Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical adapter question?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dudley32, Sep 22, 2016.

1. dudley32

dudley32

Is it necessary to split the wishbone in a '35-'40 Ford when using a sbc and adapter to an early Ford transmission. It seems I remember someone lowering the ball mount slightly which would only affect caster minimally...thanks

2. 42merc

42merc

No need for splitting when using a stock 3 speed or another manual trans.
    Splitting required when using an automatic.
    I believe lowering the ball in '42-'48 Fords allows some automatic trans pans to clear the wishbone.

3. X2

i have done several `40 fords with a SBC and `39 box and there is no need to split the bones or even lower them

4. On the '39/'40Fords when splitting the wishbone or not splitting becomes an issue is when you use a de-arched spring or a spring with a reversed eye. Then an un-split bone has a tendency to tag the chassis when going over a bump. Lots of them have been run that way but it is not optimal. The SBC should go right in without splitting the bone.

5. dudley32

dudley32

thanks guys...I'm planning on reversing the eye so I'll just wait and see what happens...