Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Adam's Model A Tudor AV8 Build Thread!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Adam M., Jan 28, 2011.

1. Throttlehead250

Throttlehead250
    from Houston TX

awesome!! im a sucker for a build thread with a ton of pics!

2. captmullette

captmullette

good trade on that equip, i started with about the same deal, afull roller and ended up only using the body.....oh well.... good luck, ill be watching BT

Attached Files:

3. BZNSRAT

BZNSRAT

Jealous again!...Gotta find a Model A....nice work!

4. rat seeker

rat seeker

Keep up the good work.

5. Fun ain't it! Wait'll ya get 'er on the road and start fryin' the tires!

6. Thanks for all the nice words! I'm trying to put together a good story with a great ending!

Toner, thanks for the link. I have read that before...It just would have been nice if my drive shaft was not part of the pinion! There is no coupler sleeve, so I have no spline to put the yoke on.

I will either swap out the gear set, so maybe machine this pinion to work.

Thanks again!

7. Well I'm always looking for old Ford stuff, and I came across this '39 Ford:

[​IMG]

Well I didn't buy the whole car, but I did pick up the axles, hubs, drums, wheels, pedels, steering box, column, banjo wheel, etc etc

[​IMG]

We picked up the Harley wheel for my friends bike on the same trip. I don't know if I'll use any of this stuff on this car, but I have a hard time passing up a good deal!

For the rest of the story on the '39 Deluxe, look here:
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=555449

8. Well I did it again. I was looking in the classifieds and I came across this stuff. The guy is building a 1946 Ford coupe into a hot rod and didn't need this stuff. When I called, he had already tossed the engine and trans. We made a deal over the phone for the rest of the mechanicals and the wheels. Well buy the time I got there, his daughter sold the wheels. Well it was still a good deal for me anyway.

Here is the Texas car before he started on it:

[​IMG]

I took the Van because its alittle easier on gas:

[​IMG]

Doesn't everyone use a minivan like that!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Well today was cold but sunny, so I figured I'd see what I bought:

[​IMG]

Looks like it wasn't driven much since the last brake job!

[​IMG]

It sure was nice to be out in the sun working on the car today

[​IMG]

So now I'm going to dismantle the diff and see how it looks. If it checks out ok, I plan to swap on the axles and bells from the '41 Merc axle to make it alittle narrower. The '46 Ford axle is 61" and the '41 Merc is 59-1/2" I'll rebuild it and go over it. Looks like I'm going to run all the '46 brakes.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2011
  9. hasty

hasty

Great project. Look forward to the updates

10. LIL.TIMMYUser Name

LIL.TIMMYUser Name

awesome score! rear drums look nice as well.

11. nice start, I am going to follow along

12. Kingsway

Kingsway

Adam whats happening? Any new developments? Its been like a month!:)

13. Well honestly the only building lately has been in my head and not in the garage! I haven't done very much, but I did pick up a few key parts.

I picked up this completely rebuilt and restored chassis. Its been sitting for a few years, so it needs the white walls cleaned and the dust cleaned off it.

[​IMG]

The coupe body that was on it, will be going on an aftermarket chassis, so he didn't need this.

So maybe I should just restore my tudor to original??? Naw not this one! This chassis is going to be a second car on the go now....So I'm looking for another body!

Last edited: Mar 29, 2011
  14. So here is the frame that I'm going to use for the build. Its from Montana and it nice condition, but was not used in a restoration because the center crossmember was cut. It will work for me!

[​IMG]

Here is my Posies spring and a 4" dropped axle from Joe's Speed Shop in OK.

[​IMG]

No excuses now. I'll start actually getting something done now. I have most of the parts I need now so it should (hopefully) start to take shape soon.

15. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I just found the thread and it looks like you are really starting to get things to go together.
    I'll have to subscribe to this one.

16. lowtruck

lowtruck
    from Omaha

Good to see this one coming along. Subscribed.

17. BEAR

BEAR

cool come up

18. Here are some pictures from this weekend. I was able to work on the car alittle bit.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Did some trimming on the crossmember

[​IMG]

19. I was test fitting the motor and trans. I want to set them in the right position so I can start on the motor mounts and then plan the crossmembers and pedels.

[​IMG]

I'm thinking right now that I want to bring the engine up alittle, and I know the trans needs to come up, but at least it looks like something

20. Just before I stopped for dinner, my friends stopped in and we sat the body on to have a look. The body it sitting back on the frame because it still requires firewall surgery

[​IMG]

It has that "gasser" stance because I lowered the rear, so when we lifted the body on it would clear the garage door opener! I should have raised it back up before the pictures

[​IMG]

I was trying to figure out the best height for the engine. The fan being at the bottom of the rad concerns me, so I was thinking about the Zips water pump riser, then I could leave the engine lower in the Chassis.

[​IMG]

What do you think about the Zips adapter? I did a search and saw some good results. Where is the best place to get one?

That's it for today. It's better then nothin'!

Last edited: Apr 10, 2011
  21. Tin Can

Tin Can

Build looks good. How about flipping the firewall instead of doin some surgery to it?

22. Hey Tin Can,

I haven't figured exactly what the plan is yet, but I plan to run the original tank in the cowl.

I'll have a better idea in the couple days.

23. TwoLaneBlacktop

TwoLaneBlacktop
    from Burien

That was the best use of a "Soccer Mom" van ever !!! Model A parts hauler ..........
    Great project !!!!

24. hotdamn

hotdamn

25. Kingsway

Kingsway

x2
    What's happening?

26. I have the updates that no one wants to hear, but most can understand!

I've been working lots of overtime, work on the side, and everything I own has been keeping me busy with repairs!

I took the Galaxie out of storage and I have it all ready for summer cruising, does that count?

Very little on the Model A. I'm leaving for Ford Carlise in the morning. I'm picking up my tires from Coker 5.50 and 7.50 Firestone Deluxe Champions. Maybe I'll score some other goodies too.

27. 29ToyA

29ToyA

Cool project

28. heywacha

heywacha
    from Orange, CA

Cool... Im folowing this one...
    I love these cars!

29. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Boy howdy can I ever relate to the "everything I own needed repairs" thing. Today I have to pull the transaxle out of what is supposed to be my gas saving work car to figure out what is wrong with it and how to fix the problem instead of figuring out how to get the crossmember welded in the 48's new frame.

30. Big news on the car.

I'm going with my original plan of an AV8 with a flathead V8! I went way off track, but corrected it early!

I have the 283 and the 32 SBC walker rad forsale if anyone it interested.

I have my tires mounted on the wheels but I have not taken a picture yet.

The up comming few weeks I promise alot of work is going to be done on the car.

So I went to look at some stuff a guy had forsale, and he says he has a Tudor Model A out back:

[​IMG]

I opened the door and saw this:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I didn't buy the car, I did buy the Guide BLC-682 Headlights off it!

Last edited: Jul 24, 2011