Register now to get rid of these ads!

A week of sanding and all I got was this 'lousy' paintjob...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mel, Jul 4, 2004.

1. Mel

Mel

Last fall I painted the roof and fins on my dodge with walmart spraypaint... yeah, it looked ok for $10, but she needed a little sparkle to off-set all that chrome, and the can-o-sprayglitter just wasn't going to cut it.

So last week I hung out in Bugmans shop, pulling out the bigger dents in my roof and mixing up a sparkly concoction of miscellaneous red pearls. This paint job isn't perfect, but then I've never used a real paintgun before, so I think it's really decent for a first time.... especially for pearl on a roof. Bugman was my savior... keeping me sane all week and helping out when the paint was a bit uneven...

All that's left to do is the black.... that's still the original paint you see in the pics.... soon to be satin black.

Here's a pic of the roof with the spraypaint on it...

2. Mel

Mel

3. Mel

Mel

in action

4. Mel

Mel

2 layers of red primer, and we still ended up priming one more time with grey.

5. Mel

Mel

Yep, we used all that paint.... I think some of it may have been from the 80's... [​IMG]

6. QQMOON

QQMOON

Good on ya Mel
    JR

7. Mel

Mel

our paint booth [​IMG]

8. Mel

Mel

finished!

9. Mel

Mel

better in the sun

10. Mel

Mel

sparkle sparkle...

11. CAS

CAS

Looks AWESOME, Mel.
    Doesn't it feel good to lay down some fresh paint?

12. Zeke

Zeke

Shit that looks great for a virgin. Hell that gives me hope when I get the Stude ready for paint that I could do it myself.

13. It looks great Mel. I can only hope that mine turns out that well.

14. Fat Hack

Fat Hack
    from Detroit

Great Job!! Can't wait to see the whole car painted...gonna be SWEET!! [​IMG]

15. Ooooooooohh, that looks purrrrrrty, Mel. Good job! You'll be lookin' so cool. [​IMG]

16. Slag Kustom

Slag Kustom

looks great for your first time

17. SanDiegoJoe

SanDiegoJoe

Looks real nice. Kinda cool how the final color worked out. Sounds like it was going to be a mystery color, from all the paint that you used.

18. Mel

Mel

Thanks for the kind words guys. It feels really good to be making some progress with the cars appearance for a change.

Some of the paint we mixed in was a mystery pearl... we weren't sure what had been mixed in that unmarked jar cuz it smelt a little like both laquer and enamel. [​IMG]

19. Hey Mate,

That is f'n awesom! First timer and it comes out like that? Gives me hope when I tackle mine...

Danny

20. Machinos

Machinos

That actually looks really really good, which gives me some hope that someday MY car will look half-decent...

21. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

WOW! Awesome job! If Big Olds turns out half as nice as that I'll be a happy camper. Looking forward to seeing it in person next month at the HAMB Drags [​IMG]

22. Mel A littlr bit ago I sent oyu a PM asking about the ol car.
    Never mind, Looks like its doing just fine. [​IMG]
    If you do that well on your first outing, what's it gonna be when you're an ol' fart. Do gurls become ol' farts?
    you done good kid. [​IMG]

23. 55olds88

55olds88

Good work, looks great painting can be a whole lot of fun, just don't get me started on colour matching and painting part panels.......

24. kustombuilder

kustombuilder
    from Novi, MI

looks damn good in these pics MEL! nice job and nice color!! i serious improvement, you must be STOKED!! [​IMG]

25. Upchuck

Upchuck
    from Canada BC

thats fantastic! [​IMG]
    my first paint job I did felt like sandpaper when I was done and no shine either

26. antichrysler

antichrysler

BLING to da BLING!!!

I love it...good job. I bet your so stoked. I love the feeling of a good paint job, and that's a nice job.

27. Looks awesome Mel. You Rock!!!!

28. Revhead

Revhead
    from Dallas, TX

Mel, the paint looks real good. I've had "professionals" shoot stuff that looked ALOT worse. You planning on painting the rest?

29. Considering you last "paint booth" was the line into BTT50s, you had top notch accomodations there! Looks good girl!

30. Wow, you're really making the ol' girl look good. I'll see ya at the drags....