Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest A Tribute to Bill Squires, and an Overview of the Transport Industry

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Frodo, Dec 9, 2018.

1. Frodo

Frodo

I've just had a wonderful experience in car transport, courtesy of Mr. Bill Squires. I commissioned this car to be built in Holland in June of this year, and it finally arrived in Baltimore on November 30. I had already booked "confirmed" transport to Iowa with Thomas Sunday Inc on November 2, but when I called them to verify exact dates they informed me they would not honor my confirmation and had handed my job off to another company. I declined their offer, and went searching.

Having no experience, I thought it would be relatively easy to find another transport company. I was wrong. I spent the next three days on the phone with many companies, and learned a lot about this industry. It seems the vast majority of auto transport companies who advertise on the internet are outright liars who will promise you everything and deliver nothing. I viewed scores of web pages with pictures of shiny trucks, smiling owners, and glowing reviews, but being suspicious after my experience with Sunday Inc I started doing some checking...

Wanting someone local, I found several companies within 15 miles of me - or at least that's what they claimed on their websites. Already skeptical, I noted that these were in fact "catch-all" sites, with multiple urls and fake Google listings. They had local addresses listed, but they were totally false.

Even worse, it turns out that most alleged transport companies are in fact only brokers who don't even own a truck, much less transport vehicles. They don't mention this when you call, and I only found out when my suspicious nature led me to do some research on these sites and pictures. The same pictures appear on many sites, and are obviously sourced from stock photo companies or outright stolen from other sites. I called a local number claiming an Iowa address 10 miles from me, but when pressed the crook finally admitted he was in Florida...

These deceitful brokers promise anything you want, collect their deposit, then toss your job up on a site called Central Dispatch. This is a clearing house for brokers and truckers, and although some may be reputable I'd say your chances are very slim using this system. You might get someone reliable, but more likely you'll get Bubba in a rust-bucket pickup full of beer cans pulling a greasy swaybacked trailer covered with broken chain binders. One thing is almost certain: you won't get the shiny truck shown on their website, and you won't get the service promised by their broker or their fake reviews. Most likely you'll get a scratched car two months late, if at all.

In desperation, I posted a few threads on some forums I frequent. An individual responded with the suggestion I post here on the H.A.M.B., and recalling that I had an account I started a thread here. I got a lot of suggestions, called a few, and one really stood out - Bill Squires. We connected immediately; I'm a pretty good judge of character and it was clear to me that he was a stand-up guy who could be trusted, but I was very disappointed when Bill said he was taking a break until January.

So I called more, and though most seemed good none were available. I spoke with Cob (who is only a few miles from me here in Iowa) and he agreed with most of the recommendations, but had no solutions. Also a great guy, that is obvious.

Not wanting to wait until January (or Spring, as one nut who thinks the North is impassable in Winter insisted), I called Bill once more. After listening to my sad story he succumbed to my powers of persuasion, and the rest is history. Bill picked up my car three days later, and had it here in 24 hours. He called with updates precisely when promised, and arrived right on time with a cheerful smile and my beautiful little car.

I know it's not a custom or a hot rod, and I admit I'm not really the normal member for such a Forum as this. I like American cars just fine, and have owned a lot of American iron (I'm particularly fond of Nash and Rambler), but this isn't my normal venue. Regardless, I am extremely impressed with this community in general and Bill Squires in particular. You all came through for me, and I deeply appreciate it!

With kindest regards,
    Garry

Smiling Bill Squires:
    bill1 PLATE CHANGED.jpg
    My totally restored 1983 Citroen 2CV:
    bill3.jpg

2. sevenhills1952

sevenhills1952

Fantastic story. Sounds like a great guy.

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

Bill's Auto Works likes this.
  3. Always good to hear good stories about good folks.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

4. catdad49

catdad49

Now, That's a Recommendation! Those Citroens are neat little cars, have fun with it.

mgtstumpy and Bill's Auto Works like this.
  5. john worden

john worden
    from iowa

I'd like to add that the biggies prefer to operate in the "lane" which translates into coast to coast interstate non stop with a full trailer.
    Stops anywhere in between are is always at the bottom of the list.
    I will talk to Bill.

6. He sounds like a real stand up guy. Thank you for your story. I always like to hear good results. You did your homework, and it paid off.

7. rgdavid

rgdavid

Nice 2cv.
    If you need a dificult to find parts let me know,
    Im in france and can get everything for these little cars.

Hnstray and Bill's Auto Works like this.
  8. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

I too had awesome service from Bill this fall. He is great to work with and when I need another car hauled I will be using him again.

9. 5window

5window

No question that Bill's the best guy. Cool 2CV. Now, for a hemi...

Sent from my moto g(6) using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

10. tractorguy and BigChief like this.
  11. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

B83AE4C3-ADBA-40C8-BE11-97ECDEE9FA63.jpeg 8C920C35-0858-4AA8-A50C-DCA0BE6C5D3C.jpeg
    Okay........I have decided to come out of the closet :oops:.......I have two (2) 2CV's, '57 (pictured above) and a '72........and owned another many years ago. They share garage space with several American HAMB friendly cars ranging from 1938 thru 1960 models. ;)

The Citroen 2CV is an absolute marvel of very simple, but exceedingly clever, engineering that attained the goals set for it.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2018