Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage ABC's Wide World of Sports intro clip ....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jon Lundberg, Jan 25, 2016.

1. Jon Lundberg

Jon Lundberg

I need your help to locate a very particular iteration of the opening montage used by ABC's Wide World of Sports between 1969 and 1971. A portion of the "opener" sought features a AA/GS Anglia doing a wild starting line wheel stand at the 1968 NHRA Winternationals. The segment is long enough that the gasser is identifiable; WWOS was so impressed that they displayed the snippet for two years thereafter. This venue has broad enough reach that if such is "out there" this amazing group should be able to find it. Thanks for helping.

2. Jon: Is Speed Sport Magazine still around? That's the first place I'd go unless I knew a name from the particular car. Tim

3. slowmotion

slowmotion

All I remember is the guy going ass-over-tin cup on the ski jump. Sorry, no help.

Hdonlybob, Jet96, drifters cc and 2 others like this.
  4. Phillips

Phillips
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wow is this THE Jon Lundberg? An honor to have the chance to correspond with you.

Somehow I don't recall an Anglia in the intro. I recall a slingshot wheelie, stock cars bunching up in a corner, Indy cars coming at you out of a turn, F1 cars taking a chicane, a flat track rider taking the high side, and of course the ski jumper.

Week after week I watched that blasted show wondering "is this the week they finally show some racing?" Seemed like it always ended up being figure skating.

Good luck in your search - I bet it's on Youtube somewhere.

5. I spent about a half hour searching Google and watching intro's. I didn't see any with a wheel stander, or any drag racing for that matter. Are you sure on the dates, 1969-1971?

6. i remember waiting for racing also and being disappointed when it was bowling or skating.
    any body remember the vw race episode . 5 guys per car and they had to drive a short distance pull the engine out, carry it around a cone, put it back in the car and drive back to the start/finish line? or did i just imagine that?

7. cfmvw

cfmvw

Sounds like the engine pull competition they used to do at the old Bug-In events at Orange County International Raceway years ago, only it was a two-man team. I think it was Don Schenk and Randy Foster who held the record at two minutes and change; they had to jack up the car, drop the motor, run it fifty feet or so, bring it back, reinstall it, drop the car, fire it up, and drive it back to the fifty foot mark. They practiced quite a bit to get that good!

BTW, the guy going head-over-heels on the ski jump is the only part of the WWOS that I remember!

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  8. @Jon Lundberg in this video intro they show a small clip and make a reference to a different wwos intro. looks like pre march 1970.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2016
  9. stimpy

stimpy

Jon have you tried calling ABC sports to see if they have it in the archive/library ?? your name should be able to open doors around there ... or see if you can have help from some of the big guys still racing .

10. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Jim McKay - "The Thrill of Victory.. The Agony Of Defeat".

Good times, my heart breaks.

slowmotion likes this.
  11. Jon Lundberg

Jon Lundberg

Thanks for your input, folks. Please extended to your contacts and keep trying. I'm gonna call ABC.

12. stimpy

stimpy

Jon, have you tried Al Booten ( draglist) ?? he might know as he is litterlly a historian on stuff like that .

13. Phillips

Phillips
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I was a bit off, some of what I recall was not on the intro, but in promo commercials. About 38 seconds in on this one is the dragster wheelie.

Also a quick shot of Graham Hill at 36 seconds in.

Imagine how seeing these promos drove an 8 year old me insane with the promise of exciting motorsports action only to end up with gymnastics or synchronized swimming.

Still no Anglia in this one.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2016
    tb33anda3rd likes this.
  14. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

I looked a little at youtube,you might give that a try.found 1968 but not what you wanted.

15. Jon Lundberg

Jon Lundberg

Called ABC in NYC this AM. Not much help there. Appreciate you folks looking around!

16. I recall the cliff divers from Acapulco, Barney Cipriani was one of them. I was there in 1983 and the locals were doing the cliff diving.. insane!

stillrunners likes this.
  17. toml24

toml24

Here you go.
    1960s-WWOS dragster.jpg

18. Jon Lundberg

Jon Lundberg

Tom124: Thanks, but I'm looking for an English Ford Anglia gasser doing a wheelstand. The clip is long enough that the car is fully identified. Again, thank you.

19. cfmvw

cfmvw

When you do find it, could you share it with us? I don't remember it, but I'd sure like to see it!

20. stimpy

stimpy

all the ones I remember were the snivley /Don P one where snivelys clutch cut the car in half ( they cut the scene right before the car breaks apart but show the boom and sparks ) but that was in the early 70's and they ran that for many years ... Jon HAve you tried contacting AL B. thru draglist or even try Bill Pratt as they should be able to help over there . I Am suprised abc couldn't help you out but then again since ESPN/Disney took over the sports scenes have excluded american motorsports in general other than Indy or Formula one stuff

21. rfraze

rfraze

Hi Jon. Dean Kirsten owned Anglia Obsolete and is Mr. Anglia, just like Rob Stuart is Mr. Austin . He published the EnFo newsletter for years and may be your guy for finding this. He has been writing for Hot VWs mag for years, which was Wright Publishing. I'll dig out his number and see if I can catch him for you.

22. Jon Lundberg

Jon Lundberg

rfraze: Thank you! I would very much appreciate being able to speak with Dean Kirsten.

23. rfraze

rfraze

Email and message sent.
    Update for Anglia and English Ford fans:
    -Anglia Obsolete is getting Dean Kirsten's full-time attention these days. Check website.
    -Gasser Wars magazine is available from Phil and Dee Morris at Morris Motorsport Printing in Snohomish, WA. Quality is as high as you would expect from printers who LOVE motorsports.
    -The most recent issue of Gasser magazine shows the wheelstanding "Mighty Mouse" Anglia in a picture that forms the front and back cover. These covers are a trademark for Ernest McIntyre after taking over publishing responsibilities from Barb and Greg Dummer.
    Both magazines include enthusiast's submissions, so you get broad coverage.