Register now to get rid of these ads!

Adapting A Magneto to a small engine

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by LarzBahrs, Oct 10, 2009.

1. LarzBahrs

LarzBahrs
    from Sacramento

I found an old magneto on this industiral single cylinder and i was thinking about adapting it to fit on a kohler engine i have becuase the kohler is an off board mag. The industrial engine mag runs of the fly wheel. What types of things would need to be addressed and looked over to set the timing right on it? Fly wheel size? Im sorry for such a novice question. Im just really a tinkerer at this point in time. Thanks for any help in advance!:D

2. llonning

llonning

If you are saying what I think you are;

Does the Kohler have an automotive type coil on it?

What did the magneto come off of?

This is just to start with.

3. LarzBahrs

LarzBahrs
    from Sacramento

Ill post some pictures in a sec, sorry for the off the wall descriptions. Im not good at some terminology.

4. LarzBahrs

LarzBahrs
    from Sacramento

Here the kohler engine
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG] Heres the magneto, kinda rusty on the gear but the inards are clean!

Heres the engine the mag came off of.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. LarzBahrs

LarzBahrs
    from Sacramento

just posted pictures any advice?

6. llonning

llonning

This would take a lot of machine work. The magnetos used for the Kohler were usually mounted by the flywheel. The industrial engine looks to be an even earlier Kohler. I have seen those mounted on pumper trucks like for the fire departments.

This conversion is something that I wouldn't want to try myself. Too much adapting involved, IF it could even be done.

The first thing you would have to determine is the timing for the spark, after you figured out how to mount the mag.

I work on small engines for a living and I would tell someone that wanted me to do the same thing that I wouldn't even try. Too much of a headache to try to convert it.

7. llonning

llonning

If you can get me the Model and Spec codes I can see if anything is avaliable through Kohler.

Model K161 or similar
    Spec 12324k or similar

Especially with Kohler you need these numbers. When you get in the book the model number gets you so far. Then the spec number gives you a look up code for the part numbers.

8. scooterseats

scooterseats
    from East Texas

The yellow engine is not a Kohler but a Cushman Husky M9 engine from a Cushman Truckster. The magneto is underneath the flywheel and is a Wico with a set of charging coils. Parts are readily available for this magneto and when properly functioning operate very well. I can see no reason to attempt to alter this to an external magneto ignition system.

9. llonning

llonning

scooterseats, looking at again, closer, it is similar to Kohler's I have worked on. But it is not as you say. Never seen a Cushman engine personally.