Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Accel Points Eliminator troubleshoot-

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 2bubbas, Jul 15, 2018.

1. Accel Ignition Points Eliminator Kit of unknown age-
    1966 Ford F100 352 V8-
    Truck starts fine- driving down the road it will just stop running- manual trans- turn the key off and back on while still rolling in gear and it will restart itself- it did this 6 times in 16 miles- then will run great at other times- could it be this kit- anyone else have this problem- at a loss- Have checked all wire connections and all act OK- did have a Tach installed and someone when I Googled problem said to disconnect that- it acted fine for a day and then started it again-

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. sevenhills1952

sevenhills1952

There's an instruction pdf you can download that has installation tips.
    It sounds like it may be intermittently going bad, especially not knowing age.

Accel 2020 Ignition Conversion Kit Installation Instructions - Jegs

PDFJegs › InstallationInstructions

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

2bubbas likes this.
  3. alwaystiredlong

alwaystiredlong

Had a similar problem once. Turned out to be a bad ignition switch.

Sent from my SM-G935V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

4. 1st thing I switched out- thought same thing-

5. racerlall

racerlall
    from WA

could be a bad coil once drove my 4 speed GTO 100 miles having to push in the clutch roll until the battery lighted come on then dump the clutch motor would fire briefly and do it again by the time I got their it only ran for a few secants at a tine o and sum big fire ball from the gas fumes filling the exhast

302GMC likes this.
  6. Just ordered replacement Accel and while doing so ordered a new Accel coil- see what that does for this-

7. put in replacements- replace both at same time- could have been either part was causing problem- seems to have fixed it-

8. sevenhills1952

sevenhills1952

Sounds good. What you may want to do is swap coils, take new with you and drive back roads to test. The coil may be good.

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

9. blue 49

blue 49
    from Iowa

The Accel kit I used was light triggered, like a Mallory Unilite. My instructions said I would need a Mallory "active power filter" to have it survive. I put one in and it has worked great for 9 years and over 30,000 miles.

Gary