Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Active HAMB Members.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 26 T Ford RPU, May 10, 2024.

1. I have read in many posts over the years about how big the HAMB audience is when seeking assistance. But i check regularly on the birthdays today section and ''most'' Members that have no Avatar Picture have only lasted one day or a few after that, some a year at the most. These on average make up around 60% of Birthdays each day as that would mean the HAMB is about 30% in true size from the Member list. Just an observation... nothing more. ;):) JW

Last edited: May 12, 2024
  2. wheelkid

wheelkid
    Alliance Vendor
    from Fresno, CA

30% would be really, really good especially for a forum as old as the HAMB, if that's anywhere close to what it actually is. I would venture to guess the ratio of active users to total usernames is far better on here than on other "social media" websites.

SuperKONR, Deuces, Jimmy B and 3 others like this.
  3. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yeah, but the few of us that are left, are the best resource there is.:)

4. :D:D:D
    Ben

RDR, Deuces, 49ratfink and 3 others like this.
  5. Birthdays today ?

never knew you could look that up .

29A-V8, slayer, Deuces and 6 others like this.
  6. I visit frequently and have for 17 years!:cool:..I was a lot younger when I first signed on.:(..I'm sure there are thousands who have stopped by and never returned and some who pop on now and again. Do robots have birthdays?:eek:

7. I check in every few years… :rolleyes:

winduptoy, 29A-V8, scotty t and 19 others like this.
  8. You got that right.:cool::cool::cool: JW

9. Its on the home page just below the list of most likes in the last seven days on the right hand side. JW

Last edited: May 10, 2024
  10. mrspeedyt

mrspeedyt

Never knew that...

Deuces likes this.
  11. Mr48chev

Mr48chev

You can check a person's profile page and see when they were last on the HAMB.
    Wear a HAMB T shirt to any major swap meet and you will run into a number of folks who say they are on the board and check the classifieds every day but never participate or even check the board.
    There was one guy who joined because I had made the true statement that his Ebay store was an outlet for Hoffman group junk. He had the exact listings that every other Hoffman group back door peddler had/has. He only joined to send me a pm ragging on me for making the comment and claim that his listings weren't their stuff.
    A good number join to ask one question about their off topic car and when they get told that we don't discuss that year model here they are gone. Google any Small block chevy question you want and usually one of the top three choices leads to a HAMB thread. I've even found my old answers searching for the correct info to give someone asking the same question on the same thing before. I've found that it is far better to research things that one is positive that he knows to make sure what he remembers is correct rather than just post from memory.

Then there are the guys who join because they just bought a "classic old car" and find out that their 25 year old "classic" doesn't even qualify as a legit Hamb Friendly parts donor and go off to a board like hotrodders.com that has a corner for everyone to play in. Screenshot (162).png

12. In my way of thinking, I consider this site similar in ways to a car club.
    We have similar interest, we comment on others cars, we advise/help, there's "bench racing", we "show off" our cars, etc.
    Like car clubs, there typically are a small fraction of the clubs roster
    that actually contribute/attend each meeting or event, and members come and go.
    It's okay....just reality.

13. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I would be totally lost without the chat and gold mine of information the members are only too willing to share. I have made some solid friends on here . We have visited and stayed often with some who are great buddies now in the USA. Going on a road trip with a HAMB couple from TX to BTTF MN in June in their hot rod.

Last edited: May 11, 2024
  14. Rand Man

Rand Man

I still check the HAMB everyday. I don’t always comment. I think there are some good guys around here.

15. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have checked in every day for 22+ years, with only a few days messed due to hospitalization. I even went back and checked the ones I missed.
    Damn, quitting smoking was a breeze, compared to missing a good HAMB post!

16. spudshaft

spudshaft

2003 here. I don’t post a lot, and went away for a few years, but I read the board almost every day. Always learn something.

17. ClarkH

ClarkH
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Birthdays? I avoid giving the world my personal information. It's too useful to hackers. In the rare event where a site requires the birthday field be filled, I give a fake one. Then I get a kick out of auto-generated emails wishing me happy birthday on April 1.

18. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

Hello, I'm new here . What's this site about? I googled old fishing lures it led me here.. :p:p

19. MMMMM joined in 09, new??? o_O JW

20. I'll let Ryan worry about metrics. They're are still plenty of good threads and knowledgable people around. My hotrodder dad died in 2006 and left me his 38 Chevy. The HAMB became my surrogate dad when it came to asking for advice on how to fix it, and also motivated me to do my own build about 10 years ago. I've made lifelong friends here.

21. ^^ I totally agree about the HAMB and in no way am i putting the HAMB down, it.s just an observation. JW

22. catdad49

catdad49

Pretty much part of my every day routine. I don't know much, but I'm still willing to learn. Have a Great Day, hoodlums!!

23. Michael Ottavi

Michael Ottavi

My day would not start without a cup of coffee and a visit to the HAMB. The rest of the day is usually a pain in the ass.

24. I visit most days, make a comment if I think it will help, chuckle a lot of times. I had some concerns about the suspension on a project that I bought confirmed by several guys that should know and are willing to share. I like to post pictures of events in our area, as I appreciate the coverage of shows I will never get to. I live a long way from Southern California. Farmers spend their life sorting the wheat from the chaff, you have to do some of that here as well. Shipping pretty much kills anything I could do in the classifieds, but it is nice to look. I have the opportunity a couple of times a week to gather with local hotrodders to bench race, here it is every day.

25. Also, I used to check the birthdays somewhat regularly. But, to the point in the first post, most of the birthdays each day were users I had never heard of. So, I got out of that habit fairly quickly.

winduptoy, Deuces, Sancho and 4 others like this.
  26. I may look at them once a week to once in two months but i find the results much the same each time. JW

27. You have the option of not having your birthday public. Mine is not on the list.

Deuces and 26 T Ford RPU like this.
  28. fuzzface

fuzzface

I was a lurker for years but when Breeder had a problem and someone ran an auction for a new Snapon ratchet to help him out I joined then so I could win it and help Todd out. I really liked him and mine just fell apart so it was perfect timing. that was a little more than 17 years ago. I might not check in everyday but I tend to do a quick search of the front page and maybe the second page just to see what is going on or who is bellyaching about what.

Even though I have been here 17-18 years as a member I don't have an avatar up. I don't believe in posting pictures on the internet unless it is on an auction site or an ad and rarely do. usually if I post a picture of something I owned, I usually pull it in a day or two when I realized that I did that. I don't need the attention like other people want.

I blame my dad on this as we were growing up my dad was camera happy and always had to have someone in the pictures and i got voted in most times and hated it. when cameras come out, I leave. I like being a private guy.

even when i see other people post pictures of my cars or stuff i own online, I rarely admit it is owned by me unless i am called out on it.

29. kustomfordman

kustomfordman

18 years on the HAMB. The older I get the more spotty my participation becomes and I hate this, but life does get you sidetracked at times. The HAMB is always welcoming when I return and I am always relieved to find it when I need it.

30. I check BDs twice a year. Mine and my sons.

Deuces and 26 T Ford RPU like this.