Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods AC Spark Plugs

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mwhistle, May 14, 2015.

1. mwhistle

mwhistle
    from sacramento

My 1969 327 cu. in. engine uses AC 44 spark plugs which have not been available for years (unless you find New Old Stock on the internet). A year ago, I bought AC 45S plugs at Auto Zone. I went back recently to get more AC 44S or 45S plugs at Auto Zone and was told that they no longer sell the 44S, 45S or the 46S. I'm not sure what's going on with ACDelco.

Can anyone explain or tell me where I can buy these plugs? Or can anyone tell me where I can find a chart that shows the conversion from AC to Champion? Thank you.

2. B Bay Barn

B Bay Barn

3. I run ac R44 XL in my hawg. The S and the L and the XL stand for reach, short, long and Xtra Long.

The R stands for resister plug for use with electronic ignition.

of note they come two ways with ribbed insulators and with smooth insulators, the ribbed insulators are what you want if you can get the guy to look for 'em.

4. Model T1

Model T1

We just put Autolite26 in a 1969 307 from O'Reileys.

5. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Here is a Champion plug that crosses to the 44 ac plug:

A/C DELCO - PART #44
    SPARK PLUG - PART #841
    Plug Type: J8C
    Seat Type: Gasket
    Hex Size (Inch): 0.813
    Hex Size (MM): 20.65
    Thread Size (Inch): 0.551
    Thread Size (MM): 14
    Thread Reach (Inch): 0.375
    Taper Diameter (Inch): 0.25
    Installed Height: 2.24
    Gap (Inch): 0.027-0.033
    Gap (MM): 0.69-0.84
    Center Electrode Diameter (Inch): 0.1
    Center Electrode Material: Nickel Copper Alloy
    Ground Electrode Material: Nickel Copper Alloy
    Classification: Champion Copper Plus Small Engine
    Resistor Plug: N

But I don't have my Champion book here and went off their website. So then I put in 1969 327, and this is the plug they show:

COPPER PLUS - PART #14
    Plug Type RJ12YC; Gap .036; OE Type | Per Vehicle Qty: 8

That number looks more familiar to me.

Don

6. mwhistle

mwhistle
    from sacramento

Don -- You're absolutely right. I found some old Champion j12yc plugs in a drawer. I notice they don't have the R in the number but I think the R stands for resistor, so it probably has no impact on the heat range or plug operation. I notice some of the plugs have a T designation on them. Do you or anyone else know what T stands for? Could it possibly stand for tapered as in Tapered plug versus a flat plug? Thank you.

7. mwhistle

mwhistle
    from sacramento

Can anyone confirm AC plug designations for hot versus cold plugs. In other words are the higher numbers for hotter plugs and the lower numbers for colder plugs? I can't find that info on the internet. Thank you.

8. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

I might be wrong here, but read the full post.

Normally the R means Resistor/Radio protection, it has nothing to do with the type of ignition you are running, it allows people around you to listen to radio with you driving by, it also lets them watch TV, for those who doesn't got cable.

Because otherwise it will give them interferers.
    But since most people got a Cable or the like of, and most Radio signals at digital, it's less of a problem.
    It most important with FM signals, and I believe you mostly uses AM. So it might not mean that much to run them with out the R.

And going by the ES or S short, sometimes you can run the a long plug, it comes down to do you have the room for them. And then find the right glow value.

But take this from a guy that mostly runs Bosch and NGK in place of AC and other of continent brands.
    We run them differently, because we want them from the shelf, and not the ones than comes in next week.
    I've spend the longest time going true "translation"charts to find a good match for a 265, a flat head 100hp 21 stud and for my Volvo to get the best match, performance and availability.

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1431683226.694829.jpg

Last edited: May 15, 2015
  9. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

10. You may have me there, but I never noticed the R plugs until about the time of electronic ignition and everything I have ever worked on with electronic designated resistor plugs where as all the cars prior to electronic didn't designate resistor plugs so I just made that assumption.

Someone asked about heat range. normally a higher number designates a higher heat range. At least I have not run into it differently in my time. I will not say absolutely a higher heat range because if I do someone will know of a plug that is different.

The T probably does stand for taper, that is easy enough to find out without ever asking, just look at two plugs one with the T and one without. If the t plug is a taper plug and the one without had a gasket (washer) then you are golden. On modern plugs like Nitto or Bosch it may also stand for Tungsten. LOL

11. models916

models916

45 is hotter than 44 etc...

12. Is AC still making the R45 T plug?

13. Timbofor

Timbofor

How does one know if he needs to step up or down a heat range from whatever plug he's running?
    The only thing I remember is my dad telling me "number 7 burns a little oil so step up one number to keep it clean longer"

14. oldrelics

oldrelics
    from Calgary

yup 19302739
    but there is a change up coming and it looks like it will change to a R44T.
    ( I am a GM parts tech)

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  15. oldrelics

oldrelics
    from Calgary

the 44s changes to a r43s
    the 45s changes to a r45s

the 'R' is resistor
    the 'S' is extended tip

on Delco plugs heat range (2nd digit) cold 0-1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9 hot

16. It depends completely on your tune.
    I have gone with hotter plugs in engines that run a little fat. With a carb sometimes you have to run them a little fat at idle and low to mid range to not starve them on top end. Sometimes too much cam will require a hotter plug as well as it has the same effect until it hits its sweet spot.

On most of our engines given that it is not worn out a stock heat range plug will suffice.

I hope that helps you a little bit.

17. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Now I know what most of the nos plugs I threw out fit..:rolleyes:

volvobrynk and lothiandon1940 like this.
  18. .............................Thanks, That's good to know.

19. Timbofor

Timbofor

Thanks for the calcification Mr. beans. Since I just build my stuff to drive on the street, I never bother with the fine tuning down to the nats ass performance. As long as it runs decent, good enough for me.
    I have re-jetted my carb before, but never done any real "tuning" as long as the plugs look decent and it doesn't ping I'm good with it.

20. They were all Chevy plugs silly, is there anything else?

I used to prefer Champion plugs until they went off shore. I am a funny old goat, I prefer ACs in a GM and autolights in a Ford. My Cro Magnon intellect makes me think that they work better that way. :eek: :oops: :confused: :)

I have worked on vehicles that needed them indexed, and even changed to hotter or colder from one day to the next. Even played with different gaps and longer or shorter reach to see if we could gain an Nth of a pound foot of torque or a .0001 of a second between point A and point B. Today I look back at it and wonder what I have to show for it.

I do still run hotter plugs in town then on the highway in my air cooled engines. I keep my engine tuned for highway running @ a given speed with a little bit extra incase I want to break the rules. I have discovered that it is easier to change the plugs then to rejet so if I am just hopping around town for more then a day or two I throw one heat range hotter in my engine. But that is just a habit I got into a long time ago and it works for me so I just do it that way.

Probably has no bearing on this thread though.

Last edited: May 15, 2015
    volvobrynk likes this.
  21. Gman0046

Gman0046

Not long ago I bought AC R45TS plugs from NAPA that had a $10 rebate. Cost $10 and change for eight plugs. Thats a good deal any day.

22. mwhistle

mwhistle
    from sacramento

Thanks everyone for your input.

23. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

24. lonestar395

lonestar395
    from Australia

It matters to me though...thanks for your input..

25. mwhistle

mwhistle
    from sacramento

JeffB2 -- Thanks very much. I found the plugs you mentioned on the Jegs web site. Yes, they seem like a good way to go for those who prefer using AC spark plugs. Thank you for commenting.

26. uncle buck

uncle buck

R43S and R45S are both available thru NAPA still with the R45S being the hotter of the 2. Also the R45T is available from NAPA.

27. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

On this topic does anyone know if there is a application guide available online. I got a bunch of nos plugs t a swap meet and I'd like to know what they fit.

28. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

I have never had good luck trying to run regular Champion plugs in a SBC, they would start missing within 100 miles every time. I would leave my old AC plugs in before changing to Champion. Now Champion gold paladium plugs is a different story, I used them all the time when racing motorcycles.

volvobrynk likes this.
  29. jimcolwell

jimcolwell
    from Amarillo

Don't think the Champions are what they used to be. Champions may still be for Molars.:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

volvobrynk likes this.
  30. mwhistle

mwhistle
    from sacramento

Uncle Buck -- Thank you for providing the NAPA source.