Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Aarons 29 AV8 coupe build

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Aaron D., Jul 27, 2016.

1. Another good update. Thanks for sharing it.

Aaron D. and greaser like this.
  2. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

a '30 -'31 radiator is narrower than the '28 -'29 units...will fit in a '32 shell...
    they sell an alum. 3" chopped job which should drop it to lower than your firewall hight...
    that is what I did... $189 + shipping...
    also when the politicians have had their day, grab some signs... trim them, tape them to both sides of your radiator while you set up the car... alum. [any]radiators are very tender...

Aaron D. likes this.
  3. Aaron D.

Aaron D.

Thanks brEad, and thanks for the info Sloppy. I have Jamco working up a quote for a new radiator. Superior Radiator could make me one also.
    Feels like I made good progress on the coupe this weekend.
    Aaron

Corsa and Jeff34 like this.
  4. Oldbill51

Oldbill51

Hi Aaron, I'll apologize up front in case you have already answered this question. What are you using for your tie rod ends? I believe I have a situation that would be resolved if I could lay my hands on a set of those, thank you in advance. Bill

5. Aaron D.

Aaron D.

6. Oldbill51

Oldbill51

Thanks Aaron, your help is much appreciated!

7. Another nice update. Thanks for letting us follow along. Your videos will be an immense help to me when I start on my own model A build.

8. gus gustafson

gus gustafson

Aron; Could you please elaborate on chopping(shortening) welding the steering wheel rod ,
    1) did you sweat that collar on?
    2) What dia . of collar ? if the collar is to large in Dia . you can't assemble.
    thk/u. for your time. gus..

9. Aaron D.

Aaron D.

Hi Gus, When I shortened the steering shaft I removed the length that I needed gone, beveled the two ends of the steering shaft about 2/3rds of the thickness and took it to work where we have a professional welder. He TIG welded it back together using Silicon-Bronze TIG rod. I then brought it home and sleeved the area with some tubing that I have (Helicopter control rod). I MIG welded each end of the sleeve to the steering shaft. The tubing is .950 Dia. with .084 wall thickness. The sleeved steering shaft fit through the bearing and steering box easily, I was even able to slide the felt dust washer over the sleeve when I assembled everything.
    I did what I did, but probably the better way is to cut the length you need removed from the top of the steering shaft and have it retapered, keyed and threaded at a machine shop.
    Aaron

brEad likes this.
  10. gus gustafson

gus gustafson

Great info , also vid's are a great help, thanks, gus (former "Gainesville Gator" now a Duck in Oregon).

11. Aaron D.

Aaron D.

Cool Gus, my sons are at OSU, one in school and the other works there.
    brEad, glad to help.

Took a stab at building the rear crossmember cover.

Corsa, Mikel50 and sloppy jalopies like this.
  12. Jeff34

Jeff34

Aaron,
    Great updates, as usual. I don't know how you work in this FL summer heat. I'm in Celebration, FL this week for work, and it is fookin' HOT! Just breathing the heavy air isn't fun.
    Wish I had more time. I'd head out to Hudson to see this coop in person!

Oh, and when you're done with this project, I'm looking forward to the "unaired episodes" and "bloopers" videos :)

13. Aaron D.

Aaron D.

Ya Jeff, the Florida summers are brutal. I have to keep a big fan on me when I'm out in the shop. I miss the dry air of the west coast!
    Blooper reel, ya, that would be a long video!!! Haha.

14. Aaron D.

Aaron D.

Finally an update!

FlatJan, Corsa, Jeff34 and 4 others like this.
  15. greaser

greaser

Thanks for the update Aaron. I think everyone will agree that most builds are two steps forward and one step back. Then some days , its the opposite! My truck was well on its way, then life sidelined it a bit. When I retired and got back to working on it.... I blew it all apart and started over. Guess my preferences changed during the down time. Hey! What else would I be doing, right?? Now with age rushing up on me, I think I need to finish the darn thing while I can still clutch it!
    I enjoy every post you do. Already looking forward to the next one! Have FUN!

Aaron D. likes this.
  16. barrnone50

barrnone50
    from texas

Looking good Aaron! That is a drag about the Body,how well I know just when your clicking along then What the
    hell did I do you have a great attitude and your making it happen, Keep the faith. Thanks for the update it very helpful and informative. George

Aaron D. likes this.
  17. Glad to see an update, too. I appreciate that you share the bad with the good in your thread. I suspect your videos will help me and others avoid some similar mistakes. They really are helpful. As said above, keep the faith. You're doing great.

Aaron D. likes this.
  18. greaser

greaser

Aaron, Hoping to hear you survived the storm with minimal damage, if any.

19. Aaron D.

Aaron D.

Hi Greaser, no damage to speak of. We were lucky this time. Finally got everything back to normal today. Hope to get some work done on the Coupe now that all that is in the past.
    Aaron

greaser likes this.
  20. Aaron D.

Aaron D.

Thanks for the offer Sloppy, It's been awhile since I tore the Coupe apart. I don't remember if I had all the moldings or not. Thanks though.
    Here's an older video that I forgot to post.

Corsa, brEad, Jeff34 and 1 other person like this.
  21. Aaron D.

Aaron D.

Fitting the 32 grill shell and making the hood fit.

Corsa, brEad and Jeff34 like this.
  22. greaser

greaser

Great job as usual, Aaron. I'm glad you decided to keep the hood sides... Looks awesome!

23. Aaron D.

Aaron D.

Thanks Greaser.

24. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

i have just snagged ; 2 '28-'29 tudor or coupe door garnish, 2 coupe quarter garnish, 2 overdoor upholstery/weatherstrip retainers, and a rear window garnish.... any interest in any of it ?

25. Jeff34

Jeff34

Great work as always, Aaron! Do you do all your panel welding with MiG?

26. Aaron D.

Aaron D.

Hi Jeff, yes I use the MIG for everything I weld. I take the important stuff to work and have our professional welder TIG weld for me.

27. Aaron D.

Aaron D.

A quick update on the grill.

Corsa, brEad, waxhead and 1 other person like this.
  28. Aaron D.

Aaron D.

A little more progress. Nothing super exciting but jobs that need done. I'm at a point where I need to take the body off again and get the frame finalized and ready for paint.

Corsa, greaser and 39 Aaron NZ like this.
  29. GASSERBOB

GASSERBOB
    from USA

Coming along real nice Aaron. Thanks for the how to videos. I like them. Bob...................

Aaron D. and greaser like this.
  30. Aaron D.

Aaron D.

Got the body off the frame. Now to finalize the front wishbone mount and do more work on the frame.
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

39 Aaron NZ, low down A and waxhead like this.