The Jalopy Journal
Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Adam M., Oct 16, 2011.
Its been awhile on the updates, but I have found some great parts. I picked up a complete '46 Ford flathead and mechanicals from another street rodder (another car fallen to a 350 and MII). I also scored a complete top, and new seat springs (seat back and rumble seat). I am looking for the lower springs for the front seat.
This weekend I picked up the Galaxie and the stock chassis from my friends barn. Spring time sure is great! First task was to sit the roadster body on, install the 30/31 rad (I had a 28/29 on it) and sit the hood on for good measure.
Oh and of course swaped out the 19's. I don't know what colour I want anything yet, and I didn't paint the wheels, I bought them like that.
Now don't get too excited, it looks farther along than it is. I'm still pretty stoked though....
i have offically decided that i dont have enough cool stuff sitting around.
It just kinda happends....its out there!
Thanks Norton! Its got along ways to go...
Any progress Adam?
What he ^^ said
There has been lots of progress this summer, but not on the car. That's the bad news. The reason for it is I finished all the reno's on my house, sold it and bought another house. So I moved and all my stuff is all over the place and completely disorganized.
The good news is now I have a dedicated shop for my projects! Once I get everything set up, I can work with heat in the winter and I don't have to shut everything down in the winter months and there is alot more room to work.
The car is on my mind all the time, and I'm itching for some updates as well. Thanks for watching!
Where has this thread been for the last year? That is a killer stash of cars and parts you have there.
I'm still working on the house and the shop getting things set up. The shop is geting better and I snapped this fuzzy pic on my cell phone and thought that I would post the progress!
One of these days I might actually build something! Its neat that the Galaxie looks like such a huge car, the roadster seems small, but park them side by side and its different. The top of the steering wheel is the same height at the roof on the wagon!
After many years away from it, I'm back at it, and making some progress. After going to TROG this past summer, I'm done with the delays.
This is me at the race beside one of my favourite cars.
This is me beside my own car when I got home. I rolled it out of the storage trailer and leaned a couple tires against it that were near by.
AV8 Starter kit!
Veddy Nice! Liking what I am seeing going on here.
More mock up and measuring. I'm happy with the way it is looking, so it's time to start making things work together
That's perfect- run it just like that ; it screams Hot Rod !!
What did you use to cut the rear shackle mounts off the axle tubes??? You did a really nice job that's why I ask. I am doing the same thing and was going to use a sawsall but I don't think I can make as neat a cut as you.
The ends were actually scrap left over from when someone made axle stands out of the bells. They were torch cut when I found them. When they were in that state, I thought maybe a bandsaw, or milling them out but I actually cut the big section out with a zip cut. Then I made a bunch of small pie cuts to remove the rest of the bulk, then finished them on the end of a belt sander. They will be welded on during final assembly.
Mike I'd love to drive it like this, but it's held together with vicegrips and twine!
That's still better than Rustoleum and tomato sauce !! ( family secret recipe)
All joking aside, looking good- have fun!!
What's a zip cut??? Same as a sawsall??? And thanks for the response.
It's just one of the many names for a thin cutting blade on a 4-1/2 hand held angle grinder. Also known as "Death Wheel"!!!
Well yeah, you got to take off the guard if you actually want to fab anything. That's when you start to stare into the eyes of evil. I've had the accidental kick back eat through the thick leather gloves loads of times. Been fortunate enough to only get a little cut a few times but have smashed up a finger or two pretty bad as well. Funny cause I keep getting more cautious. It seems like an incident might keep happening at least once a year, not very consoling.
Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app
Blown apart again!
With the F1 crossmember clamped in place, I determined the new home for the pedal assembly. They had to move over and up a bit so the clutch pedal and linkage will clear the frame.
Now with the pedals mounted in the right spot, I could fit the master cylinder.
It wasn't touching the stock model A crossmember, but it was too close to service it when the F1 crossmember is permanent.
Some clearance was in order. I marked and cut it for a piece of 4"X1/8"wall pipe.
The torque tube needed some space too so the same 4" pipe was used.
I just tacked the centre one until the car is mocked up again to make sure there is enough room.
Separate names with a comma.