Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects A V/8 parts gathering. New pics ,02/01 24

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 48fordnut, May 16, 2017.

1. WTF really

WTF really

Super excited for you. Looking good. You will be burning that new rubber off before you know it.

2. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

I only wish it was new. Very old some cracks, but I cannot see spending a 1k when I may never be able to drive it. Have my emg brake system almost finished. Right now I can't get my rear drums on. The shoes are retracted as far as they can be. Friend coming over to have a look in a week.
    Thanks for all the encouragement. Can't wait till you get started.

WTF really likes this.
  3. WTF really

WTF really

I'm getting closer to starting. I still need a rearend. I promised a customer I wouldn't start on mine before I got his javeln running. Listen to you. I have no doubt you will drive that beauty.

4. I had a problem getting the drums on using '40 brakes. My drums were NOS and the supplier had arced the shoes for oversized drums (assuming everyone had oversized drums). I wasn't able to locate anyone to arc the shoes so I returned them to the place I bought them and they returned them to the company that relined them to be arced. When they came back they worked fine. Something you might want to check.

Charlie Stephens

WTF really likes this.
  5. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Jim, good to see you making some progress, and in my opinion it's best to use whatever old tires of a close size to what you plan to eventually actually run while building a car. Then when the car is finished you get the tires you are going to run.
    On my roadster I bought a partially built mock up rolling chassis from an old friend who had bought new Coker WW tires while mocking up, then lost interest. The car wound up sitting for several years before I got it, and then it my slow worn out ol ass several more to finish it, and really it still isn't totally finished and I doubt it ever will be:rolleyes:
    But those expensive tires are now a lot older than they would have been if purchased when car was finally at least roadworthy. They are next for replacement as I'm sorta worried about their age when I get stretched out sometimes:eek:
    As for your brakes, I haven't seen anything in your writings or pics to tell me what brakes you have on the rear. But most old pre-48 Fords used the Lockheed type hydraulic, which actually has 2 adjustments on each shoe. There is the obvious one about middle ways of the shoe that has a cam turned from the backside, and there's another on the anchored end of the shoe as the anchor shaft is eccentric and has a locknut that has to be loosened, thus allowing you to adjust the fixed end of the shoe in or out. You want to adjust that end to where you just clear the drum with the heel of the shoe, tighten the locknut and recheck with adjustment on middle of shoe backed off all the way. Then when you install the drum and axle nut, you can adjust the cam adjustment at the middle of the shoe.Been a very long time since I've worked on the old Lockheed type brake as my roadster has the Lincoln brakes which are the more conventional Bendix type with "floating" shoes. Do I'm totally operating on a vague memory of the exact way it's set up.
    Maybe this is where your problem is on them.

6. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

Charlie that sounds like my set up. Mine aren't new drums and that is what is puzzeling me. No chance of returning these. May just have to buy a different brand.
    thanks,
    jim

7. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

Dave ,I have 40 ford Lockheed brakes. No problem on the fts. I have the shoes retracted all the way with the 4 adjustments. Yet they still won't go on.

8. If you can't return them start looking for a place to arc them, after verifying that is the problem. Do you have an old worn set of shoes you can try? Are your shoes an old set that were relined or are they new, maybe from a source with questionable manufacturing standards? You will have trouble finding someone to arc them because a few years back the government regulatory agencies required the arcing machines to be retrofitted to eliminate brake dust escaping when they arced shoes. Most shops didn't spend the money and scrapped the machines since the majority of brakes were by that time discs that didn't require arcing. Check with local Model A and Early Ford V8 Clubs and see if they have a place for arcing shoes? Maybe check with some of the suppliers and see if they offer this service?

Maybe Richard Lacy at [email protected] (mail), earlyv8garage.net (web site), (626) 338-2282, (855) 268-0325 could suggest something. Using the flat rate USPS boxes might make mailing them somewhere a viable alternative.

Remember if you send them out you will need to supply the drum diameters for them to arc to.

Charlie Stephens

9. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

Thanks for the advice Charlie. That's a problem where I live 250 miles round trip to get drums turned, and probably no where to get the shoes arched. After my friend looks at the situation ,I may try Mr Lacy.
    They are new shoes.

thanks,
    jim

10. Cliff Ramsdell

Cliff Ramsdell

Jim,
    What are you running for carbs on your car?

What about an idler setup for the front with a fan mount? Offset generator I’m guessing. What pulley do you have now on the crank?

Cliff

11. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

Morning Cliff.
    I have 3 97 carbs. I do have a offset gen mount, but am stumped with the fan mount. The Edelbrock manifold surface to mount the gen is 2 1/4 '' I think, the fan mount is 3 '' .
    What set up are you running?
    Cleaning shop and working on the emg brake system. Just ordered some small parts from V/P.
    Got to spend a hour outside in the cool watering the yard and the shop.

12. Cliff Ramsdell

Cliff Ramsdell

Jim,
    Nice going. I’ll PM you some shots of my setup. Send me one of the manifold and your offset bracket and I’ll rummage around in the shop and see if I can turn up something that will help.

What radiator/grill shell setup are you running? The 28/29 is shorter than the 30/31 if I remember correctly.

Cliff

13. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

I'm running a 28 9 shell. will have to get pics of the offset bracket ,it's a offy rt side that I'm going to run a 12 volt gen on

14. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

20180709_115144_resized.jpg

Attached Files:

15. WTF really

WTF really

Looking great Jim.

16. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

These are the parts I have. Nothing fits. I don't have a gen yet .My Christmas :) More to come 20180709_190748_resized.jpg

17. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

18. Cliff Ramsdell

Cliff Ramsdell

Ok, piece of cake.

The generator mount goes on the head and that takes care of that. You just use a 37 to 48 generator and you should be good to go.

Now, the fan mount. You can’t just jam that on the intake. You need one of those generator eliminators to route the belt up and over to the generator and that gives you a place to mount the fan assembly.

Got a pic of the crank pulley? I’m thinking it looks like the fist pic I have attached.

Cliff

Attached Files:

19. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

It does. I had planned on shortning it as I don't think I have room.
    What is a generator eliminator?
    thanks,
    jim

20. WTF really

WTF really

This is what they look like Jim. Screenshot_20180709-210752.png Screenshot_20180709-210745.png

21. Cliff Ramsdell

Cliff Ramsdell

Jim,
    I don’t know if you can pull the fan assembly back far enough to clear the distributor and be alingned with the rear belt.

I’ll take some measurements and see what I have here that can help you out.

The 28/29 radiator is shorted so the generator eliminator with a fan mounted on it won’t work either.

Cliff

22. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

Thanks Cliff.
    Fri I'm supposed to get the cowl, so that will give some direction.

23. Cliff Ramsdell

Cliff Ramsdell

Jim,
    My son and I were knocking around some ideas and might have something that could work.

I took pictures of my setup but I pushed my radiator forward 2” to clear. This idea would not require that on a 37 to 48 with the crab distributor in a car like ours.

I made my own generator offset bracket, well modified one to lessen the offset and use the 49 and later generator which I had one all converted to 12 volt. This was before the H.A.M.B. and all those things so we did what we did to make things work.

I’ll send some pictures when we get the fan assembly apart, make some modifications and see what could work in a setup like yours where the generator is mounted to the head and maybe this will work requiring no generator eliminator but bolting directly to the intake where the stud is now.

Cliff

Attached Files:

WTF really likes this.
  24. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

Remember Cliff the intake mount is about 2.5 ''
    Thanks for the help.

25. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

Pics of the 28 cowl. Tank and a pillars were 20180712_152813_resized.jpg off to help with shipping

26. Cliff Ramsdell

Cliff Ramsdell

Jim,
    Looking good. Nice progress. Hows the weather? We got a nice break this week, humidity went down as did the temperatures.

Cliff Ramsdell

27. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

Been sick for a week ,had to scrub plans for the car. Maybe next week.

jim

28. WTF really

WTF really

Hope you get to feeling better soon my friend.

bct likes this.
  29. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

30. Cliff Ramsdell

Cliff Ramsdell

Jim,
    Hope you on the mend. I sent you a PM about the plug wire looms, see if those are what you need.

We have been working on the fan setup also, I’ll update when I have more for you.

Cliff

WTF really likes this.