Register now to get rid of these ads!

AAA Denied my Tow!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ramrod2624, Feb 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lets see.........

Attached Files:

2. 41woodie

41woodie

Not to be a prick about the problem but I can't imagine anyone thinking that a car that was disabled intentionally should be covered by AAA towing. About the same concept as you burning your house down on purpose and expecting your fire insurance to cover the loss.

3. Pir8Darryl

Pir8Darryl

I dis-agree, the car was prepared by the owner for service at a repair facility... He's not collecting on an insurance policy for profit, simply using the benefits he's already paid for.

4. Let me see if I get this straight. You can have AAA tow your car all over town at your whim. First to the body shop, then to the upholstery shop, then the glass guy, maybe a quick stop at the gas station for a fill up and a Big Gulp, over to the tire shop, then to the alignment shop, etc., etc., all because the car doesn't run and you need a few things done. I have never had AAA, so I can't check my policy to see if they offer that sort of service but I seriously doubt it. If so, I'm signing up first thing in the morning and selling my trailer. Some may have had vehicles towed by AAA for similar reasons, but I think it was the tow truck driver ripping them off. He can tell them whatever he wants and they would have no reason to doubt that it was a roadside emergency and pay his tow fee without question

5. TomP64

TomP64
    from Vancouver

Geez, sounds like some or you people probably make insurance claims to pay for engine rebuilds from overrevving too. :rolleyes:

6. zorch

zorch

A whisker off topic but not really--I went into NAPA the other day and noticed a dirty sticker on the door I never saw before--about a AAA discount. I was buying a brake drum for my daily-driver 86 El Camino so I asked for it. The bill went down from $49 before tax to $43 including sales tax.

Cool.

They said the discount depends on which mfgr you're parts come from, so I'm guessing, as a former parts man, that it drops down one level in the price sheet, in this case, I guess, from "Break it off in the stranger, Leon," to "I guess you ain't such a bad guy."

Anyway, if you're like most guys here, you can probably save the annual AAA cost and then some if your NAPA does this deal.

Ask. :D

7. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

There are times that we should just say no. I'd call my insurance and cancel the policy, wait for the refund, then if I really wanted a towing service I'd shop around. I have towing on my Haggerdy policy, not AAA.
    Screw them.

8. OH MY!
    So AAA is tired of moochers committing fraud on them?

The nerve of AAA !!!

You mean that if I bring back a four-flat parts car they won't come and fix my flats for free?

Boo hoo. What's the world coming to?

All moochers should boycot AAA!

Let us send the mooching business elsewhere. AAA doesn't deserve their business.

So the term "DUDLEY DO RIGHT" is meant to ridicule honesty, while fraud and theft is to be applauded?
    Why would an honest tow driver want to be complicit in the theft?

When you have an honest one, you make sure to call him names, right?

I don't know about anyone else, but I sure would prefer dealing with an honest shop over one that would eagerly participate in any sort of fraud.
    When you DO find a shop that helps you with the fraud, if you had any sense you would run the other way.
    Would you?

Think about it for a moment. Do you want a shop with your ethics?

Think about it for a moment.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2009
  9. AAA Plus, bargain in an emergency, in my opinion.

10. You related to the guy who stole those 32 doors in the other tread?

11. NostalgiaT

NostalgiaT

Convinece two yes but Hey AAA will to any car you are riding in. So I have helped a buddy or two out with getting there car towed a time or three. Hate to se something never get used. Was yours a conviace two to a body shop yea. If you said it was going to a garage then maybe a little more beliveable. Do most dirvers Car no. There is always the one true blue that can be a pain though.

12. I fail to see where you guys think AAA is getting ripped off in any way, shape or form.

You pay to have the service. I have been a member for over 15 years. I have had maybe 2 tows in that time.
    those 2 tows have cost me over $1500, for a few miles.

like I said before, I tow all my own dead cars around. I do not call AAA.

As far as a morality lesson from some of you, pack it up.
    I'm the first guy to tell the cashier they gave me too much change, or didn't charge for something. I will also give the guy back his money he dropped, and refund people that are not happy with a sale.

Alot of us "bend the rules" every now and then. We have hotrods that take alot of the rules to the limits. And then some.

As for the driver that walked from that tow, at most yards, he would have been fired. Flat out. That is a business, established to make money for the owner.
    Perhaps that mindset is why our economy is in the crapper, but it is what it is. A couple of guys hooting and hollering about it isn't going to change it.

I thought dudley do right was funny. To give some of you with a stick up your butt a chuckle.

13. So we live in a world with too much honesty going around. That is the real problem, eh?

14. It's not like you were broke down or disabled.I don't think they should have to tow you everytime you need to move your car.Just my 2 cents.

15. Convince-tional wisdom says, if you're gonna tear cars down to the bare bones and rebuild them, you aught to have a truck capable of towing them around so you can do it your damned self. Leave AAA for the people who think an oil change is something you do once a year.

16. Maybe I am on both sides of the fence, more on the tow operator's side, depending on how you interpret what I'm saying.

I am for being honest, and I do not lie cheat and steal. the world as a whole, is alot different.
    Maybe that is what I am saying.

I do not use AAA in the way of the original poster. But AAA gets paid from him, the tow place gets paid from AAA. Nobody gets hurt. If you think AAA pays them more than 20-30 bucks, well, sorry they don't.
    And they make the contract station buy new trucks, etc that cost them alot of money.
    Tow yards do not make the money you think, unless they have police contracts. These guys are in business to make money. Like I said, all the yards up here dropped the AAA contracts. No money in that.

Like I said before, the society we have today is built on deceit. from the government down to the guy that's begging for a nickle at the store.

Does that make it good? No. Do I like it? No. Do I participate in this? No. But that is the way it is.

As rusty new yorker said, if you are gonna have junkers, have your own truck and trailer to shift them.
    I move all my own junk.

17. Exactly.

18. ramrod2624

ramrod2624

I agree with both points of view on the thread for the most part, yes AAA is a road side emergency company. but heres the comments and questions I have now. First, if I had a blown engine on a newer car and I pulled the engine before taking it to the shop for repair to save a few bucks that woud be ok right? is that still a convience tow although the car is going in for repair? same with a wrecked car and doing a little prep work to reduce the cost.
    The other comment I have is if AAA drivers are dudey do rights, then why did the driver make the comment "why take it so far when there are shops closer around that can do the work?" basically what he was saying was he would haul it to a shop close by but didnt want to take it the 50 miles that I wanted.
    so
    agian was he just lazy and wanted to be close to home it being SUPER BOWL SUNDAY? Or
    was he just being as you guys have called it a Dudley do right!?
    either way I plan on trailering it myself out to the shop!

19. chuckw2

chuckw2
    from So Cal

They told me the same thing about bringing the Riviera home. Convinience tows not covered. But my buddy got his Model A taken to the muffler shop and back by them so I guess it just depends on the individual driver.

20. wrecker55

wrecker55

I had a AAA tow service in the mid 70s, got a whopping 5 bucks a call from them, I would of told you the same thing for a 50 mile tow........

21. junkyardroad

junkyardroad
    from Colorado

Not sure what you mean by that. I mean't to convey the feeling that this guy is trying to take advantage unfairly of an emergency roadside service that costs a lot of money to take his project somewhere rather that rescue his ass from a problem situation and that I don't really care a rats ass if they didn't honor his bogus claim.

They were correct to turn him down, the driver of the tow truck probably won't get paid for the call, fuel, etc. and he has the balls to bitch about it on the HAMB? I wonder what the fuck is this guy thinking.

22. stagernwings

stagernwings
    from tx

I sure dont want to pay higher premiums because this dolt wants a free ride .this bums probably on welfair also .c

23. You didn't know the drivers get kickbacks from the shops for bringing in work?
    F'n A they do. That is most of their pay. Who in their right mind would roll around in rain sleet and snow in the middle of the night pulling cars for $10
    an hour?

There goes honesty out the window again....they are not so "dudley" and more like looking out for #1.

24. Jessie J.

Jessie J.

Let's see, I pay my AAA premiums for 5 to 8 years without ever once using the tow-service, but the day finally comes around that I need a project car towed 10 miles or so, I'm supposed to just forget all the $$$ that I've already paid out towards the day when I finally would need a tow?
    Meanwhile other members who use up their entire limit year after year, racking up as many as dozen calls in the same period, are A-OK because its only for their daily drivers?
    Don't really matter to me anymore as I finally dropped AAA after decades of throwing money away on it.

25. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

Back to your regularly scheduled program of Traditional Rods & Kustoms...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.