Register now to get rid of these ads!

AAARRRGGH! Rust in the eye!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by vintagesurvivor, May 23, 2006.

1. vintagesurvivor

vintagesurvivor
    from detroit

When I took the survivor out for a shakedown run this weekend, tons of dust and debris fluttered about when I hit the main road and acclerated.
    I blew it off as all bondo dust and what not, but yesterday my eye started swelling and turning red, and today I went to the Doc, who found two pieces of RUST in my right eye.
    Let me tell you, this is painful stuff, no doubt. It was all removed, but I have a lot of pain in the eye now, and it's going to go on for a while till it heals.
    Guys, be careful. This was a simple thing you would never think of.
    Blow out the car with compressed air and goggles on before driving an open car!!!

Mark

Attached Files:

• eye.jpg
      eye.jpg
      File size:
      34.2 KB
      Views:
  2. attitudor

attitudor
    from Finland

My eye was drilled once in hospital after not using goggles. The piece of rusty metal started to build a home into my eye after two days of pain... Gross. I learned my lesson but that affected to my vision.

3. vintagesurvivor

vintagesurvivor
    from detroit

I wasn't even DOING anything, just driving! Be careful men (and ladies)!

Mark

4. dodgerodder

dodgerodder

Yep, I've been there too. Had to get it drilled out, it sucks. I was grinding, WITH safety glasses, but a piece still bounced under them.

Now I wear goggles with a rubber "cushion" around it to seal the safety glasses to my face. The eyes are too important to damage. Hope your recovery is speedy!

5. Spitfire1776

Spitfire1776
    from York, PA

Same here. 1/16 slither stuck for 3 days before cut out. Wore glasses but bounced underneath and into the lens.

6. vintagesurvivor

vintagesurvivor
    from detroit

Hmmmmm, theres a lesson here somewhere ,LOL. I wasnt even grinding though, dammit!
    Hahahaha, I guess anything can happen.....

Mark

7. rustfarmer

rustfarmer
    from Hawaii

Mark,
    Thanks for the reminder. I try using common sense when working on my car. Unfortunatally sometimes I cut corners when I am grinding things that won't take that long. And I have paid for my stupidity. I have a friend who was using a cut off wheel and the wheel blew up. Unfortunatally there was no guard on the cut off wheel and he wasn't wearing eye protection. He ended up losing an eye. He was just making a small cut - in fiberglass no less. I have been in the ER a few times basically for stupid things I have done when I knew better. But, what happened to you is just unlucky. Thanks for taking the time to educate everyone on the HAMB of what can happen.

aloha,
    rustfarmer

8. buschandbusch

buschandbusch
    from Reno, NV

had the same thing happen the first few times I took my A out, and it's a closed car (well, there's a lot of unsealed areas, like the floor for one!). All that rust dust and 60 years of crap hiding in every crevice got everywhere. Lucky we wore goggles after we learned our lesson first time out in our T......

9. Been there done that. The call it a rust ring. The metal in the eye skins over real fast and they have to go in and dremmel it out.

I'm sure driving the car makes up for all the pain:D

10. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

happened to me before a trip to chicago, working on a 5.0. hurt like a bastard. i only work on chevies now, they never tried to blind me.:D

11. Redneck Smooth

Redneck Smooth
    from Cincinnati

Thanks to a similar thread on here awhile back I bought a faceshield and wear it when I'm grinding/drilling/cutting/etc...

12. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

Ouch! Sorry to hear that happened to you brutha but thanks for mentioning it! I wear safety glasses regularly but yeah sometimes I still get some crap in my eyes. A face shield is a good idea.

13. TexasHardcore

TexasHardcore
    from Austin-ish

ARGGGGGGG I had to wear a patch for a week when I got a metal splinter in my eyehole. That fucker rusted by the time I realized it wasnt coming out. They got a little grinder after it and buffed it out. I've never felt such pain in my entire life.

14. Dan1955

Dan1955

Been there done that as well. The only positive thing is that the eye heals quicker than any other part of the body. As long as no permanate damage was done to vision. Keep it well lubed during healing.

15. Machinos

Machinos

So what kind of eye protection do you guys use? I've got these "science class" type goggles but I STILL get crap in my eyes, plus they fog up really bad. I've thought about getting a good pair of professional-type swim goggles, but somehow that just seems wrong...

16. Jerry_Rolls&Pleats

Jerry_Rolls&Pleats
    from Europe

It happened to me once. I just wanted to grind off a little piece of metal from a steel rod... just for one second, so I thought I wouldn't bother with the goggles... but a little triangle of metal flew into one of my eyes. I could see it in the mirror, it was scary. I had to get it removed at the hospital. The next 2 days were soooooo painful :(

I was lucky, it could have been worse!

17. Frank

Frank

Instead of safety glasses, I prefer to use a full face shield. I have a enough scars on my face, I don't need another should a die-grinder disk decide to fly apart.

I was wearing just safety glasses while using my gas trimmer once and I hit something that shot straight up my nose. I think it was some kind of seed. The pain was hard to describe, but blood just started gushing out. I wear a full face shield for now on.

18. haring

haring

Oh god, I hope you can laugh about that now. I'd hate to make light of your pain, but that made me laugh. I'm sorry.

When I was 5, my friend's sister squished a bean up her nose and had to go to the hospital to have it removed.

A buddy of mine was wearing an eyepatch last week for the very same reason as the initial post. He was case grinding and then got metal in his eye when he was blowing the shavings off his clothes with the air nozzle. Same story -- the docs had to grind out the metal after it started to rust fuse to his eye.

About two days before this, I told him he should wear a full face shield when grinding, but he kind of shrugged off the suggestion.

19. JAM

JAM

I wear the goggle type safety glasses. It's almost impossible for a stray piece of metal to hit your eye. All it takes is a blinding light and a drill coming at your eye to learn your lesson.

Oh, and if you think you're a bad ass and squinting is enough, let me tell you- you not so bad when you're on the table praying that the doctor doesn't have a nervous tick.

20. panheadguy

panheadguy
    from S.E. WI

I learned about eye safety on "American Chopper"!

21. SPEEDBARRONS

SPEEDBARRONS

In cases like these Ive used a strong magnet to pull crap out of my eye, Keep it in the tool box, might save you trouble, might not