Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Ab Jenkins Record Run in a 1956 Pontiac

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by GreaserJosh13, May 27, 2019.

1. GreaserJosh13

GreaserJosh13
    from Chino

Hey guys. Wanted to pass along this article about Ab Jenkins that someone shared with me. Hope you enjoy it as much as I did.
    IMG_7619.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

2. WZ JUNK

WZ JUNK
    from Neosho, MO

Ab is one of my hot rod heros. He was an amazing man.

3. GreaserJosh13

GreaserJosh13
    from Chino

Yeah. I’d never heard of him until I read this article & then I did a search on here for his name & a couple of threads popped up. One of the threads has a 25 min video of him speed testing an Auburn for 24 hours on the salt. Basically the same thing he was doing in the above article. He definitely seemed like an awesome guy based on everything I’ve found & read about him. I know I’ve enjoyed learning a little bit of hot rod history.

4. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

See the movie, it is amazing story of a Land Speed Family
    [​IMG]
    We saw it at the Peppermill Show House at Wendover and the had the Meteor outside afterwards. It should be on your shelf

5. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

I can see how this was a class record but don't see how it was an unlimited record since Ab himself went faster in a Pierce Arrow in 1934, a Duesenberg in 1935 and an aircraft engined Duesenberg in 1936.

6. WZ JUNK

WZ JUNK
    from Neosho, MO

The book about him is a great read. Just do a search on Amazon for Ab Jenkins book. I tried to post a link but I am computer challenged today.

John

7. GreaserJosh13

GreaserJosh13
    from Chino

I have know idea. I just posted the article because I thought it was cool. I have literally no knowledge of these types of records or classes, but I’m really enjoying the history lessons.

8. GreaserJosh13

GreaserJosh13
    from Chino

I’m for sure going to check this out.
    Thanks.

9. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sorry greaser but in my opinion it was a pile of rust by the end of 1957.. The dual quad 317" may have been saved but obsolete by racing standards in 57 also. Good luck tho...

10. GreaserJosh13

GreaserJosh13
    from Chino

Hey Jimmy,
    Thanks for the response. I’m not actually looking for Ab’s car. That is just the title of the article I posted. Whoever wrote the article may have been looking for it. It would be pretty cool if someone did have it or know where it was at.

11. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

If I had to guess I would say the Pontiac was shipped around to various car shows and dealership show rooms for about a year then sold off cheap. It may have been run into the ground as someone's daily transportation or maybe turned into a race car and pulverized in a few years. Chances of it surviving, I would guess, would be about 1 in 100. But, you never know your luck.

If someone wanted to put together a replica there are probably a few 56 Pontiac 2 door sedans around, and suitable engines. Any accessories or modifications would be tougher to replicate.

12. Bird man

Bird man
    from Milwaukee

Cool story Bro. How much horse pressure would it take to run that fast? Those head ports & exhaust manifolds were pretty puny in '56. Must have been a good trick.

13. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That dual quad 317 was rated at 285. There is nothing to say it wasn't warmed up a bit. The altitude at Bonneville is 4900 ft so your going to loose some hp. In the heat of August could over 10,000 corrected. I'll bet was a std trans too.

14. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Just an FYI, but the Lou Moore mentioned in the article was an Indianapolis 500 winning car owner prior to his NASCAR days. He could probably be considered the Roger Penske of his time. Ab's son Marvin was also involved with the Novi cars prior to this time.

15. RustyDogg

RustyDogg

Im late to the party on this thread. But I just saw the Bonneville movie and am blown away at what an amazing man Ab Jenkins was and what he means to automotive history. I'd heard of him and read bits over the years but wow. Just wow.