Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Aarons 29 AV8 coupe build

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Aaron D., Jul 27, 2016.

1. Aaron D.

Aaron D.

I have been collecting parts for around 10 months or so. I finally came across a body and frame that is in pretty good shape, so now I have enough parts to actually start working on the project. My plan is a traditional style build with the Bishop/Tardel books as a guide. I have an 8BA that needs some work, a 39 Ford sedan as a donor car for the rear banjo, radius rods, toque tube, transmission, steering shaft, and front spindles. It also has an 8BA in it, but I doubt its any good. The guy I bought the car from said it has a 3/4 cam and 4" crank, but that's yet to be confirmed. I've also collected an F1 steering box, F1 front brakes, 1935 wire wheels, Stewart Warner gauges, tach and speedo, F1 cross member and pedals.
    The 29 Coupe body is in pretty good shape and came with all the fenders, hood, deck lid, grill shell and headlights. I don't plan on running fenders but it's nice to have that option. It also came with a nice leather covered front seat and rumble seat with matching door panels, all of which are usable and have that old hot rod feel to them.
    image1.JPG image2.JPG image3.JPG image4.JPG
    So far I have reversed the eye on the rear spring and removed 3 leafs, the spring had 11 when I started. I have also fixed the crease in the left lower cowl panel and firewall. I'm now working my way around replacing old Bondo repairs with metal patch panels. I'll start posting more pics as the work progresses. I hope you enjoy the build.
    Aaron

2. brokenspoke

brokenspoke

3. waxhead

waxhead
    from West Oz

Looks like a good start, and you already have most of the parts to get this finished.

4. Good project, enjoy.

5. Aaron D.

Aaron D.

Put the car in the garage, not much room but it will work until the shop gets built out back. I don't have enough room to pull the body off the frame like I would like to so I'll be working on the body for now.
    The first thing I noticed was the cowl panels were not fit right. They look like reproduction panels that were made to flat and didn't curve in at the bottom like they should. I took them off and put some slices into the inside flange and used clamps to pull them into the correct shape, then welded the slices back together. They fit correctly now.
    IMG_1872.JPG IMG_1873.JPG
    I also found a Bondo patch filling up a rusted are in the bottom of the A pillar. Took the Bondo out and replaced it with a metal patch panel.

Started fitting the wood body mount blocks, nothing is lining up on those so far!
    Aaron

Attached Files:

1947knuck and T-roaster like this.
  6. Tobbe J

Tobbe J

7. Aaron D.

Aaron D.

Spent most of the day aligning the body to the frame. I need to make the subrail extensions up front, but in order to do that I needed the body mounted correctly first. I had to drill new holes in the subrails and frame where the mounting blocks go because whoever put the subrails in drilled them in the wrong spots.
    I also trimmed the thickness of the body mount blocks down to get the body lower on the frame.
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1470004461.786485.jpg
    I also made up the passenger side A pillar mount plate to replace the rusted out one.
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1470004555.994094.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1470004570.463298.jpg
    Progress is good!
    Aaron

8. Aaron D.

Aaron D.

Started off the day by cleaning off the bottom of the drivers side hinge/A pillar. I found an old patch that had rusted through around the perimeter. I made a pattern, cut out the area and put in a new patch. The whole bottom of the pillar was rusted away, I rebuilt the front, the
    back and the bottom. There is a low spot on the bottom of the patch, but not to bad for a novice guy like myself.
    IMG_1879.JPG
    IMG_1880.JPG
    IMG_1883.JPG
    IMG_1881.JPG
    IMG_1882.JPG
    After that was done I wanted to see how bad the rear of the drivers side quarter panel was. I could tell there was a bad attempt at repairing something back there and I curious how bad it was. Turns out to be not so bad. It looks to me that someone back in the day tried to do some repairs with brass, then someone later on in the cars life used a ton of Bondo. I scraped and then sanded all the Bondo off. The rear quarter looks pretty good actually, but the front lower patch is pretty bad. Instead of a flush patch, they did a lap patch with brass. There is about an 1/8" to 1/4" difference between the patch and the original panel. Would it be a good idea to grind the brass off then slice the panel at the line and bring it back flush with the original?
    IMG_1887.JPG
    IMG_1885.JPG
    IMG_1889.JPG
    IMG_1888.JPG
    Aaron

9. Aaron D.

Aaron D.

10. rmcroadster

rmcroadster

I have never had much success with trying to weld where brazing has been done previously. The bronze seems to form such a good bond at the molecular level it just won't grind off. I would cut out the whole section with the braze if I were going to weld in a repair.
    Matthew

Aaron D. likes this.
  11. HRK-hotrods

HRK-hotrods

I agree... I would cut it out completely and start over from scratch.

12. Well the purists will say that to be an A V8 it has to be a roadster. but let 'em eat worms if they can't take a joke. ;)

I like it so far, looks like you got a good solid foundation to start from. Keep up the good work. ;)

13. barrnone50

barrnone50
    from texas

Looking Good!! like the Video.. subscribed Keep up dates coming!

14. Bader2

Bader2

Nobody says that. Av/8 is flathead,model a frame. Coupe,rpu,closed cab pickup,tudor,fordor,roadster,whatever.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Last edited: Aug 14, 2016
  15. Aaron D.

Aaron D.

Do you guys like the video updates better than pics and writing?

1947knuck, Corsa, 48fordnut and 2 others like this.
  16. barrnone50

barrnone50
    from texas

Video Work for me!! Thanks

Hotrodmyk likes this.
  17. Aaron D.

Aaron D.

Ughh... so f****n hot in Florida right now.

1947knuck likes this.
  18. Aaron D.

Aaron D.

More progress. Working my way around the car fixing rust and other metal damage.

1947knuck likes this.
  19. Aaron D.

Aaron D.

Im missing whatever holds the wood in place up front. Does anyone have a picture of what's supposed to be where my finger is pointed? IMG_1473720513.972913.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

1947knuck likes this.
  20. Aaron D.

Aaron D.

21. barrnone50

barrnone50
    from texas

Looking Good coming along.. Nice Shop! What was the Primer you used?

22. Aaron D.

Aaron D.

Southern Polyurethane Industries (SPI) Red Oxide Epoxy Primer

1947knuck likes this.
  23. Keep up the good work! Looks like you're having one of those 'experiences', where everyplace you take off the old primer, you get another nice 'surprise' - we've all been there! Looks like somebody thought that brass was a good welding rod - hate that stuff. You're making some great progress and you'll have her on the road soon.

Aaron D. likes this.
  24. Aaron D.

Aaron D.

1947knuck likes this.
  25. Great job so far ... subscribed

Aaron D. likes this.
  26. Hugh Jones

Hugh Jones
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

27. Rand Man

Rand Man

28. Aaron D.

Aaron D.

Thanks Rand Man

I finished spraying the epoxy primer on the back portion of the body today. Lots of prep work on the interior.
    IMG_1477780473.467566.jpg IMG_1477780489.692733.jpg IMG_1477780502.367674.jpg IMG_1477780512.465578.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

29. Aaron D.

Aaron D.

A little progress on the Coupe:)