Register now to get rid of these ads!

? about headers

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by box50, Jun 3, 2011.

1. box50

box50

Does putting headers on your car make it run hotter,heard this the other day just wanted to know if this is true. I want to make my flathead true dual's Thank's

2. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

If that were true, NO flathead Ford would have exhaust headers. It is not true, so they do.

3. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

4. In a way it is true due to the fact the motor will run leaner. You will need to watch the plugs to be sure.

5. Johnunit

Johnunit
    from Toronto

in theory, no, but here are a couple possible reasons why it may appear that way:

1. the increased flow of a set of headers will cause a lean condition in many engines previously tuned with restrictive manifolds. Lean running tends to be hot running, so from that you could have a car overheating after the addition of headers. Richening up the mixture would fix this though

2. headers, especially uncoated/unwrapped headers will cause far more heat in the engine bay (if you run a hood;)), so this will have the effect of you feeling more of a rush of heat when you open the hood, and could cause a minor change in actual running temperature because you're sucking in warmer air through the carb.

there are a couple of other ways I've heard suggested for headers and/or freeflowing exhaust to make a car appear to run hot, but I think they all relate back to the fact that you've significantly changed the engine as a "system" by opening up the exhaust end of things and changing the tuning pressures (in terms of waves within the exhaust) at a given RPM. This can all throw a previously well-tuned carb out of wack, but that's what a screwdriver and jet kit is for.

6. Joey7319

Joey7319

I had never heard that headers would make an engine run hotter until the other day at a cruise in. some guy walks up to my car and says that engine must run pretty hot. when he explain why I was just confused. The car runs cool all the time. No car I have ever had with header ran hot unless something else was wrong with it, like a stuck thermostat.