Register now to get rid of these ads!

Abandoned Packard dealership in Lawrence, KS

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by povertyflats, May 25, 2012.

1. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

I just got word that those old cars that have been featured on the Hamb as abandoned are being auctioned off tomorrow at 10 am at 1106 Rhode Island in Lawrence. I am driving and have no more info. Do some goggling if you are interested in saving them from crushers.

2. Gromit

Gromit

3. Slick Willy

Slick Willy

4. scrappin bottom

scrappin bottom
    from Austin

5. 1 BAD DLX

1 BAD DLX

That is a beautiful site. Whomever won that auction is very lucky. Lots of hidden gems in that place, I bet.

6. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

$205 a ton is the going rate here if you are wondering how much you will have to pay.

7. Larry T

Larry T

Here's your chance to get some of those "hoarded" cars that some of ya'll bellyache about!
    Take cash.

Last edited: May 25, 2012
  8. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Right. There will surely be scrappers there; it's their living. :eek: They'll take them cheap, if no one else bids. SO, be ready to pay up to $205 a ton (or a tad more), if you plan on winning any of these cars! Most of those Packards will weight two tons or more. NO "PackaBakers." All range between 1950 and 1956.

I hope somebody in the area can be there with a camera and catch this event. :confused: It's been fairly well publicized on the HAMB and on a Hemmings blog, to name two.

Last edited: May 27, 2012
  9. I've had a chance to peek over the fence. The cars seem pretty decent after having sat outside for who knows how long. They're at least good for parts cars if not a resto. Really neat old place. Can't believe it's been abandoned for years and right across from the courthouse. Figure somebody would have raised a guff before now.

Last edited: May 25, 2012
  10. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Please check. Pretty sure the auction is TOMORROW, Saturday, unless it was rescheduled.

11. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well, I hope someone steps up and buys the better ones of that bunch to rebuild, restore or customize. Some guys might give better than scrap price just to get the rear fenders and taillights off one of those sedans.

I hope someone in that area goes and gives a report on what they went for.

12. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

That is what I said in the first place....the auction is tomorrow. Good luck to anyone interested. Packard parts make for good income in my past experience.

13. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

Here's a bump to help save some Packards.

14. I hope they find a good home

15. Kelly Burns

Kelly Burns

I can't find any information about the furniture to be auctioned on June 24, anyone know if its out of the house in the video or from the old dealership?

16. I heard that they were going to auction off everything in the house and sheds one of the next few weekends too. Now, can't find zip about it. Maybe it was cancelled or moved to a much later date. Will ask about it tomorrow.

17. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

Ok thanks for helping Bill.

18. BTB-Derby

BTB-Derby

Talk about a woody, if I was younger I would be there for sure.:):)

19. Kelly Burns

Kelly Burns

Thanks, I would really appreciate it!!

Kelly Burns

Sent from my iPhone using TJJ app

20. paulie_boy13

paulie_boy13
    from NC

I used to pop my head over that fence when I'd walk down the alley bouncing from 8th st taproom to the replay lounge. Guy never did catch me looking at the cars (that's all I did was look, never actually jumped the fence ever). Hear he'd shout you down if he caught you. Also heard he was a hoarder. Can't imagine the inside of the house. About 9th st a block off Mass. Hope someone gets em before the crusher does. Larrytown seemed to sell its soul a few years ago. It's a shame. Still love that town though.

21. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Any word yet if anybody was able to get any photos during the auction?

22. Went for a bit yesterday and snapped a few picts. Did not stick around that long as it was 10th anniversary and Whitney had been working all night. I think I got a good one as we spent part of our honeymoon at Carlisle Ford swap and then yesterday.
    Anyway, there was a good crowd of Packard fans looking over the cars. The auctioneer waited to put the cars on the block last thing. So, did not hear prices, but am confident that scrappers did not get their grubby hands on any of it.
    The contents of the house and shed are going to be auctioned off June 24th. I'll go back for that one too. Here's a link to watch.
    http://kansasauctions.net/calendar/jun22/

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

23. It was kind of a pain getting any decent shots of the cars as they were all close together and there was plenty of scrub all around too.

Most of the cars were complete except for smashed windows and lenses. Could have been restored with enough effort or used as parts.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

24. ImForwardlook

ImForwardlook

Wow, some beautiful Packards there! I sure hope they got saved! Anyone got there to witness the auction?? I wonder how much dealership stuff was stashed at the site as well...what a time machine!

Lol, looks like I was slow to post...thanks for the heads-up! Glad to hear the good news, will be interesting to see the rest of the stuff!

Last edited: May 27, 2012
  25. There was very little in the way of parts or dealership pieces. I am hoping that stuff will show up in the auction for the house and sheds. They were closed up tight so could not see what was inside. Hopefully some more gems will turn up.

26. This beauty was parked down the street.

I'll post more snaps of the June auction if anything turns up.

[​IMG]

27. adamshumard

adamshumard

Might have to go the house one.

28. NEALS49

NEALS49

29. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

BlackTopBuddha, you da MAN! ;) SUPER coverage under little better than junkyard
    conditions! Thanks to you AND your missus for taking the time to cover an impor-
    tant event, probably never to be repeated on this scale. Thanks also, Neal! Abso-
    lutely, I'm betting there is a metric ton of SUPER stuff in the outbuildings and within
    the house! :eek: You all make us feel almost as if we were there ourselves. Big THANKS
    to PovertyFlats and to Daniel Strohl of Hemmings for getting the word out to the
    Packard faithful! :)

[​IMG]

Right, WHAT A BEAUT! (I'm betting this would bring a smile to the face
    of HAMBer SunRoofCord, too!)