Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage ACME SPEED SHOP - Roadtrip to the Roundup.."Buy the ticket, take the ride".....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Acme Speed Shop, Mar 29, 2018.

1. Acme Speed Shop

Acme Speed Shop
    from so cal

649 miles today. Crazy ass winds today. Almost wiped out twice. Tired now. [​IMG]

Sent from my SM-N950U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. ...glad the vans runnin good again, bet that's a bear to drive in the wind,..but yer not alone, we have 45mph winds and 30* here today out of the east, nasty,...nice only if you're drivin west...I hate the wind anytime of year....it was 65 & 70* here on last Wednesday and Thursday...!

loudbang likes this.
  3. ROBERT JAM

ROBERT JAM

Dang! I really enjoy this thread. Patti and I enjoy back roads and small town cafe's. Thanks a bunch for letting me ride along

loudbang likes this.
  4. Not yet rated

Not yet rated

Hey I saw your rig at what turned out to be an underground (access limited) speed shop on east Florida ave. in hemet a few years ago as I recall. How ironic that you're in the sign making biz and this gated shop is still without any signage, welcoming or otherwise. Took considerable online research to contact them by phone. Nevertheless, you have an impressive truck with all the necessary modern improvements to make it roadworthy. Drove a Chevy version of a stepvan decades ago up and down the as yet incomplete highway I5 until my ears nearly bled from the cacophony of noise. Never again. Courageous team you are.

loudbang likes this.
  5. b-bop

b-bop

I know how you feel. You are carrying a lot more "sail" than me. But I too have had days on the road when your hands ache from hanging on for your life. Thanks for taking us for the ride. Always love your road trips.

loudbang, RMR&C and JOYFLEA like this.
  6. I enjoy road trips of both of you. Always disappointed when they are over.

Ben

MMM1693, loudbang and b-bop like this.
  7. Mark, you need to get a "Motorman's Friend" for these long trips.:);)

8. ................When I was a wee lad, an Uncle had a '51 Plymouth Station Wagon with a hole rusted in the rear floor. Came in pretty handy for me as the Uncle was always eager to get to his destination and not inclined to stop for such "trivial" things.:eek:;)

9. There was one guy back in the 70's that had a funnel that exited the floor in front of the drivers seat. Yes while he was driving.:eek: Never want to follow him.:rolleyes:

10. Acme Speed Shop

Acme Speed Shop
    from so cal

I made it home yesterday afternoon. Unloaded the van, cleaned up and went to a friend's birthday dinner. Its always funny to me how easily I slide back into the day-to-day routines after being "out there" for a few weeks. It only took a few minutes and it was as if I never left.

I drove a total of 4659 miles this trip. It's my third time on this route; I think a new route is in order next time.

We met some nice folks out on the road, encountered a few rude drivers, saw a bunch of old stuff that's on a slow decay back into the ground. Again, I realized how big this country is and that most of it is just open space.

There were a few grumpy moments but far more funny and happy ones. Here are a few of my favorites:

As we walked towards the van one morning I told cynthia she looked nice and she asked "did you just say ensemble?" I replied "that's right, I said ensemble!" This was repeated more than once on the trip and it always brought a chuckle.

At the checkout register at a gas station in Burley Idaho, just being myself mind you, and cracking a few jokes; the cashier said to me "I suggest you behave".

At dinner one night I said to cynthia "Is it hot in here or is it just me?" She thought this was hilarious.

Turning left in Santa Fe New Mexico some random guy in the center medium said very enthusiastically "it's a really nice relic" about the van. Relic?

Driving in Colorado I pointed to some horses out on a hill and said " look at those wild horses". Cynthia asked how I knew they were wild and I replied " because they do not have any colars"

We parked in Durango Colorado and fed the meter a few quarters, just long enough to check out the vintage shop across the street, or so we thought. We stayed way longer than planned, forgetting all about the parking meter. When we returned we had a ticket on the windshield. Just then the kid that worked at the vape shop came running out and told us he talked the cop into just giving us a warning for our of date registration. The ticket read "expired registration 1961". It's not really expired, we just never put the new registration stickers on the cool old YOM plates. We got a good laugh out of this. The kid got a free shirt, a big thank you, and a "what could possibly go wrong" sticker. We all got a story to tell.

Thanks for following us. It was a fun ride. [​IMG]

Sent from my SM-N950U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

11. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

Great trip as always! I am looking forward to your new route next year. I am sure you will find even more cool stuff to show us.

loudbang likes this.
  12. Thanks for the ride. I'm proud to be from Durango.

loudbang likes this.
  13. Glad you made it home safely. Sad the saga is over. Next year!

Ben

loudbang likes this.
  14. I'm glad I bought a ticket for the ride.
    I talked to acmegal briefly on that cold Saturday at the Roundup.

Phil

loudbang and jim snow like this.
  15. Bill Nabors

Bill Nabors

This is what it is all about. I will always have good memories of road trips with my son and wife. Wish I could do it again.

loudbang likes this.
  16. PoTaToTrUcK

PoTaToTrUcK

Can't believe I did not buy that 'good stuff' on my two trips through there. Now we have to go back.
    Thanks for re-kindling some great memories.
    T/F
    PS - where is Pokey?

loudbang likes this.
  17. Thanks for all the great pic's & stories-
    Inspired me to keep the camera handy on the next trip instead of leaving it in the trunk.
    Heck, I might even dig out the old Nikon & burn a couple rolls'a film!
    Oh, & since I got to tag along on this cool trip for free, ( forgot to buy my ticket) - I'm a gonna have ta divert a lil bit of the next paycheck to a couple of those bitchin shirt de-zynz I've seen you have avail on yer interweb.
    & Thanks again!!

loudbang likes this.
  18. philly the greek

philly the greek
    from so . cal.

Well that was the most fun since the last time . Thanks for taking the time to share your "Tales from the road" with us .

loudbang likes this.
  19. rgdavid

rgdavid

Glad you had a great time,
    Can we reserve tickets for the next adventure ?
    Ps, hope gumby enjoyed himself and kept his new freind.

loudbang likes this.
  20. ...glad you had a good trip, thanks fer takin us along, can't wait til the next one.

loudbang likes this.
  21. Okay, great trip! Taking off my favorite Acme shirt, wash it, fold it up for the next adventure!
    Appreciate the ride....

loudbang and lothiandon1940 like this.
  22. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Well as the old saying goes"All good things must come to an end".Glad you had a safe trip.Looking forward to next year.Thanks for the ride along.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

loudbang likes this.
  23. Thanks for the ride!:) 4659 miles.:cool: I need a rest.:rolleyes:

24. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

Great adventure. Thanks for sharing

25. Thank you a thousand times for this adventure, John, you and wife have a damn good eye for cool stuff!

26. man.... road trip is over. now what do I do during lunch.

firstinsteele likes this.
  27. r2c1

r2c1

Thanks John and Cynthia........Haven't been able to get back to the Roundup, except once, since you helped me with a bolt from your bolt stash. Really enjoy all your trips. I like the way you share the ride. Ron

28. RMONTY

RMONTY

I already wore mine twice and washed it twice. Good quality shirt....it still fits after drying it! Enjoyed meeting the both of you. I look forward to next year!

29. chaddilac

chaddilac

Awesome!!! Good seeing you guys!!

30. Great trip along with some great photos. I Hope to make it to Texas next year.