Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects A V/8 parts gathering. New pics ,02/01 24

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 48fordnut, May 16, 2017.

1. Cliff Ramsdell

Cliff Ramsdell

Nice job Jim, keep plugging forward.

Cliff

48fordnut likes this.
  2. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

Here are the pics, all valves installed, with Cliff R Cliff ramsdell valve adjusting tool.jpg Valves installed.jpg amsdell valve adjusting tool. Going to be a good day.:)

3. Cliff Ramsdell

Cliff Ramsdell

Way to go Jim. How did the tool work for you? Make the job go easy?

Cliff Ramsdell

4. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

Another couple of pics Chopped ws 1.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 23, 2019
    Jalopy Joker and Cliff Ramsdell like this.
  5. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Beautiful finish work inside that cowl, Jim. I'm especially fond of the windshield and posts...just right!
    The old Johnson adjustable tappets were hollow, the older guys showed me a cool trick (I also read it in HRM, this was 1954) Trick was to drill a 1.8" hole thru each tappet boss, in the valley. The drill bit was then inserted backwards into the drilled hole, locking the tappet from turning whilst adjusting)
    I have used that for what, 60 years?
    I once attempted to adjust a customer's valves with the 'lock tool'. My back still remembers that tool, and the '40 fender I was crouched over. Love this thread...

6. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

20190613_103946_resized.jpg 20190613_104002_1_resized.jpg As many of you know I have struggled with installing the valves in a f/h.
    This is what I have learned.
    1 Drill the holes for lifter adj about 5/8'' of a inch down in the lifter bore.
    2 Install each lifter and make sure it moves smoothly in the bore.
    3 Install cam .
    4 Start with the install of the valves and adjusting as you go. Put a check mark on each valve as it is finished.
    5 Install crank and pistons

I have always built the ohv engs with the crank and pistons first. Not on the F/H .

With the valves installed along with the rotating assy ,it takes 23 lbs of torque to turn my eng over.
    Don't know about others, but my ohv engs around 18 20 lbs. Without the valve train.

This has been a humbling experience for this old man.

Without the Hamb and it's members ,Cliff Ramsdell in particular I would probably had some one else do this.
    The Crab dist with the valve numbers showing the valves being on the heel of the cam is great.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2019
    OFT, continentaljohn, cactus1 and 2 others like this.
  7. glamb

glamb

Great progress Jim! Glad to see you’re still at it. Wish I had time to come up and help.

Garon

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Cliff Ramsdell and 48fordnut like this.
  8. WTF really

WTF really

Awesome job thanks for sharing your learning process

Cliff Ramsdell and 48fordnut like this.
  9. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

Thanks for Reading it Owen.

jim

Cliff Ramsdell and WTF really like this.
  10. Cliff Ramsdell

Cliff Ramsdell

Jim,
    First I’m glad your making progress on the motor and I’m glad you got all the valves together, installed and the valve lash set.

How’s the rest of the motor coming, heads and intake setup? How about your transmission and clutch setup?

Second, thanks for the shout out. I enjoy helping others and it’s been my pleasure to help you with your project.

Any man who at 79 years old is building a flathead powered roadster while keeping up with the yard, house and wife is a man who has my respect and admiration, keep up the great job brother.

Cliff Ramsdell

OFT, WTF really and 48fordnut like this.
  11. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

Thanks Cliff.
    You and others that give me thumbs up are what keep me going.
    Heads are going on tomorrow to check quinch then get milled. Trans is on the bench, intake has 2 good 97s and one apart with a kit . Crab dist is finished with Petronix.. Big bump in the road now is the pan. Bottom is pretty beat up, and has a couple of pin holes in a crease. Going to talk to Van Pelt in a couple of weeks about water pumps.8cm with a crab dist may be a problem.
    Monday I take on another task, having my upper teeth pulled and a plate installed. Probably be down for a day or so.

Happy Fathers Day to all of you guys. Best Wishes to those with health problems.

jim

Atwater Mike and Cliff Ramsdell like this.
  12. Bill Nabors

Bill Nabors

Jim, you may have to come up here and help me and Owen get out stuff together. Good luck with the teeth.

13. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

Thanks Bill. One man does not know it all. This is just a small victory. Many others have traveled this road.

Not looking fwd to the tooth problem.

jim

Cliff Ramsdell likes this.
  14. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

Just a couple before I leave to have my upper teeth pulled.Will be back Wed. The crack in the rt hand water pump area has been welded. The welder said he didn't think it would have leaked. I wanted to be sure.

see ya,

jim

Crab dist..jpg [ATTACH=full

Attached Files:

Jalopy Joker, Shaun1162, OFT and 2 others like this.
  15. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

Frame 2.jpg OLd pumps.jpg Problem with fan belt.jpg
    Now to figure what I need for water pumps.
    Another step forward .Today I took the alumn heads to the machine shop for milling. I have about .050 clearance, after milling

Attached Files:

16. Cliff Ramsdell

Cliff Ramsdell

She’s looking good Jim. Nice mock-up on the body parts on the frame, you gonna get the body laid up there and welded together?

Motor looks killer. I see you have the 49-53 car pumps. Are you going to run those or early 37 to 48 pumps and such to go with your heads?

Cliff

17. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

Thanks Cliff.
    My today job is to make a pattern of your Valve adjusting tool. Will be sending a pkg your way on Monday.
    Have been measuring the sub rails and will put the blocks in place today. The rest of the body will be slow. I need help lifting the cowl in place.
    My heads have dictated a change of plans. The heads I have are 49 53 8ba heads, now to figure out what pumps to use with the crab dist.

jim

Cliff Ramsdell and Shaun1162 like this.
  18. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

31 Roadster New mt..jpg Valve setting tool accomplished. Will mail tomorrow Cliff.

Not much progress,but frame is level ,sub frame in place with wooden blocks

will tighten down tomorrow. All 1/2 bolts went in ok. Frame 1.jpg Frame 2.jpg Have webbing for the rails

Cliff Ramsdell, OFT and WTF really like this.
  19. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

No pics today. New phone ,I can take pics but can't send.

Subrails down on frame and finger tight bolts.
    Back half of body assy,tulip panel bolted in.
    Lower deck lid have pliers holding it together.
    I got under the cowl and it's on the frame started on the subrails.

I am beat. Talk about a monkey and a football. Just glad there was no one else there.

20. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

Carried my cross member for the 31 to my welder today after a trial fit. He ask about the body on the 28 and I told him how it was going.Ask how I was putting it together, bolts and vice grips. Goes into the back room and comes out with a spot welder. Try this .Man alive ,glad I know him.

Tomorrow will be doing a couple of test panels,and hopefully getting the phone set up. Pics, pics.

21. Aaron D.

Aaron D.

Hi Jim, If the body panels were originally bolted in, I wouldn't weld them in. I had to remove/install different panels several times during the build process. It's much easier to unbolt a panel than it is to remove spot welds.

Cliff Ramsdell likes this.
  22. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

Thanks Arron. I remember you saying this to me. Will just see how it goes. It will be up to the next owner if it comes apart again. Using bolts now.

thanks,

jim

23. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

tulip panel.jpg Roadster body assembly1.jpg Roadster cowl assembly 2.jpg Roadster cowl assembly 3.jpg

This is what I did yesterday. Today is rest day. Had the phone looked at today, cooking, washing and ironing. At 2:30 when I got up ,did get the shifter in the 31 roadster.Oh yeah the oil pan will get installed.

Thanks, for looking,

jim

24. Cliff Ramsdell

Cliff Ramsdell

Things are moving ahead. She is looking great Jim.

The cowl looks great up there and the body looks like it’s ready to go.

Good job brother, love the pictures.

Cliff Ramsdell

48fordnut and WTF really like this.
  25. bct

bct

very nice work. so clean . parts and pieces look flawless. fun to watch so thanks.

26. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

Thanks BCT, it's comments like yours and others that keep me plugging along.

Today 2 friends are coming over for a short visit. Right at 600 miles round trip.Might be able to set the body on the frame. That would be Great. Will try to get them to pose for pics if that happens.

Thanks,

jim

Cliff Ramsdell and Shaun1162 like this.
  27. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

Bill Nabors, Owen Barnes.jpg Roadster Sat 1.jpg Roadster Sat 2.jpg

Two folks, Friends ,that I have met on The HAMB. Bill Nabors and Owen Barns. Since I've met them all three of us are moving on with our projects.

Moved the frame around so I could get the body mounted. Sudden rain storm slowed us down.

Thanks for looking.

jim

28. WTF really

WTF really

My pleasure to finally meet you in person. Your project looks even better in person. Keep up the good work.

29. Bill Nabors

Bill Nabors

I was the good looking one.
    I had fun helping and and thanks for the deal on the stroker.

30. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

Eng wwith pan.jpg

Finally got the bottom end bolted up. Heads should be ready this week.
    Next water pumps, then intake.