Register now to get rid of these ads!

Adding electric fan need advice.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by drock6570, May 4, 2007.

1. drock6570

drock6570

i bought a lincoln 18" electric fan for my 64 390. I powered it up and on low it gave me chills, on high it almost knocked me down. This thing really blows/sucks? Thats where I need the help! Whats the best way to set it up? What about thermostat wiring/available kits? My intentions are to mount it on the backside of the radiator afer removeing the betlt driven fan. I know Im going to have to trim the shroud about 1/2" so It will clear the front side of the water pulley. Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks

2. spare parts

spare parts

Check out www.fordmuscle.com, look in the archives for an article called Mark V111 fan for your vintake Ford.The article is about using 1993/98 Lincoln Mark V111 Fans and an aftermarket Spal controller.This is becoming a popular swap .

3. atomickustom

atomickustom

If you wanna use the fan you already have, just make sure trimming the shroud won't put the fan blades into contact with the radiator core. That would suck. Putting the fan behind as a puller is the most efficient, but plenty of guys I know mount their electric fan in front of the radiator as a blower and it's seems to work fine. Personally I'd go with whichever requires the least amount of hacking. (That's assuming you don't have the kind of fan that's mounted into a big square shroud. If so, you really must mount it behind the radiator or you'll restrict the hell out of your airflow!)

4. CptKaos

CptKaos

You can wire it yourself or buy a kit. All you need is a grounding sender that will close at about 200, a relay and some wire. Austin Performance has all the stuff you will need.

Larry

5. drock6570

drock6570

i never thought of that! i do have a squre shroud and I was going to mount it in front because of the clearance issues. Now Im definitely going to have to put a bit more thought into it. do you think it would work if i added cut outs to shroud to increase airflow around the unit? I bought a hayden thermostatic kit that everyone was recommending. After readin install info, I can figure out how to wire it so that it utilizes both the high and low speed. never heard of austin performance?? think they would have the answers. Thanks guys