Register now to get rid of these ads!

Acrylic urethane, catylized enamel, good, bad, compare?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Nads, Sep 28, 2003.

1. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

I've seen these ads on ebay for paints being sold at very reasonable prices. WAAAAY lower than the paint shop down the road. The catylized enamel paints are very reasonable, like $35 a gallon. A guy sells a complete urethane kit for $160, paint, clear, primer, masking tape, spray sock, sticks, everything.
    Also all of these sellers seem to have excellent feedback ratings, so I'm not scared of them.
    What I wanna know is how good is catylized acrylic enamel? I've only used it for spot repairs on my Consul Capri, it held up very well. The car's light green.
    My '54 Chevy was painted years ago in straight enamel, it was dark maroon. The paint started fading and breaking down within two years. My cars sit ouside in the blazing Florida sun, followed by early afternoon monsoon drenchings.
    What would you fellas recommend? I don't plan on redoing this car again for a long time.
    I will have garaged storage for my beasts in a couple of months, fingers crossed.

2. Fastsporty

Fastsporty

I feel bad for ya nads. Six hours later on page three with no response, boy even newbies get better response then that. Maybe next time you might want to tell people you want to paint your "gas" pedal. Or this is probably more the case, the people who can answer your ? are allready out in the garage working on their cars. (I just woke my ass up and finished my first cup of coffee) ( I mean just got back from church Ma)
    So i'm heading out there now to see if I can squeaze a 100 hp out of my sporty. Too bad I don't know what the fuck I'm doin.
    so this is just a long way of saying ....
    bttt

3. hatch

hatch
    from house

i worked in a shop in Honolulu and used alkyd enamel with a catalyst...still faded in a short time. Next step... Acrylic enamel with catalyst is a good product. Urethanes are much better, but more expensive. I think most paint types are very similar, due to gov't intervention. The only difference is the brand name.

For solid colors, I prefer single stage (non clearcoat) urethanes.

4. daddylama

daddylama

ive been checking out the same guy on ebay...
    wondered about the quality of the paints he's pushin, but the feedback seems all good.
    never used Hawthorne paints (actually, never HEARD of them), but could be worth a try for the price.
    $22/gallon for primer... but not a clue what kind...

5. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Yeah Fastsporty, I'd like to go for a blast on my 65hp Shovelhead, but I'm too lazy to kick start her. You'll get the 100hp out of her I'm sure.
    Thanks for the tips, I guess enamel's enamel.
    One thing for sure is that I'm never painting anything with lacquer again. It's easy as pie but doesn't last worth a shit unless garaged.

6. Nads, too many vairiables to give exact answers, but maybe some general info will help.

Single stage paints(no clear coat)
    #1 synthetic enamel...garbage, catalized or not, very short lived.
    #2 Acrylic enamel...good stuff, if catalized.
    #3 Urethane... a step up from acrilic. Stronger, longer lasting.

Cheap vs. name brand.
    Yes, there is a differance. Most of the time, a big differance. The government is regulating VOC's. Volatile organic compounds. (the solvents that evaporate into the air)This is why the push for catalized high solids materials. Urethanes are higher solids than acrylics.
    Higher solids, mean less VOC's. Less voc's mean less shrinkage, and a stronger paint film.
    The single most important factor for hold out of a paint film is UV protection. The easiest way to save cost for a paint manufacture is to reduce the UV protectants. There are other differances, but that is the most important. Cheap materials will not last as long. You get what you pay for.
    I don't use cheap materials, primer, or paint. Too much labor involved to cheap out on materials.