Register now to get rid of these ads!

Accident at March Meet

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hot rod wille, Mar 8, 2008.

1. jangleguy

jangleguy

Today I'm working on a story about one of the old pioneers of rodding (has to stay secret for now) who told me he'd love to go out just like John. And he just might. The big caveat is the guy in the other lane, spectators, etc. John got out clean. Godspeed, man...

2. greasel

greasel
    from Fresno, CA

the guy he beat has gotta be sayin 'damn, I got outrun by an unconscious guy...'
    I was pretty bummed to hear about it; but it's one of the best ways to go that I could hope for!

Tim McGraw - 'Live like you were dyin'

3. Ole don

Ole don

Condolances to the family, RIP John. It is terrible to hear of the death of someone like that. That being said, he did not die a long lingering slow death from alzhiemers or cancer which often takes years. It sounds as if he was gone by 1000 feet. What a ride!

4. Sass

Sass

My heart goes out to Judee and their son.
    It was sad to hear of the tragic accident.
    I'm sure my pops and him and all the other greats are racing in the sky. (much like they once had a long time ago at Sacramento raceway)

But to go out doing the one thing that you love as much as John did, I have to say, that's the way I would want to leave this world.
    At 200+ mph and no stopping...
    For his family that had to loose such a great person like John, my heart goes out to them. He will be missed!

RIP

5. kurts49plym

kurts49plym
    from IL

Terrible news to hear-condolences to the family and friends

6. I met John back in the 80's. He built a good car. He wasn't a rich racer by any means. He lasted far longer than most of us. To go out this way is very unique. People will talk about this forever but few will remember he won a national event. RIP Mr. Shoemaker.

7. EmilyBelle

EmilyBelle

Our thoughts and prayers go out to his family.....