Register now to get rid of these ads!

History abandoned gas and service stations

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lostforawhile, Nov 11, 2010.

1. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

I started this thread for everyone to post their pictures of abandoned Gas stations and abandoned service stations. I'll post a few now, and I'll post some more when I find them, I have a bunch around somewhere. It's getting sad you just don't see real gas stations anymore. Just mega convenience stations.

all of these were taken here locally in town, I'm going to take more, we have some interesting old curved wall buildings that used to be stations.

[​IMG]

the alternator service placed closed a few years ago, He was one of the old service guys who could fix anything electrical. He finally got so old he had to retire. You just don't find many places like this anymore. If you brought him an alternator, it didn't matter how old, he probably could fix it on the spot.
    [​IMG]

this used to be a station, I can't find any more details about it, it still has the in ground lifts next to the building. It'll fall down in a couple of years, it's that bad.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. big creep

big creep

rad! subscribing now!

3. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

this will always be my favorite, This was in my hometown of Ashtabula Ohio, I used to pass it every single day, some of my earliest memories are stopping here with my dad for gas. It was SUPPOSED to have been taken down and put into a historical society, but was carted off and destroyed along with all pictures and drawings. A lot of people there are very upset to this day. Pictures and videos have started surfacing now, like this one someone took in 1976 http://vimeo.com/12339196

4. big creep

big creep

there is one on adams hill in glendale ca, abandoned for years, then it became a store front, then it was abandoned again and i thought for sure someone was going to buy it and level it. its on a busy corner, but no the city bought it and made it a community park!
    small but cool!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    http://www.adamshill.org/history/history.html
    adams square, my old stopping grounds!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014

5. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

this was Mr. Kegans station, He had to stop selling gas due to the EPA, but he still sold and mounted used tires, and sold candy, etc. He passed away a few years ago, he had to stop working at the station years ago, he was getting Alzheimer's, I used to go up there on Saturdays and sit in there. There were people coming up and robbing him because he didn't know what was going on, so he had to retire. It's been empty since. the front was replaced, due to a car driving through it, that's why it looks new.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

this was bunkers, they closed down about five years ago, it's now a weekend auto detail place.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I took this on back roads heading up to north Georgia

[​IMG]

same here, I was told at one time this was a single pump station

[​IMG]

6. big creep

big creep

thats cool i love the wooden building, too bad asshole people would do that to an older guy.

7. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

that station is now almost in town, he raised a family in the back of that little building, the way they are tearing things down, I don't give it long, it still does belong to his family though

8. pdq67

pdq67

Here in MO, the one's we can still find are the little pointy roofed Phillips 66 gas stations. They are usually on the old original US hwy's if you drive them slowly across the state.

Some are just off the town square as you drove through town on the old roads.

pdq67

9. pdq67

pdq67

Here in MO, the one's we can still find are the little pointy roofed Phillips 66 gas stations. They are usually on the old original US hwy's if you drive them slowly across the state.

Some are just off the town square as you drove through town on the old roads.

pdq67

10. You are too kind...you should mention that the "historical Society" is the Case Western Historical Society, specifically the Crawford Auto-Aviation Musuem...I purchased many Cleveland specific items from them when they started selling off the collection to pay bills (payroll)...I delt with a jackel named Rand Broadstreet. When questioned about this specific gas station, he laughed and said they scrapped that, too far gone! His quote "but I kept the bubble on the top and use it as a skylight on my chicken coupe!" Sorry to rant but they are about business, not preservation. I can go on but you all probably don't want to hear it....

11. 1952henry

1952henry

These stations pre-date me, but I love to see them. Thanks!

12. big bad john

big bad john

.........Sure do remember these old stations.....they use to pump your gas,check the oil....clean the windows......end even fix your car........these small time stations were in big cities and rural America...families could make a living running them..........now all we have is big box stations with 20 pumps in front and a food market in them........thanks for the great thread.......

13. maverick

maverick

Round Top Sherwood,AR. Its actually listed on the national register so it will be preserved.

[​IMG]

14. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

do they look anything like the one I posted above? the one owned by Mr Kegan? I'm not sure what the original brand there was. He was in his 70's and still had a lot full of old worn tires, and still mounted them himself

15. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

you can rant away, I hate him too

16. scrubba

scrubba

Hey, I was part of the group that saved a Gloco in Dallas years ago. I know about the Ohio Flying saucer station as I used to see it when I was in town . Meanwhile , I still do the models : Here are a few ..........
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Built in 1937 in Richmond Virginia , 3rd and Preston ave
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Built in 1923 in Richmond Va. 25th and P st
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Built in 1930 in Winston salem N C
    scrubba

17. lbrunkala

lbrunkala

Very cool thread! I have to get busy and take some pictures.

18. got to go down and take pictures of horne chevrolet in town by me.. and I better do it quick.. they are set to tare down the gas station and a house on the property... the main building however is going to be reclaimed as the new St Johns town Hall...

19. NITROFC

NITROFC
    BANNED

20. Nice!What scale are they?

21. Na, just gets me all riled up....wait till I get to that nice virgin model a that was stamped in Cleveland and the chassis is on display at the Craford musuem:D

22. appaRATus

appaRATus

Here is one that is near my buddy's house, it is his A sitting in front.
    I bought gas from Mr. Reese back in the late 70's. This station was also in a at least two movies, the best known was Driving Miss Daisy and I think the other was a movie with Brad Pitt but I cant remember the name, also I think it was in another movie as well.

Attached Files:

23. Mr Mayo

Mr Mayo
    from Huff, ND

If you're not already familiar with the site, Shorpy.com has some great pics. Here's one of my favorites, taken in Western ND in 1937:

Attached Files:

24. There's a place near my Mum's town. In Ballarat - Victoria - Australia.
    There's a big shed, With 'SHELL' Painted on the side.
    I've only briefly driven past it a few times, But from what i've noticed, it looks old, and un-used.
    However you can tell it's legit, and not just some painted mural on a tin wall.

25. This picture was taken around '95, I don't think there is anything left now.

California central valley near Coalinga.
    [​IMG]

26. daren

daren

Hey what is that old factory behind the Moultrie alternator service building. I like old architecture, and I pass that Moultrie alternator service and that old factory everytime I head to the Moultrie post office shuttling trucks.

27. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

thats the swift plant, most of it is torn down, but there's a lot of debate on pulling that part down. they are going to remove and save the old steam engine and flywheel, I would like to take pictures inside of there, but it's fenced off. That plant built this town, thats also why the football team is called the packers. There are a lot of small buildings around here that used to be gas stations, a few restored, most not. Next to the nappa auto parts here is one of those small peaked stations, they detail cars there now, it's in horrible shape, there's been a steel desk sitting on top of the old outdoor lift for years. It's always a giveaway to see the old concrete pump locations left. If you ever come in town, across from the Barbecue pit, is a steam engine under a shelter. across from it is a closed 70's gas station/service station, it's been all kinds of stuff but it's been empty for a while, I think it used to be a chevron, who knows what else, it now says D/D . behind it is Mcgees master muffler, they had a pretty neat old muffler shop, the type you could pull up a chair in, but someone set a car on fire on the lift a few months ago, and burned it down, it's still there but it's now a modern building. I really wish I had taken pictures of the inside of the Alternator place before it closed, he could find anything in there.

28. Here is one South of Abilene.

[​IMG]