Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Adjusting door gap

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fourspeedwagon, Dec 4, 2017.

1. This is off topic and a shitty lighting in the pic.
    Around this corner is welded 24" of 1/8 rod plus another 18" of 1/8 rod stacked on top of the 24" to get material in this gap. The rod was ground down to create a smooth edge and fill the huge gap. Zero to 1/4" and back 1/4" to zero. Factory doors on a never messed with shell and in original pairing from the factory as far as I can tell.
    image.jpeg

2. 37 caddy

37 caddy
    from PEI Canada

Had a buddy that worked in a Factory that made hearses,he said they used to weld welding rods to the edges of the doors to get good gaps on the hearses when they did the stretch,this was back in the 70's sometimes they were a 1/4 inch longer on one side then the other,easier to make the door fit then to cut it apart and reweld.

31Vicky with a hemi likes this.
  3. junkman8888

junkman8888

You've been getting some great advice so far, here's mine:
    First, get the pickup on a hard flat surface and put it up on jack stands to eliminate any chance of frame twist.
    Second, if the hinges are sloppy you'll never get the doors properly aligned. Rebuild or replace the hinges as needed.
    Third, while you've got the doors off measure the cab for "diamond", then measure and compare the door openings. I'm sure you'll find the door openings don't match.
    Fourth, measure the doors. I'm sure you'll find the doors don't match either.
    Fifth, before you try to align the doors, remove the striker plate from the B pillar, that way the latch won't affect basic door alignment.
    Sixth, align the body line first, every thing else is secondary.
    If you're building one of these trucks and you have to make repairs to the A pillar or cowl sheetmetal, fix the hinges, hang the doors then align the back of the doors first. After that is done move the cowl panels around to give you the proper door gap before you weld them on. Best of luck on your project