Register now to get rid of these ads!

A vacation with my Dad down Route 66

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by PRDDETROIT, Aug 3, 2010.

1. Hi all, I'm writing this post because this vacation I have coming up is very important to me. My Dad raised me and taught me about cars since I can remember. I was in love with the automobile. Born and raised in the Detroit area... How could you not? My folks always tired to give me and my brother the best life they could. Even when they didn't really have the extra cash... they still provided for us and even got us things we wanted when they really couldn't afford it. They're the best and I love em both very much. Anyway, I'm 37 now and doing well in my career and was recently able to buy my first 63 Buick Riviera. I've always loved that style Riv. I've had a number of old cars (some bad, some good) but this one means a lot. So after purchasing this Riv and driving it home through 120 degree desert heat in AZ. If it made it through that??? this car would go anywhere. So I thought.. "My Dads never been to CA" ( wont fly)" And I have three weeks off work coming up and I usually go home to Detroit to see the family for a little bit". I got the Riv which runs and drives like a brand new car. And my Pop is a huge Route 66 fan. He's always wanted to take his 66 Corvette (his dream car which he drives quite a bit) on whats left of the old road but also the whole path from IL to CA. One day he will. But for now... I got him a train ticket to L.A. (where I live) and I'm going to pick him up on August 15th , Show em around L.A. a little bit since its his first time there. A history tour (from a Hot Rodders view) and then we hit it the morning of the 16th down Route 66 (what parts we can that are still there) all the way back to Detroit. I havent taken a proper vacation in years and growing up, we used to take road trips either with my parents or grandparents. I love those times. But now I get to do this for my Dad. I love em very much and times are tough in Detroit and i'm so happy that I can finally afford and be able to do this very special ride in my dream car with my Dad. The only thing missing is the way I want the car to look. Supremes, An Air Ride and thats it. But, I just bought it and have to save the cash for the goodies. Next time maybe, I can drive mine (when it's finished the way i want) and Dad can take his Vette with Mom. I'll post some pictures from the trip if anyone is interested. I love you Dad and cant wait to do this, Dave

Last edited: Aug 3, 2010
  2. eric

eric

very cool dude!!!
    i love road trips, doing it behind the wheel of your car makes it even more special. make sure to bring a camera!

3. For sure. I know he's gonna take a lot of pictures.

4. nummie

nummie

sounds like a blast. I doth covet. would love to see pics.

5. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Awesome idea. I am sure he will be thrilled and you both will enjoy the experience together. Just take your time and keep in mind it is all about the experience and spending the time together, not just getting there. Make the extra effort to actually see things along the way and tell and listen to stories. Definitely post the pics. I am sure a lot of people on here will be interested. I know I will be.

edit: nice car too by the way.

6. fat57

fat57

Hey Thats great .I day me and my son,s are going to drive route 66 .please post photos .Its a long way from sydney australia
    See-ya

7. 69supercj

69supercj

Awesome, and pics are a friggen MUST!!!!!

8. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Good for you! It'll be a great trip.

9. Very nice idea. Have fun.

10. Kool66

Kool66
    from Dearborn

To all-I was touched by the comments my son Dave made.He's a good kid,even at 37!I'm looking forward to the trip as it's been several years since i've been back on the Old Road.I've taken it several times in my 66 Corvette but only a far as Carthage,Missouri from Chicago.I love those narrow bridges and small towns you go thru.It must have been exciting and terrifying all at the same time back in the day sharing those narrow roads with all the truck,bus and car traffic.It should be a blast. Lou

11. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Hey, thanks for joining Lou. I hope you and your son Dave have a great time. That is the kind of stuff we live for. Share the memories from the trip with the rest of us if you can. Maybe even do live updates along the way if possible. We love that kind of stuff on here.

12. Lovelowsixties

Lovelowsixties
    from Sweden

A great sunshine story that really inspires! I will be 37 too this year and are working on my dreamcar as well. A '64 Riviera.. Just got my airride suspention kit and will hopefully get a set of supremes in the future. Are going with a set of 15 inch wirewheels with twobar spinners. It's not a nice, working car in good condition as yours though so I have disassembled just about everything to be able to restore it into the beutyful car I'm dreaming of. Originally a california car, it has been imported to Sweden where I live. Good luck and best wishes with your Riviera and the roadtrip with your dad! / Tommie

13. Ashcraft

Ashcraft
    from Colorado

Sounds like a great time. Spend time with your dad while he's still around. I wish mine was.

There's a Mexican restaurant named "El Pinto" on old Route 66 between Albuquerque and Bernalillo NM. Great place for lunch, especially on a nice day out in their patio dining room.

Nice Riv.

14. NM Sandrail

NM Sandrail
    Member Emeritus

Hi.... A good suggestion is to do a search on Route 66 on the HAMB and read through all the neat stuff that there is and all the photos of those who have went before you...

Check this website as I love it... Click each state and then each of the towns through each state.. This is a GREAT resource...:):)

http://www.theroadwanderer.net/route66.htm

Be safe and enjoy it all!....(duane) 42 miles south of Santa Rosa, NM and Route 66..

15. Retrorod

Retrorod

Good luck!! I know you will have a great time.

My wife and I will always remember our Route 66 trip last year as one of the most memorable things we've ever done in the 38 years we have been married.

Remember, there are all sorts of great people along the way. We had a problem in Santa Rosa, New Mexico and at Bozo's Garage he pretty much shoved all his work aside to help us get going again. Just one example of Rodders helping Rodders.

16. aldixie

aldixie

We just did a stretch a couple of weeks back from Arcadia in Oklahoma through to Needles California. It was a great trip, we are now planning our next stage form Oklahoma City to Chicago. Lots of the Route is still present in Oklahoma and well documented. The Drive we did from Kingman to Oatman was fantastic for the winding road and 20 Mph speed limit. The tourist information service in Arizona and New Mexico have some great guides that are worth following although the pictures they show are about 10 years out of date.

17. The Rivi is ready for the trip down Route 66 with my Pop. He gets in sunday morning and I'm gonna show him around L.A. and then we hit it Monday morning. I cant wait. We'll up date with photo's when possible.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

18. bb1970

bb1970

Man I hope you have a great time. I have been from Kingman to Chicago. Not all on the same vacation but at different times. There are cool things in every state. And some times it is hard to find the old 66. But take your time. It is marked pretty well. And there are shitloads of maps available. Oklahoma was the best for me. More stuff to see. Your Riv looks great. My Rivi gets 11-12 mpg on the highway (if I keep it at 65mph). Better take a buschel basket of cash just for gas! :D

19. low-n-slo54

low-n-slo54

That is a beutiful car and I sent you a pm.