Register now to get rid of these ads!

ABS Power Brakes

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wide34, Apr 21, 2012.

1. wide34

wide34
    from Texas

Has anyone had any recent experience with this company? Some older threads from 2007 not happy but wondered if anyone had used them recently, specifically the electric brake booster. Thanks

2. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

3. wide34

wide34
    from Texas

4. They are local to me. I have used them a few times over the past 10 years for both Brake stuff, including a Hydro Boost setup, and Steering Box rebuilds. So far no problems for me.

Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. Weasel

Weasel

Had problems a few years ago and now on my blacklist of companies I will not give my money to....

6. SantaAnaSpeed

SantaAnaSpeed
    from Santa Ana

I've used them pleny of times, no problems so far. Talk to Pedro, he's easy to work with...

7. Yep - Vote for Pedro

8. Dave Rondou

Dave Rondou

I've used them. No problems. Pedro is ok with me.

9. jcapps

jcapps
    from SoCal

Only problem is they also are in the shipping business as they tag on a $10 fee above and beyond the shipping. I am 40 miles away, ordered a 15 residual valve and they charged 16 to ship it.

I called to complain and a woman called back and apologized and fixed it. Two weeks later I went to order another part and they refused to quote the shipping and told me thay add the $10 fee regardless. I have since been buying elsewhere. In the last 3 months they have lost out on about 1k in sales and it will continue that way as I will not buy from them anymore

10. wide34

wide34
    from Texas

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I've posted this same question on some other boards and the answers are about the same, some good service some bad service. I'm interested in the power booster for my grandaughter's project and the only alternative I can find are units from 80's and 90's Cadillacs but local junkyards want $7-800 for units that still need to be rebuilt. Haven't decided whether to try ABS yet but if I do I'll let you know how it turned out. Again thanks for the comments.

11. wide34

wide34
    from Texas

After several months of trying to find a good GM unit at a reasonable price I gave up and decided to purchase the ABS unit. My main concern was the customer service problems that had been reported so I was going to purchase the unit from Speedway but after 4-5 conversations with ABS regarding some technical issues and because they responded not only by phone but with drawings e-mailed to me (I had very limited space for the unit) I decided to purchase the unit from them directly. I was told the unit would ship in 2 days and it did, arrived packaged very well. The installation instructions were minimal at best but the unit is easy to understand and it took me approximately 4 hours to remove the old MC, install the ABS unit and connect new lines and wiring.
    The performance results are as good as I hoped for. I had a 7/8 inch Wilwood master cylinder with a 7:1 pedal ratio feeding 4 Wilwood 4 piston calipers and the best 60-0 stopping distance I could get was 145 feet which was not satisfactory for me. With the ABS unit and no other changes I'm getting 60-0 stopping distances of 105-110 feet which is ok for me. With the Wilwood MC I was getting 800 lbs. of pressure on the front caliper, with the ABS I'm getting 1400 lbs. of pressure.
    The ABS unit is very expensive and had I been willing to install the MC on the firewall there are certainly a lot cheaper ways to go and probably just as effective but I wanted it under the floor and did not have any room for a vacuum booster.
    My only concerns are replacement parts (seals etc., the motor switches etc. appear to be off the shelf items) if someting ever happens to ABS but I guess that is a chance I take with anything I buy.
    I would highly recommend if you can't use a conventional system

Attached Files:

12. oj

oj
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for the product review. I have been looking at that unit and will probably have to go that way. I have an ot project that has the vacuum pump in the trunk and i will tell you right now that it will drive you about nuts whenever you touch the brake pedal - it is the loudest most obnoxious racket that you ever heard and it needs to be replaced.
    For those interested, i have it mounted on isolation dampers and have added extra rubber; i have added a vacuum canister for reserve supply.

13. wide34

wide34
    from Texas

These units aren't real quiet, I used a 5/8 inch vibration pad from the local air compressor company and it still sounds a little louder than an electric fuel pump. I only notice it when I first turn the key on, I've got enough other "noise" that I don't hear it after that. The unit does not run continuous, it builds pressure in the accumulator and then cuts off, runs only after you've used the brakes several times.
    Still really like it!