better. I've seen people dive in too quick and then end up with a stalled rust bucket expensive project when reality sets in. Start with the wheels and tires and make the car fit them. Nothing looks worse than yard sale wheels and tire on otherwise what could have been a killer ride.

Thor1, bchrismer, Ziggster and 3 others like this.
  16. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

Disclaimer...I do not own the rights to these images. I bogarted all of them off the net...Said photos were bogarted only for edjumication porpoises.
    [​IMG]

Why projects do not work out?

1. Overestimation of abilities...
    Skill, Tools, Knowledge, Time, Shelter, Enthusiasm, Drive...
    Enthusiasm and drive can make up for a lot if lacking in the others. On the other hand, all the skill, knowledge and resources are for naught if there is no enthusiasm and drive.

2. Underestimation of the task...
    It's a lot of work just to put a good runner up to snuff. Underestimation leads to...
    Poor Planning
    False starts or starting too soon and maybe even starting it at all.
    Working on the wrong thing at the wrong time.
    Being overwhelmed.
    Being stressed
    Feeling like a failure....
    4 Sale
    body in pretty good shape motor and tranny still in it all interior is there just need some with some time could make a rat rod pretty fast or a sweet ride with a little bit time 2500$ might trade
    :oops:
    [​IMG]
    ^^^
    A very simple project. Some Marvels, brake fluid and a battery and it'll be running by Monday. Or hey lets "drop" a V8 into it....easy peasy.:rolleyes:

A car like this is a viable project no doubt. I find such as being the most overpriced in the entire hobby. That vehicle will need everything. I don't really know why, but you find these in this condition or worse for as much or even more than a running and driving car.
    I guess it's the romance.

I'm puking in my mouth a little because I believe the guy's Wife or Mom wrote the add below...:(

Make offer. 1950 Fleetline needs completely restoration. He bought it and just don't have time. In the process of getting the title. Not trying to get rich lol
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    ^^^
    The imagery speaks for itself. There is just so much here many, many lessons.
    New guys...
    Look!
    Think!
    Why has this project been abandoned? What can you learn this mistake.
    Hint...
    It wreaks of impatience.

The truth is, the cars above are hovering right above parts car level. The 50 in it's present condition, is right now, less than a parts car.
    That's a shame because it probably was a decent runner before all the "work" started.
    The bottom line, if you are looking for a first project, look over cars in this condition.
    There's no economy here even if they are in your price range.

3. Drinking the Kool Aid from the soapbox.:rolleyes:
    Real Hot rodder this...real hot rodder that...Got to have this Gotta have that.....all that horseshit.
    [​IMG]
    See anybody can do it.o_O

[​IMG]
    ^^^
    A better start.
    [​IMG]
    a great start
    [​IMG]
    a greater start
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    bingo

Thor1, Lil32 and Roothawg like this.
  17. I list things to do, taped to the hood and check 'em off as I do them....most important is to "do them!"
    When the work got tedious or money was short I looked at the inspiration art on the hood also. 34list.jpg 34_10_12_4.jpg

18. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

Choose a wife / girlfriend who actually likes old cars.

19. 61SuperMonza

61SuperMonza

My girls complaint is we don't take the Monza often enough. That a good woman.

guthriesmith, Lil32 and Roothawg like this.
  20. 61SuperMonza

61SuperMonza

I'm horrible when it comes to pictures. I wish I had more from the Corvair build. In the future I will document my projects with plenty of photos.
    As said there will be times where you stalled out. Work for 8 hrs and feel like you went backwards. It's all part of the process and that is what makes the build worthwhile.
    Every challenge you encounter bonds you with your ride.
    The last thing for new guys is make it function first, then you can have the gingerbread

Roothawg and Asphalt Angel like this.
  21. DPiche

DPiche
    from Ogden UT

Lots of great advice here! I had a old timer tell me that there are 2 sets of tools. One set to take it apart and one to put it back together. I laughed and really didn't understand what he meant as I was about 14-15 years old. But as I progressed in the car hobby I understood what he meant, I've bought more cars n parts because someone could take it apart but couldn't put it back to gather.
    I feel bad for these guys that want to build something but have no direction or in today's case see things built in a 45min clip on TV and call it quits when they realize it actually takes work to build a running driving car let alone a show car.

Thor1, Just Gary and Roothawg like this.
  22. Ziggster

Ziggster

Lots and lots of great advice. Purchased a 79 IH Traveler last April. Impulse buy, and it was supposed to be used to swap the interior to a rust free one, but deal fell through. Started to tear it down, then stalled. I got started back up on my speedster project as it had previously stalled. Two projects for me is too much. Will attack IH when weather is warmer as it needs a complete body overhaul. Will work on speedster until then as much as I can, but I’ve come to the reality that both projects will take years. I think that is the biggest lesson for me - I tend to really under estimate the total time required. Local guy said same. Took him 5 years to restore his S10 pickup.

PS. I did purchase 20 of those Home Depot black/yellow boxes in which I put all my IH parts, but still haven’t labeled them. Lol!

23. fabricator john

fabricator john
    from venice fl.

PICK ONE CAR
    nothing is "ready for paint"
    will be worth 60% unless you do it all your self
    nothing needs nothing
    never add it up
    hide your recipts (if married)
    dont listen to trends
    pick a planned look and stay there
    never ever buy a trick of the week part
    get help when you pass your skill set
    dont get in a hurry
    make parts decisions as if your budget was $15 a week
    sell everything you dont use
    and lastly my personal NEVER EVER pre-register for a car show before you are done YOU WILL NOT MAKE IT ,, this is a unfinished car curse
    fabricator john
    miss you dad

Thor1, Lil32, X-cpe and 2 others like this.
  24. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

For those of us on a tight budget I find having a list of several smaller projects to work on at any time helps keep progress moving forward, ie when the budget says stop spending major $$ for a bit there are smaller things that still
    need to be done, and I have the parts/supplies to do. It also helps when you get burned out on something like bodywork and need a break from it for a while.

cktasto, Thor1 and Roothawg like this.
  25. Roothawg

Roothawg

Also, spend a little on tooling. My dad always told me borrow it if you need it. If you have to borrow it twice, you need to own it.

26. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

Or rent it, same idea

27. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

Excellent Post Roothawg And The Last Item Will Open Doors Or Close Them...Appreciated.. 116155177_4666378836721179_3914865371472496290_n.jpg

Thor1 likes this.
  28. Formulate your questions carefully.

If you ask a vague question, "What color should I paint it?" to 10,000 strangers on the HAMB, you'll get 11,000 different opinions, many of which are useless due to your budget, skills, tools, taste, etc.:confused:

But if you ask a focused question, "What color would a 20-year old kid on a limited budget paint his Model A roadster in 1955?" you'll get a MUCH more useful answer.:cool:

wfo guy, Thor1 and AHotRod like this.
  29. When I built a Car for myself I always made sure the Car was Running & could Drive
    it even if it was for a Little Bit..!
    So you would Not get discusted with it.!

Just my 3.5 cents

Live Learn & Die a Fool

Boneyard51 and Thor1 like this.
  30. I know the big whiteboard was already mentioned, but my variation on that is a Google Sheets spreadsheet. Most of the projects I have done have been done either at my brother-in-law's shop that was 25 miles south of the house or up and Meeker's shop that was 35 miles north of the shop. The cool thing about using the Google Sheets is that I could sit at my computer and make the sheet, look up parts, etc, and I could access it from my smart phone while working in the shop that was 25-35 miles from home.

The spreadsheet starts out thinking through the project and is broken up into sections like
    • front end - broken down by all the parts needed, whether currently owned or need to buy, including budget numbers
    • rear end - same
    • brakes - gets their own category to make sure I don't miss anything
    • engine/transmission - same stuff
    • interior - same stuff
    • exterior - same stuff
    • wiring
    • miscellaneous - for those things I overlooked to be inserted where they go in the project
    That's just the first tab.

As I plan the "work day", set up the second tab with the projects for the day, and mark them complete. This often included stuff like the number and sizes of nuts, bolts, washers, etc that I needed to stop by the hardware store to buy. It also helped me to log into my O'Reilly FirstCall account and order all my parts so I could swing by and pick them up on the way out to work on the project.

Then there's the oddball planning tabs, like engine/transmission/rear end gear ratios to figure out what will be good combinations. This was important when I was trying to put a Chevy 4 speed behind a stock '40 flathead, and trying to decide whether I could pull off a 3.0 rear gear. I was able to figure out RPM ranges between shift points, and the step down in RPMs as I shifted up a gear.

Note: Usually about 75ish% through the project, I usually forget to log purchases into the budget. I think that this is a subconscious way of helping me not stress over how much I have gone over budget, or counting up the stuff I bought that I "thought" would work and wound up not using. When I was doing the 4 speed conversion in the coupe, that included a Wilcap pressure plate and some Pete & Jakes pedals, which added nearly $500 to the project in stuff to sit on the shelf.