Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects A V/8 parts gathering. New pics ,02/01 24

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 48fordnut, May 16, 2017.

1. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There are issues with my wife's health comparable to those you face and at times, I seem unable to get anything done. I make it a point to read your latest posts in this thread for inspiration. You amaze me by your progress considering the limited time you have to devote to your project. Maybe, one of these days, we will be at the same gathering and be able to talk over our cars and laugh about the long journeys we've taken to get them there.

Atwater Mike and 48fordnut like this.
  2. cederholm

cederholm

Can you share a link for that model A spring adapter?

Thanks,
    Carl

rpm56 and 48fordnut like this.
  3. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

20181226_134805_resized.jpg 20181226_134817_resized.jpg

Top half of frame painted, rain tomorrow, might be able to get the bottom this evening. Doubt it.
    Happy New Year.

jim

alanp561 likes this.
  4. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

Carl LMK if you can't find it. I went to google and it came up.

jim

cederholm likes this.
  5. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

20181226_151918.jpg
    Both sides painted now.

6. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

Merc eng on stand of it's own. Not much done but small steps. 3 5/16x 4. Have to drill lifter bores, and clean up. Lay the crank next week. 20181229_125442_resized.jpg

Aaron D. likes this.
  7. Cliff Ramsdell

Cliff Ramsdell

Jim,
    Things are looking good. Are you gonna do a small kick up in the back of the frame or run it stock and go with the reverse eye spring only?

Hows' the rest of the motor setup going? I see you went with an 8CM motor for your build up, nice.

Cliff Ramsdell

48fordnut likes this.
  8. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

Hi Cliff,
    My other frame had a 4'' z in the rear. With new subrails I decided I did not want to cut them . So I sold that frame and acquired another. I will be using a rev eye spring.

Going to run the 8cm as a 59a with the intake and heads, along with the crab dist. Will run a PCV system under the intake. Run the 59a water pumps also. there are some places on the block that has to be plugged.

Before I do any thing else I have to drill the lifter bores to facilitate adj the lifters.

jim

9. Cliff Ramsdell

Cliff Ramsdell

Jim,
    Nice, I think the 59AB looks better but that’s just me.

Your doing a great job moving ahead while going backwards on the frame.

When will you start getting the body together? The sheet metal looks nice. Can’t wait.

Cliff Ramsdell

Last edited: Dec 30, 2018
    48fordnut likes this.
  10. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

Thanks Cliff.
    The frame swap was/is a big thing for me. I didn't want to cut new metal.

Body will start in the next couple of weeks, as soon as my friend finishes up a couple of race car projects.

I think I have the correct bell housing and starter plate. I have 3 transmissions that I will be taking the best parts and combining with Van Pelt parts to make a complete 78 case top loader.

This week I hope to drill the lifter bores .Clean the block and possibly lay the crank.

Happy New year.

jim

11. rpm56

rpm56

Damn Jim, 79 and kicking butt! You're doing a great job with all that's going on in your life. You are my new hero!

brad2v, Cliff Ramsdell and 48fordnut like this.
  12. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

13. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

With a little search, lots of folks putting a Brookville body together. Lots of info.

Atwater Mike and Nick Agius like this.
  14. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

Thinking is my problem. Thinking about selling all of my roadster parts and have less stress in my life.
    It's just a thought but the more I think about it ,seems logical.
    Bad way to start the new year.

15. Cliff Ramsdell

Cliff Ramsdell

Hey Jim, happy new year brother.

Ok, with that being said the Hot Rod shouldn’t be a point of stress but a point of relief from the stress of every day life. I took time off my car a few years back, too much going on and I needed to focus on that.

I sold my OT 340/ 4 speed car years ago, a little pressure in life that an influx of cash at the time could help with but in the long run it was a HUGE mistake.

Take a step back and not a step away. Think of all you have done so far for a man of 79 years old, kids less than half you age couldn’t do a fraction of what you have accomplished.

Keep you head up and move forward even if it’s a little bit at a time. If you need something, drop me an email.

Cliff Ramsdell

barrnone50 and brad2v like this.
  16. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Jim, I gotta say that there is no way I could have said that as well as Cliff said it, and I totally agree with it. I sold out once years ago on my '32 Ford 3wdw and have regretted it ever since.

barrnone50 and Cliff Ramsdell like this.
  17. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

Jim,

It's not really my place to make comment about your thoughts regarding the possibility of selling your ride, but please consider Cliff's advice. It's good advice. and I say this as a guy (younger than you) with sellers remorse after thinking selling a car would be the end of all the issues we suffered from at that time.

sure it worked for a while, but the desire to indulge myself and build a hot rod has stood the test of time, and I am still to get another car underway.

Life's pressures (and you have some large ones) ebb and flow, and with time they may become easier.

Please shut the workshop door, undertake tasks that need doing, and one day, come back to the build - you have been an inspiration for a lot of guys here. You have done some amazing this to date, despite where your life is at.

good luck with everything.

barrnone50 and Cliff Ramsdell like this.
  18. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

Thanks guys. I needed a bit of refreshment.
    Will be working on the trans . Ordering bearings and small parts from VP tomorrow.

Thanks.

jim

brad2v, Cliff Ramsdell and Stovebolt like this.
  19. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

Did a couple of things today. I talked with V/P last evening and he steered me in the right direction on the trans. I have a mix match of parts, and a complete side shift trans. I will be getting some parts and putting the side shift parts in to a 39 case. All the gears look good, will need one bearing.

Next I matched up some brackets for the 28 body, and labeled them.

Now I have the biggie. Cleaned the fresh out of the machine shop 8cm block and drilled the lifter bores for a rod ,to adjust the lifters. Ordered some graphite rope seals.

Feel better now that I'm working on something I know about.

Jim

Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
    Crusty Chevy, Stovebolt and chopndrop like this.
  20. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

For the guys that have never torn a early ford trans down, the V/P book is great. I just finished a early ford side load 3 speed trans. The gears are near perfect as well as the case. I am going to use the parts inside a 39 top load case. New syncros and 1 new bearing. What a easy job . Mac Van Pelt all the way.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2019
    sidevalve8ba and brad2v like this.
  21. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Jim, IIRC, there is a difference in the location of the groove in synchro outer sleeve between 39and pror top shifter trans and '40 and later side shifter synchro, and use of late synchro in top shifter case requires a top shifter assy. from a '40or later p'up trans. Been almost 60 years since I had any dealings with a pre '49 Ford trans, but I do remember there is a possible "gotcha" of that or similar nature.

22. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

I saw that. It's all covered in V/P book. Quite an experience. will order parts tomorrow.

Thanks Dave,

jim

23. 100% Matt

100% Matt

24. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

Tomorrow.
    Thanks.

jim

25. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

Spring was delivered about 10 min ago. Nice with bushings installed

100% Matt likes this.
  26. Cliff Ramsdell

Cliff Ramsdell

Sounds like a better frame of mind Jim there.

Keep going brother, we are here to help.

Cliff Ramsdell

brad2v and 48fordnut like this.
  27. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

Joy had a bad day today and mine was busy .It sorta worked out. Esp when the spring arrived as well as my rt side exhaust manifold.
    Pedaling as fast:D as I can.
    :)

28. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

Van Pelts parts arrived today, ,finished cleaning case, and will get bearing pressed on tonight. Assy tomorrow.
    Had another 39 trans tore it down and all looks good .

New spring almost in place .Drivers side connected. Now when I'm not so tired the pass side.

thanks,

jim

29. Cliff Ramsdell

Cliff Ramsdell

Jim,
    Post up some new pics of your progress. I really love the 28/29 body and the roadster is hot looking even though I have a Tudor because of the grandkids.

Soldier on brother, coming along.

Cliff Ramsdell

30. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

Thanks for the kind words Cliff. Really no new pics since I sold the frame. Trying to get the rear reverse eye spring in place,then I can get the frame in the shop and start getting back to step 1.

Todays job is to put the clean out plugs in the 8cm crank and finish clean the crank and check measurements and torque the crank down.

If I can get that accomplished ,I have to put some ft tires on my Jeep Liberty. that the tire shop just installed.

Then I may try the spring a second time, if not That will be Saturdays primary job spring install. 2 straps don't seem to be enough.

Lunch now and out to the shop for a hr.

Thanks,

jim