Register now to get rid of these ads!

A word of encouragement if you have never made it to Bonneville

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gasheat, Aug 6, 2012.

1. gasheat

gasheat
    from Dallas

In 2003 I decided I would drive take the plunge and drive to Bonneville. Took a suitcase, sleeping bag, a map and my daughters bicycle. Left by myself on Saturday and got there the next day.....1400 miles. Stayed a couple of days and camped on the salt. Spent two days quietly watching and learning. One of the best experiences of my life with cars. Two years later I was racing. I would recommend this to anyone who has the desire to go but always hesitates. Waiting for your friends to travel or waiting for the money to be right never worked for me. Lots to do during the day and the evening. It is an experience you will not regret. Starts this Saturday. Do it.

Attached Files:

2. MATACONCEPTS

MATACONCEPTS
    BANNED

Yeah, I think I just got my fancy tickled? And you didn't even by me dinner!

3. So-Cal Speed Sacramento

So-Cal Speed Sacramento
    Alliance Vendor
    from Sacramento

4. 1ton

1ton

Hey Gasheat Why did you have to go and post that. I've never been there. Always wanted to go. I seem to have all the excuses why I can't be there. Being well aware of the upcoming events I have settled for "Maybe next year". I was'nt even thinking of bonneville until this post. Now it's going to be like that stupid song I could'nt get out of my head. Bonneville Bonneville Bonneville damn.

5. squirrel

squirrel

6. Roger Walling

Roger Walling

1400 Miles in two days on a bicycle?

You don't need Bonneville , they need you!

7. 1ton

1ton

Get this...I got done posting and told the wife that we need to schedule a family vacation to bonneville next year. Ink it on the calender. Guess what her response was.....come on any guesses...........I've wanted to do this for 45 years and her comment was "I've already done that". It seems that her dad took the family years ago. What the....

8. pitman

pitman

Nope, never thought about it...
    I did sit glued to the seat watching "The World's Fastest Indian" four nights in
    a row when it appeared. Thanks for the reminder.

9. I have a friend that went with his wife 3 years ago and true to fact they are going back this year with a 50 plymouth for his 130 and 150 tickets with a car every gearhead in the county has helpped build.

10. fatkoop

fatkoop

We'll be there!! Some non car folks the other day were asking "why would you want to travel over a thousand miles round trip, and spend mucho dollars, to go stand in 100 degree heat for several days to watch cars for a few seconds try to go real fast?" Me: "If you have to ask, you wouldn't understand"

11. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Perfect answer, fatcoop. I bet even those of us who've seen pics and think we understand...don't really...'til we've actually been there, and experienced it for real. The sights, the sounds, the smells...

And that's the thing...I've often thought about going. But I'm afraid. Afraid I'd get hooked and do just what you said gasheat...be racing in two years!...lol.

Still wanna go sometime. You guys that are going...have a blast!

12. temper_mental

temper_mental
    from Texas

X-2 Its even better if you can go with friends.

Attached Files:

13. First time I went to the flats my wife and I were on a road trip vacation. We came down through Park City in to Salt Lake City. I said I think the Bonneville Salt Flats are around here somewhere, would you mind if we checked it out?

Well we found it on the map and checked it out. No race stuff going on, but damn was it cool. There were some people there at the famous sign, we asked if it was OK to drive on the salt. They said sure, just watch for holes and debris. We drove quite a ways (carefully) on the salt.

I told my wife I was going to open up the old Ford Escape (lol) on the way back. We were going about 85 and I called my dad with my cell. Guess where we are? Zooming along on the Salt Flats ... Woohooo!

When we got home I called one of my buds that is in to cars and made plans to go to the next Speed Week. Four of us went. We had driven long distances to car events many times in the past. After going to Speed Week the first time we were kicking ourselfs in the ass for not going years and years earlier.

It doesn't have to be expensive. Take a car that holds four guys. Split the costs. Camp if you want, or split the cost of a room. You really can do it for pretty cheap if you want. Its about 1700 miles round trip for us. Ive gone by myself when the guys couldn't make it, its that cool =)

14. The37Kid

The37Kid

It's one of the Top Six things to do on my "Bucket List".To those that are going, have fun! Bob

15. Buzznut

Buzznut

The first time I went was in 1999, which was the 50th Anniversary...I was never the same person thereafter. The smell of racing fuel, the sound of salt crystals crushing under race tires, improvised tarp garages, guys sharing tools and parts, bench racing, ice-cold beer in the 93 degree dry heat, bullfrog suncreen covering places you couldn't tell your grandma about, hearing the doppler affect time and again all day long, waiting for the time announcements, taking a picture with Barbie...the tenth time, the sun rising over an alien landscape with hues of orange, yellow and green and setting just as brilliantly right before you head back to the hotel to jump in the pool. There is nothing like it. I've been 6 times...if you haven't gone, you'll never truly understand.

16. Gerg

Gerg

It's on my bucket list but I can't swing it just yet :) Good thing I am only 32 I plan on going more then one time.

17. firingorder1

firingorder1

I think it was Dan Warner that said we only have so many SpeedWeeks in our life. Don't waste them. You can put it on your bucket list and then sit back on your couch, grab a beer and scratch your nuts as you watch the Olympics. Bonneville ain't gonna come to you. I'm heading out on Wed. morning. Its only my fifth Bonneville. But hopefully not my last. At 66 I don't know how many more I got left. But I'm going to try and not waste them.

18. cracker head

cracker head

Word.

We will be hauling ass Thursday morning, Roadster in tow!!!

19. KremerOtha

KremerOtha
    from london

I was'nt even thinking of bonneville until this post.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

20. Everyone of the best vacations I have ever taken has been alone, on a tight budget,
    And spur of the moment. It sounds weird but don't let that stop you.

21. martin

martin

Went last year, second visit, it`s a must do once in your life thing. Ithink the highlight for me was the Pecan pie at the " all you can eat buffet " in Wendover. Thanks for helping us out again Tom. Till next time mate. Martin.

22. coloradodave

coloradodave
    from Colorado

We leave tomorrow, this will be my fifth trip to Speedweek, I rode up with my best friend the first year and we slept in the back of his truck at the bend, we went the first time to watch my Dad run his motorcycle and I have gone back every year since then to help on the bike, last year we ran two motorcycles one of which I get to pilot and I must say that is the most incredible thing that has ever happened to me. (aside from the birth of my children and marrying my supportive wife) Thanks Dad I hope we have many more Speedweeks together.:D:D

23. James Curl

James Curl

A friend and I did it back in 2007 in a 48 Plymouth with a flat head 6. 4800 miles round trip all total and got to visit friends on the salt who ran Bonneville. It is all that they say it is then some, it's Mecca for Hot Rodders and speed freaks.

24. Flipper

Flipper
    from Kentucky

25. Is there a book, "Bonneville for Dummies"? Me and my wife are talking about going, maybe next year. Plans are to fly out close and rent a camper/motor home for a week.

Bob

26. Going for my fourth straight year. No pop-up camper this year. We have a room!! I have always been just a spectator. Have a car built in my head but I don't know if it will ever be real.

27. Koz

Koz

Every time I watch "Duece of Spades" I get the desire to pack up and just go! I know that was filmed on the Cali dry lakes but the feeling is the same. If I'm ever rich I'm putting my roadster on a westward route and driving to Utah and West. Something I should have done long ago.

Have a great time and Pics please!

28. Haven't been since the '80s. I keep meaning to plan a trip, maybe someday.

29. BenD

BenD
    Alliance Member

This time of year I always get this little "Family Circus" style cartoon in my head. You know the ones that included the whole family and have a black line tracing the steps of each character's travels?

Well I always envision this little map of the world with Hot Rods firing up all over the map, far & wide, but in my cartoon the cars are chasing down their own black lines with all of them going straight towards Wendover Utah.

I start chasing my black line at 5am tomorrow morning. We'll be pushing for Mark Dunn's Aussie Bellytank this year, stop by & say hello.

SEE YA ON THE SALT!