Register now to get rid of these ads!

a whole bunch of nailhead questions.....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Sam F., Jan 2, 2004.

1. Sam F.

Sam F.
    BANNED

please for give me for dumb questions,,but i have this FRIEND who just scored a 55 nailhead complete from pan to oil bath,from fan to manual 3 speed tail shaft(well enclosed tail shaft)

my FRIEND told me to ask you guys if he can BOLT up a saginaw chevy 4 speed in place of the buick 3 speed. he wants to know if its just a direct swap for a 53-56 nail head??? or what he might need to do this swap?????

my FRIEND also wants to know about converting over to hydaulic slave cylinder?> is there a certain slave cylinder that is more popular??? he said hes sure that hed have to make a bracket for the cylinder,but thats the easy part.

whats the difference between 53-56 and 57 and up nail head intakes???

does any body make header flanges for nailheads?

and lastly,my FREIND told me to ask if any of you guys might have a 6 deuce intake for a 53-56 nailhead

ill be glad to pass the word on to my friend,..his name is George,,,George GLASS

later,
    sam

2. tootallrodder

tootallrodder
    Member Emeritus

I am doing basicly the same thing. A bellhousing is available to bolt the 4 speed to the early Nailhead. Ive got a 322 which I am connecting to a Saginaw 4 speed. I'm not sure who MFG'd it but I did buy it from a Fellow Hamber. As far as a Hydraulic Clutch I'm sure it can be dne but havn't gotten that far as of yet.

3. Rodshop

Rodshop

I found flanges for the nail on ebay and made headers for mine- from one of those build your own deals. worked pretty well. I am pretty sure I could come up with the guys email if you are looking for flanges.

4. BR, here are some answers to your questions:
    1. Don't know about bolting up a saginaw or similar in place of a Buick 3 speed, but I think there is something that keeps this from working out. Hopefully someone else can add more info. Maybe the trans bolt pattern or the center hole size???
    2. I am sure any slave cylinder could be made to work What about a hydraulic throwout bearing instead?
    3. 53-56 intakes are essentially the same as 57-up, excpet they are narrower. The difference is the block deck height, the heads have the same intake flange pattern.
    4. Any nailhead header flange will work, they are all the same pattern from 53-66.
    5. Look on ebay or similar. You can use a log type manifold for any size, just change the crossover tube dimension, see answer 3 above.

Sounds like a nice score on the engine, just have to figure out how to convert it to open drive.

5. Fraz

Fraz
    from Dixon, MO

Mock it up and see.

See answer to question 1.

Later intakes too wide for early nailhead.

Check eBay, they're on there all the time.

Your FRIEND needs to wait in line behind the rest of us wanting a 6x2 intake. [​IMG]

6. Crestliner

Crestliner

I have a 55 bellhousing with an adapter plate to chevy trans. Think there is a slave cly. some where for that set up. Don't have 6x2 intake, but do have Hilborn injection for it.

7. kustombuilder

kustombuilder
    from Novi, MI

shit Sammy, i did'nt know you had any friends?? [​IMG] ...by the way, was'nt "George Glass" the name of Marsha's IMAGINARY boyfriend on the Brady Bunch??? [​IMG]

8. kustombuilder

kustombuilder
    from Novi, MI

" What about a hydraulic throwout bearing instead?"

this is a good idea, i've seen it done on Nailhead trans swaps before. and like he said, any LOG TYPE 6x2 intake will work.

put up a post asking for the header flanges. i bought a pair from someone then found out later that a couple HAMBers can make them and would have done so cheaper than what i paid on Ebay. i don't remember who offered though. whats this one goin in Sammy?? the shoebox????

9. Sam F.

Sam F.
    BANNED

[ QUOTE ]
    shit Sammy, i did'nt know you had any friends?? [​IMG]

[/ QUOTE ]

actually,your right [​IMG] lol

i guess the hyd throw bearing would be even better,i hadnt really thought about them.

thanks for all the other info guys,i guess ill find out what all needs to be done as far as the 4 speed when i get the engine home,

i still have to pull it out of the car its in right now. a freind of mine bought the car about four years ago and drove it around to work and such,it was a clean low mileage car and the engine ran great and didnt smoke or anything.the fuel pump went out and the clutch started slipping so he then decided he'd restore/customize it and he totally stripped the car apart of all sheetmetal and trim,glass,interior etc. ive been trying to get this engine and trans ever since he bought the car,since he had plans to put a big block chevy in it,but he would never price it, well,he's into bikes now,and ive been trying to sell this old katana,so we ended up making a deal. we are both happy.

mike,its going in the farm truck,and the later buick engine from the truck is going in the shoebox.,i think it should work out pretty good.

10. Buford

Buford

I believe header flanges for the nailhead are '53 to '56 322/264, then '57 to '66 364/401/425 engines. It is possible to modify the Buick bellhousing to accept the Saginaw...1. open center hole to fit the larger Saginaw diameter 2. top mounting holes are close to the Saginaw, I believe one has to opened slightly in the trans, bottom holes have to be drilled and tapped (1/2-13 NC). Please don't pee in my beer if I'm wrong...:) Happy motoring, Frank

11. Sam F.

Sam F.
    BANNED

man,buford.thats cool,thanks for thee info

one thing ive been wondering about and ive never delt with is adapters,,does the extra length of adapters effect the position in which the input shaft and pilot bearing excetera,,it seems like it would affect it?

12. Buford

Buford

All of the adapters I've seen are designed with the length of the transmission front shaft considered.Like bellybuttons, there may be variations. Frank

13. atch

atch