Register now to get rid of these ads!

? about Gibbs Brand Penetrating Oil....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Harrison, Oct 17, 2006.

1. I have a few questions about Gibbs Brand Penetrating Oil. http://www.roadsters.com/gibbs/

If I wanted to store a car, in a busy home garage, in bare metal for a few years would this stuff work? How oily/wet will it leave the car? Is it going to get on me, my wife, my kids everytime we walk by? Will I have to keep a roll of paper towels nearby so I can wipe off after I touch it? Are dirt, grinding dust, bugs, etc... going to stick to it like crazy.

I know what a car would look like in two months if it was covered in WD-40 in my garage. It would need a bath. Given my storage conditions, will the Gibbs do the same? If this stuff goes on wet & stays wet I can't imagine it won't collect dirt & dust.

What about paining over Gibbs? I understand it wipes off & the car can then be sprayed. What about the creases the Gibbs penetrates into - like where a drip rail is attached. How do you make sure it isn't going to come back out of that crack on down the road & wreck your paint?

Any info would be appreciated.

TIA, JH

2. skajaquada

skajaquada
    from SLC Utard

shit won't stick to it and you can paint over it. simple as that...good stuff!

3. REJ

REJ
    from FLA

I do know one thing about it. I put some on the roll bar on my HA/GR in one area, the rest has slight surace rust on it, but that area is still bare metal. It does not attract dust and is not wet to the touch.

4. It doesn't leave it oily at all, that's the beauty of it, it's like a coating. When you wipe it on you can see it get into the metal and change it a shade darker, after you rub it around it practically dry, you can run your finger over it and nothing appears to come off on your finger. That's the answer to whether stuff will stick to it, or attract dust, it won't do anything more than just regular bare steel setting there, unless you put it on wet and leave it, which is not the way it works.

As far as getting in pinchwelds, etc., when I go to paint and I know it's been in there I just flood the area with Sikkens M600 wax & grease remover a couple of times, it'll pull it all out, or flush it out.

Just get it, you'll see. :)

5. manicmechanic

manicmechanic

Great stuff... I use it on machine parts all the time. They stay rust free for a good long time.[​IMG]

6. Thanks guys.

Sounds Like I may have to give Dave a call.

JH

7. I sprayed some on my Ansen sprint mag wheels that sat outside over the winter.
    Not a spot of corrosion on them in the spring.
    It's good schtuff.

8. Flathead Youngin'

Flathead Youngin'

I've been wondering about this stuff......I know ole' Mr. Mann sure swears by it and I've never heard anyone say something ill......

I know it's pricey but I'd love to try some....

9. Creepy Jack

Creepy Jack
    from SoCal

I apologize for bringing up an older thread, but here are some pix of the hood from my '56 Ford truck. Last week, I stripped all the primer and leftover original paint with aircraft stripper and then let it get a little crusty. Then I hit it with my pressure washer, The Must For Rust, and maroon ScotchBrite scuff pads to get all the surface rust off of it. Next, I wiped it down with Gibbs. This was this past Saturday. I took these pictures this morning:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We've had dew here every morning since I applied the Gibbs, and still no surface rust. No idea how long it will last, but it seems to be working great so far. I'm sold.

modified and kidcampbell71 like this.
  10. BanjoBoy

BanjoBoy

this stuff works as advertised

11. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I was parked behind this car at a show this past weekend. The guy drove in from soewhere in NJ. I wa shocked to see him polishing his car with GIBBS. I don't know how often he does that but it sure seems to work fine

2086958198_59237cd8ac_o.jpg

12. KATFISH

KATFISH

Works good,

"Wont rust, bust, collect dust, corrode or explode...

13. Works as well as claimed,my car has been bare for a year and a half.My shop has moisture come up through floor(next to river,below water level)no rust at all.:D

14. Scott K

Scott K

...keeps the fingerprints and dog nose prints off my stainless fridge too:D

15. 66

from usa

16. MengesTwinCustoms

MengesTwinCustoms

My car is rubbed down with Gibbs and i like using it. It puts a satin sheen on the bare metal. I rubbed it down every two weeks or so. If you wipe it on chrome it polishes it very nicely!

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1456724755.818470.jpg

nunattax and kidcampbell71 like this.