Register now to get rid of these ads!

Adjust flathead points (lincoln?)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fltnlow, Sep 4, 2011.

1. fltnlow

fltnlow
    from Burbank

I started having some issues w/ the 36 (ford tudor) which has a stock v8 and I suspected points.

Upon pulling the caps and coil off, I referenced the shop manual I have which looks to show that the car has a lincoln distributor for some reason.

The question is, do I have to pull the distributor to adjust/check the points? I do not see other options, but I have zero experience w/ flathead ignitions.

Attached Files:

2. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA
    Member Emeritus

Actually looks like a stock 36 Ford unit to me...
    The unit needs to be set up on a machine and the condensor coil etc needs checking as well. Once set up they run pretty well.
    We do each week, $48 to set up plus parts needed inside ......
    Glad to help.......

I guess you could remove the distributor and take unit aprt and install new points and adjust on bench , however not a easy job for sure......

I also have exchange distributor built and ready to run minus coil and condensor for $100

3. fltnlow

fltnlow
    from Burbank

Thanks for the reply!

I have little knowledge about these engines and really only have a shop manual for reference which says this is a lincoln unit, so it being a stock 36 ford dizzy seems reasonable if that's what it looks like to people in the know.

I will figure out a plan of attack in a short while.