Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects AC compressor mount.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rustytoolss, Dec 22, 2013.

1. Rustytoolss

Rustytoolss

I'm making a low AC compressor mount system. How big of a deal is it, if the hose's are mounted at say the 8 O' clock position ? just south of the 90* degree position ?:confused:

2. I have mine on the wagon mounted at about the same angle. HRP

3. Rustytoolss

Rustytoolss

Yeah, VA says not to mount passed 90*. But I have seen a video from nostalgic Air, that's says you can mount with hoses at the very bottom.

4. Old Tin and New Tin

Old Tin and New Tin

Vintage Air installations instructions talks about the center line of the compressor, which they consider to be the centerline of the oil fill plug.

They say when mounting and adjusting your belt, make sure the centerline of the compressor does not go past 90 degrees. Going past 90 degrees will cause loss of oil charge and result in compressor failure.

I have seen pro built cars with the oil fill mounted downward and still function but it doesn't mean it's right. Plus it would be a PIA to add more oil.

5. Rustytoolss

Rustytoolss

Never much thought about adding oil. You make a good point. Looks like I'll leave it were I have it at about the 10 O clock position. Thanks.

6. txturbo

txturbo

adding oil? How often have you ever done that on the compressor? I've always added thru the charging port