Register now to get rid of these ads!

Adjust merc/Linc 1949 door forward to the frontfender

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tom.Sweden, Jul 3, 2013.

1. Tom.Sweden

Tom.Sweden
    from Sweden

Cant find anything or see when I'm looking at the door hinges that its possible to adjust the door forward to the front fiender, Its a 2door. belive that more people here have some tricks I dont have so lets hear them! //Thanks Tom

2. Tom.Sweden

Tom.Sweden
    from Sweden

Hi again, thanks for the link, I belive you had problem with old hinges, cant remember mine was bad but the whole door, from top to bottom is too close to the quaterpanel and b-pillar, Ill have to take another look at it again, thanks

3. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

some of these mercs fit damn tight..my 51 barely has 1/8" at the "B" pillar area. the gap up front is perfect. Check and see if your hinges are flat or have a slight bend in them right by the pivot point. If they do, you can pull them off and flatten them out which should give you a little more wiggle room. If not, look around the hinge mounting areas for tweaks. Sometimes when the door is off and the hinge bolted to it, you can give those sides a smack and it will compress a little straightening out some fatigued metal..

Another thought without pics, is if you door gap is nice above the belt line area and tight at the 1/4, you can loosen your 1/4 panel bolts and adjust it and move it back, unless its been welded up already, before the alignment had been done..

4. sar34

sar34
    from Oregon

Hello Tom, I have an old tool catalogue that has a tool for bending the hinges. It has aslot to slip on the hinge with arm that looks to be 3 feet long, approx 1 meter. One left hand and one right hand, they work with the doors on the car. You can make your own, but will need to be strong. Good Luck Chuck