Register now to get rid of these ads!

Advice aligning rear in 50 Chevy pickup

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Big Red Rat, Nov 15, 2008.

1. Big Red Rat

Big Red Rat
    from Hartly, DE

Rear in my 50 Chevy sits 2 1/2 inches forward from center in wheel opening. Someone said maybe flip the springs around to center the axle. Anyone ever done that. I know I'll need a longer driveshaft, connecting to 283/auto.

2. KevinM

KevinM

They are correct. The original rear pivoted behind the spring center bolt to compensate for the torq-tube. Just flip the springs front to back. Yes, you will need to adjust the prop. shaft. Have fun!

3. squirrel

squirrel

Also take a long look at the shape of the wheel opening. The bottom of the opening is further back than the top of the opening...hard to explain....

[​IMG]

but notice on this stock truck, that at the top of the wheel opening, the tire does look centered, but at the bottom, it looks like the tire is too far forward. That's how it was designed to be.

If you move the axle back too far, then the tire might be centered relative to the bottom of the wheel well, but it won't match at the top....see what I mean?

[​IMG]

4. Kustomz

Kustomz

If you flip the springs you will have to swap your bushings also since they are different. I haven't tried flipping the springs. I just re-drilled the hole on the spring perch to set the axle back.