Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features A&W Drive Inn

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by crashfarmer, Feb 17, 2017.

1. Sheep Dip

Sheep Dip
    from Central Ca

Lodi Ca is where A&W started

olscrounger likes this.
  2. Mark Wahlster

Mark Wahlster

Stayton Oregon full on traditional A&W. Even have the phone order system at the tables inside.

3. When I was in high school in the early/mid 60s, we'd pull up to the A&W Saturday afternoons and order a large 7UP. We'd pour about 1/2 out and fill it up with dry gin and sit and watch the hot rods and customs cruise by on the main street. We were in central Oregon and when it got late enough, we'd listen to A.M. radio....we could get XERB in Chula Vista baby! on a clear night...yep, sitting at the A&W listening to da Wolfman! When American Graffiti came out I thought they'd lifted the movie's premise from our little central Oregon town.
    Man! I'd give anything to have had enough sense to have shot those days with my parent's 8MM movie camera!
    Sitting at the A&W watching multiple 55-57 chevys, Gilbert's hotrod 27 chevy with a 283, Skeen's super fast 409, 62 impala, Shepard's yellow V/8 53 Stude coupe, Don's supercharged/4 speed 57 Golden Hawk, "Stinky's" 55, 150 with 327/4 speed and open fenderwell headers, Bobby's blue 56 vicky with a killer 312 and a 4 speed with chrome wheels...and about 300 more.
    Good thing the girls brought the 7UP out to us because no way we could go in to get it...

4. upload_2017-2-26_6-37-27.png upload_2017-2-26_6-38-10.png upload_2017-2-26_6-39-34.png Still in Orwell, Ohio
    23 W Main Street
    It has the mural too.

Ron Funkhouser likes this.
  5. Blacktop VooDoo

Blacktop VooDoo

There is an A&W in Mentone California. No car hops. We go there often for a "Root Beer Freeze."

6. One of those is in Dexter, (right next to Ann Arbor). It's about five minutes from me. The last time I went I was driving a '66 Mustang which makes it at about ten years ago. Not sure why we never go, just doesn't seem the same in a modern daily driver I guess.

7. BLUDICE

BLUDICE

Where
    at in Indiana??

8. Milwaukee used to have one on 27th st.
    South of Layton. Now a used car lot I believe. It was a hang out for us for awhile, had a carshow once a week.
    I got to go up to Cedarburg, Wi. and check out Wayne's drive in. They advertise a lot on the radio during the summer. I guess it's the hot spot for car guys. www.waynesdrivein.com

9. dave plmley

dave plmley

I've been there many times after stopping at Doug's Fishfry. I live in the Nashville area, but lived outside Corning until a few years ago. Some things I miss about NY, but not enough to stay there. Couldn't take taxes and weather, also this area is a mecca for hot rods and exotic cars. There are 12 cylinder Bentley's and Bugatti Veyron's running around the place, we get bored looking at plain old Ferraris.

10. Yeah I understand moving out of NY ! Sounds like you are in a Great Place! Dougs Fish fry is amazing I really miss working in Cortland time for a spring road trip in the Hot Rod if it would stop snowing. Hobo Jim

11. crashfarmer

crashfarmer
    from Iowa

a&w.png I found out today that there is an A&W location in Urbandale, Iowa that I didn't know about. My daughter and her boyfriend ate supper there last night.

7421 Douglas Ave,

Urbandale, IA 50322

It's where Long John Silver's has been forever, I've gotten sick eating in that building more than once. Long John Silver's food always made me feel ill after I ate it.

12. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

It's the steak & shake around here that makes everbody sick !!

13. cshades

cshades
    from wi

Our A&W just opened for the year last Friday. My buddy went and grabbed lunch there on Tuesday and dropped me a chili dog w/raw onions on the way by. Heartburn city later but worth it.