Register now to get rid of these ads!

Adventures to and from HAMB Drags

Discussion in 'H.A.M.B. Drag Nationals' started by daschaefer, Aug 21, 2012.

1. daschaefer

daschaefer

Just curious to see how many others had an adventure heading to/from the drags.

Mine was pretty much uneventful and the Organgrinder will have some pictures to prove it

Thursday

2 PM Departed from Hot Springs Ar,
    Wanted fresh air so I pulled out the windshield and put on goggles, then wrapped a towel on my head to minimize wind-burn (Im an idiot!!!)
    3-6 PM Eng was HOT... stopped every 30 minutes to try diffrent methods of forcing more air through the 41 year old radiator (Reggies photos will prove that Im an idiot). Finally realized the new head gaskets didnt have extra holes for the old style heads.
    6-10 PM Re-installed windshield and drove painfully slow due to terenchal down pours (eng was finally cool) and suddenly hydroplaned at 45 MPH where God was kind enough to send me gently through a grassy field then backwards onto a flat concrete drainage platform.
    10:01 cleaned out my britches
    10-12 PM enjoyed the last two hours of driving my Hot Rod with a pair of radials I borrowed from Reggie

Attached Files:

2. BLAKE

BLAKE

Awesome... then what...?

3. Really! What did you do to keep from being bored? :cool:

4. madmak95

madmak95

This was my 7th trip to the drags. Its a 10 hour drive. We've alway in a new model truck pulling the race car on a trailer. This year we meet of with DannyG in Paris Tx and I jump in with him in his '55 Chevy(dark green one). I was only going to ride to the next gas stop, but cutting threw Oklahoma at 80mph with the windows down was just to much fun. Ended up riding all the way to Joplin. Best trip I've ever had.... Very big thanks to DannyG .

5. squirrel

squirrel

heh....I did that for 4 days.

6. squirrel

squirrel

7. daschaefer

daschaefer

Mad Mak95,,, I know what you mean, that weather felt so nice I pulled out my windshield.

Squirrel, I watched your video, are you sure that is a chevy, rides like a Cadillac,,,VERY NICE..................
    My video is not so comfortable to watch, rode like this for 150 miles of pure joy, then I re-installed the windshield for the rain storm!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YB6pS7sIYks&feature=youtu.be

8. Model A John

Model A John
    from wichita ks

Squirrel, that's pretty cool, driving cross-country in a '55 Chevy and then racing the car!

9. squirrel

squirrel

....we should make a movie! :)

10. Made the trip a few times myself. A major component of the HAMB drags for me has always been the drive.

[​IMG]

11. bigken

bigken

Hey man, you were missed this year......
    :(

12. hungover.................

13. Short of funds, long on work to get done

Already making plans for next year, thinking about the video thing as Jim suggested. Maybe us AZ guys could do a convoy of sort and collaborate the video footage.

14. squirrel

squirrel

heh...I started watching two lane blacktop right after I posted that

15. daschaefer

daschaefer

Attached Files:

16. squirrel

squirrel

17. daschaefer

daschaefer

I was still a little shaken from the near death slip and slide ride,,,, guess Im getting scared in my old age...

Thanks for the fix!

BTW,,, Jeff how did the Flamed-A-Bone's open-intake-surgery heal up... We were all hoping your return home went well.

18. ORGANGRINDER

ORGANGRINDER

he got home and it quit as he rolled into the driveway!!

19. squirrel

squirrel

20. infoleather

infoleather
    from New York

Think about the video thing, Jim recommendations. Perhaps our AZ everybody can do sort of a convoy and cooperation of video clips.

21. mike33

mike33

if its ok with you i would like to take a few ,enlarge them and frame them for my shop

22. RacerRick

RacerRick

I only drove 21 hours there (non stop) on thursday/friday and 18 hours back on sunday. I left early sunday because I had to work at 7am monday!

I got the big black bitch running on monday. Figured it could use a little test drive to make sure everything was ok.

Had a few small problems - the vacumn line to the trans went splitsville, and I had to replace it in the hotel parking lot. Also had to rethink my PCV setup as the front oil fill on the SBC in my car was spewing oil all over the place. A little re-engineering in the parking lot and at the drags took care of that. It still drank a quart of oil every 500 miles. The engine came in the car when I bought it and is very tired. It has zero oil pressure at idle, and maybe 25-30lbs running down the highway when hot. But it never knocked, smoked, or complained. I think the worst think was the speedo cable decided to quit around Branson MO.

I did find a few issues I need to take care of right away, and few more that I will take care of over the winter. I already replaced the torsion bars since one completely lost tension on the way down - it was one step away from breaking. Speedo cable and one tire rubbing on left turns needs to be fixed right away. The tired engine/trans, and finishing the interior so I can hear the stereo can be taken care of over the winter. I already have a fresh built 383 mopar for it - just waiting for the tranny. Then I will see you all at joplin again next year - a little faster, and a lot better looking.

23. daschaefer

daschaefer