Register now to get rid of these ads!

Accessory bypass oil filter debate.... opinions wanted.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Indychus, Jun 19, 2012.

?
  1. Absolutely

4 vote(s)
    57.1%
  2. Not necessary with proper change intervals.

3 vote(s)
    42.9%
  1. Indychus

Indychus
    from Irmo, SC

I currently have my 235 torn apart for a rebuild. It will be back in the car soon, and I am debating on whether to install the accessory bypass oil filter or not. I have read lots of stuff saying it's not neccessary, and I've seen a lot of cars without them. I also see guys who swear you have to have them. I plan on changing the oil every 2k miles, and frankly, I don't like the way it looks and some ebay cash for it would really help me out right now. Plus i have a 292 that will go in the car eventually.

So, not just on the Chevys, but for any car that had an optional oil filter, do you guys think they are absolutely necessary or not?

2. inline 292

inline 292

No filter is 'absolutely necessary'. All they do is keep your oil cleaner. So, it's up to you.

3. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

VW bugs never had a filter ,only a screen

4. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Any filter is better than no filter. A bypass will get the oil cleaner than a full flow. It just takes longer for all the oil to go through the filter.

5. CurbFeeler

CurbFeeler

The old "filter or not" debate pretty much raged on in the 50' and 1960's , but by 1970's the predominant consensus of Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE-I) was that any filter was better than none. This conclusion was based on actual testing of reciprocating engines and bearings.
    {Mahle Clevite Corp still does significant testing on filtration, oils, and wear} .

And, oil screens are "filters", and thus this is why they are described by particle mesh sizes.

Then again, if you beat a dead horse enough it will not need any oil filter. :D